Best CCTV options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best CCTV options?

Request for some help. I have bought a house and am in the process of automating it. Next on my list is surviellance. The house came with a dozen CCTV cameras already hardwired all over the property. They are home run to an existing Lorex LH110 which is a basic Linux DVR box.

I am looking to integrate with HomeSeer, but so far stumped on how to do so. The LH110 can trigger events on motion, close contacts, etc. But otherwise seems fairly closed (e.g. I don't see a screen capture url, way to get images or video into HSTouch).

I don't mind dropping it for a video processor card if it had SW that integrated well with HSPRO. Most of the solutions I have seen on these pages have been for IP Cameras.

What are others using to integrate with Analog cameras?

I've been struggeling with capture cards in the past, and I would not going down that route. I've got a couple of IP based Axis capture devices, and I'm happy with that option.

I'm currently using WebcamXP but I'm planning to look into Zoneminder.
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Thanks. I need to look at Zoneminder. After I posted I realized that the most valuable parts of my current system are the installed camera's and the 1TB drive in my DVR. the DVR itself has little value. I jumped out to ebay and there are tons of used high end CCTV DVR's for less than $100. I will likely troll these threads to find one that will work with HomeSeer and just pick that up.

ASKME

Comment

Personally if you want to play in the Linux world I like Zoneminder. I do have one of two boxes up with 8 analog cameras and a variety of IP cameras (SD and HD).

That said in the Wintel world folks have been playing with Blue Iris which also work with a variety of different cameras.

Most if not all of the "packaged" off the shelf deals are not hybrid with both analog and IP capturing and typically utilize a propietary linux base which is embedded. Many companies will not publish these specs or an API for use of their stuff.

That said while the deal appears to be good; you will end up with having to reverse engineer the software to integrate it into Homeseer on a used or even a new one packed with 8 IP cameras and whatever embedded Linux is running on the device.

In a recap; if you want to purchase a CCTV DVR and use it with nothing else but a browser interface, or cell phone interface; the deals are great.

If you want to interface it with Homeseer then you are better off with a software based DVR CCTV box that you build on your own; cheap to do these days.

If you get just IP cameras; Homeseer is not a CCTV DVR such that you can record IP SD or HD snapshots but not really do CCTV DVR stuff.

Well unless you want to write a CCTV DVR HS3 plugin.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I am comfortable with linux/unix, but don't relish adding more PC to my HA setup that I have to manage. My HS box is reasonably beefy so I may try going down the Capture card route first as it is a cheap option.

Comment

Best CCTV options?

I used analog cams and a Linux based dvr for about 5 years until the dvr died. Switched to ip cams and blue iris on its own PC and haven't looked back. Love the iOS/android apps and they are easily integrated into hs
            HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

While capture cards today are compressing the video; 1-2 streams analog streams may do OK; but any more will likely affect HS running. Sort of testing this running HD and analog streams on the MythTV box using an old TV tuner combo capture card for multiple inhouse SD video channels. The network streaming works OK but not great.

That said if you have a beefy box build a VM server. That said just do IP cameras and no capture card. Run HS in one VM and ZM in another VM.

Post the question on this forum relating to running a CCTV DVR with multiple streams while concurrently running Homeseer in the Wintel world.

BTW right now testing HS3 in Linux running on a Zoneminder box with 4 HDIP streams. Not really working HS hard right now but not really sure that I can. I am looking though to install HS3 on its own little box running Linux. Maybe this one:

The other ZM box with 8 analog and added mix of HD and SD cams is running around 90% utilization right now. Way too much to run HS3 on right now.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thymer,

What kind PC are you using ( specs)? Could the dedicated PC be fanless? Are these foscams? And how is it integrated into hs exactly?
                Thanks

Originally posted by thymer View Post
                I used analog cams and a Linux based dvr for about 5 years until the dvr died. Switched to ip cams and blue iris on its own PC and haven't looked back. Love the iOS/android apps and they are easily integrated into hs

Tom
                Tom
                baby steps...starting again with HS3
                HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by askme View Post
                  Request for some help. I have bought a house and am in the process of automating it. Next on my list is surviellance. The house came with a dozen CCTV cameras already hardwired all over the property. They are home run to an existing Lorex LH110 which is a basic Linux DVR box.

I am looking to integrate with HomeSeer, but so far stumped on how to do so. The LH110 can trigger events on motion, close contacts, etc. But otherwise seems fairly closed (e.g. I don't see a screen capture url, way to get images or video into HSTouch).

I don't mind dropping it for a video processor card if it had SW that integrated well with HSPRO. Most of the solutions I have seen on these pages have been for IP Cameras.

What are others using to integrate with Analog cameras?
                  If you already have good cameras have a look at the Axis capture devices. They have an extensive API and work really well.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

For me the simplest and value for the money was to put the cameras through an IP server, which now I can access the cameras anywhere on the network in addition to use any NVR for recording. Just so happened that I had an older NAS that I wasn't using so recording to that. There are a few IP servers out there, AXIS was the most expensive route. I went with a vivotek and couldn't be happier. The documentation also was specific on the url for digital stills which is what you need for the net cam interfaces in HS.

Comment

Guys, great advice and what I was looking for. I will check out seve4ral of those products and see what ebay turns up.

Tomtom was asking Thymer if his PC was fanless. struck home as I am running an old Dell 1U rack server that was as loud as a jet engine. Last weekend I opened it up and ripped all of the fans out, replaced with a box fan (and a little duct tape). Quiet as a baby now and diagnostics show it running nice and cool. Not pretty but gives me a sub $100 server with full redundancy, out of band management, dual NIC, Multi-core/CPU RAID, etc.

Comment

Mpovolo whats model number of your vivotek ? I think this will be a possibility for me.

Askme thanks for the feedback. Yeah unneeded noise is what I was trying to avoid. I'm gonna have it in a cabinet in the living room so want something quite.
                        ---
                        Ok I just looked up the vivotek 8 ch it's $937, wow! Will keep looking for a cheaper one.

Tom
                        Tom

Comment

Anyone use the video servers off ebay?

Saw this one
                          Dahua 16ch NVR for $390. Good price but wonder how the quality is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dahua-NVR521...item417ba677f9
                          Tom

Comment

Mine is the 4 channel so half the cost. I would be careful on using NVR's, in all my research very few offered the ability to url to a static image. I had to build my own NVR and use a capture card to make it work.

Comment

Mpovolo,
                              Thanks for making the distinction about NVR's url command capabilities(or lack of). I've read through a few of the video servers I was looking at they didn't say whether they allowed url commands. Hard to tell if they are or not by just product descriptions and specs.
                              In your research did you come across any less expensive video servers that offered the url command capability?

Originally posted by mpovolo View Post
                              Mine is the 4 channel so half the cost. I would be careful on using NVR's, in all my research very few offered the ability to url to a static image. I had to build my own NVR and use a capture card to make it work.
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X