Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connect two inputs to stereo receiver

Guys,
    I have a mini to dual RCA cable coming from my HomeSeer server to my whole house stereo receiver. I now want to input another source into the same RCA jacks if possible. So my question is - is it possible to input two sources to a single input on my receiver? If so what kind of connector would I need? It's like I need an RCA cable that plugs into my receiver and this cable has a pass through so I can plugin another source. My goal is to add my Sonos Connect to my stereo into the same inputs so I can listen to music and receive my whole house HS announcements via the same input.
    EDIT ...
    I guess I should have searched on RCA pass through as that turned up just what I was looking for.
    http://www.jex-electronics.com/produ...roducts_id=568
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Russound makes a device which will automatically switch between different inputs when a signal is detected. I'll post a link to it tomorrow when I can find it. I'd be worried about interference with the device you linked to.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

There's also this automatic switch: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-8396

Greg, I suppose you can do that if you want but back in the day I used to install tape decks in cars for my buddies hooking them up to the factory speakers where the factory radio was still hooked up to the speakers too. The concern was without a switch there was the possibility that the powered-on component could damage the electronics on the non-powered one. Granted I was hooking up speaker-level outputs and they would have much greater voltages then what you're talking about with line-level inputs, but how much did you pay for the receiver and do you want to take that risk?

FWIW
      Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

A slightly better solution (I think the pass through plugs will just about work) would be an audio mixer, that would enable you to use multiple inputs if you did want to expand the setup with individual volume control on each input. Behringer make some small ones with a couple of channels.

Comment

Using a Y cable to combine 2 input sources is not a good idea. But if you are sure that only one source will be on at a time, then it will work.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but I use a different input for each of my audio sources. Music goes to CD, speech from Homeseer goes to DAT, etc. I then use an IR (USBUIRT) command from HomeSeer to switch to the DAT input when HomeSeer makes an announcement. This is simple and has the side benefit of automatically muting the CD input. This works extremely well for me.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

This might work for you Greg.
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sima-3-Chann...item1c453b006d

edit: For stereo, just use two.
            Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

+ 1 Wadenut

Here I have two HS2 plus one HS3 boxes talking to the Russound zoned audio.

I tried the auto switching stuff and it wasn't fast enough.

I am also using an AB8SS with a separate amplifier which works just fine these days.

I am currently using different voice fonts such that I know which HS box is talking.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Here is another mixer : http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=13221502

I used an older model for years. Worked great.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Yup here still have a couple of amps and the legacy speaker switcher AB8SS set up.

One of those audio amps (separate from the Russound) is an Audiosource AMP-100 with auto switching source input audio on it.

http://www.audiosource.net/products/...-100/overview/

Its been years and its still just working fine these days. The audio switching parts of it never worked in a timely manner. Blending the sound works better though for me (well that is my personal opinion).

This stuff working fine today with the two legacy Russound CAA66's. (started originally with the CAS44).

http://www.russound.com/product_detail.php?i=615
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Rupp, Radio Design Labs makes all sorts of audio and video devices of which are really high quality. http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=89 Two of these would do the job. RDL does not sell direct. You will have to find a vendor that you can buy from.

Comment

Working...
                    X