Dead Module; How do you remove it from Remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Module; How do you remove it from Remote

One of my modules is dead. Power going into it, nothing coming out. No control, either local or remote. How does one remove it from the Master remote control, if it won't respond?

Thanks;

Don
    Don

There is no way to remove it unfortunately. You can delete the groups it belonged to so the remote will no longer attempt to control it. The only issue that will remain is the ALL-ON and ALL-OFF buttons. They will work, but will always display an error. When you import the devices into HS, you can delete the bad device and HS will not control it. The only other option is to reset the remote to its factory default and re-add your modules.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Groan

Thanks Rich:

I was hoping for an easier way. I'm afraid my romance with Z-wave is not going well.

Don
      Don

Comment

I wonder if HomePro or Sylvania are aware of this issue. It seems to me that if you have a dead module and your remote is producing an error everytime you hit the all off button that the remote is now "not funtioning propery" and should be fixed by they manufacture. Perhaps we need to recomend to the manufactures that they add a way to remove the individual devices.

Rich even if he reset the entire remote to factory default they will still exist int the remote?

Comment

If you reset the remote it forgets about all the devices that were learned to it, so the bad device is now gone.

Comment

If you reset the remote it forgets about all the devices that were learned to it, so the bad device is now gone.
            Aren't the good devices gone too?

Are you saying that if a module dies, the ONLY way to remove it cleanly from the system is to reset the remote and start all over from scratch learning all my modules into the remote and then transferring that information to HS? Surely I'm misunderstanding that. If that is in fact the way it works, that's completely unmanageable. I only have 7 Z-Wave modules right now and I wouldn't want to have to go through the setup process on all those again. It would be a huge problem if I had 20 or 30 modules, especially since it's a trial-and-error process to figure out in HS which module is which after they are imported.

Comment

Yep, thats true, its the only way to remove the bad module. Note that the only issue this resolves is the ALL-ON and ALL-OFF buttons. Everything else can be resolved by simply removing any groups the bad device belonged to. Do you actually use those buttons? I don't find them useful and keep them disabled.

I have asked ACT about this just to be sure there is no other workaround. I don't believe there is since the module ID numbers are kept hidden from the user in the remote.

Comment

I accidently reset my remote while trying to see what version it was . I have nine devices which took me less then 5 minutes to relearn. When I re-imported them into HS, they matched up to the devices that I already had and all my scripts worked. Maybe I just got lucky but I would say that it took less then 10 minutes.

- Mike

Comment

RJH, I don't use groups, I just learn everything into group 1, so if I deleted group 1 it would have the same effect as resetting the remote.

mbreeden, did you re-learn all your devices in the same order you learned them the first time? I was thinking that would be necessary to keep the device codes in HS the same. Maybe not.

RJH, I would be interested in knowing if this is the way it will always work, or if mbreeden got lucky. If I reset my remote and then go relearn all existing devices in random order, minus a bad device, will the good devices always match up with what HS already knows?

Thanks.

Comment

I relearned my z wave stuff not an any particular order and they matched up in homeseer.

Comment

DC:

It was the same as James, it was not done in the same order as I installed them.

- Mike

Comment

HS matches the devices by ID. So if you learned them in a different order I don't see how they could possibly match. I've done this before in my test area and I have always needed to set the proper ID for the devices. All you need to do is keep a list of the device ID's as you add each device. Go into the properties for the device and select the proper ID from the drop list. Note that the new remotes display the device ID when you add it (a feature I pushed them to add just for HS). This makes it easier to track the devices as you add them.

If your devices matched up, you just got lucky. There is no other way for HS to match them.

I believe in the future, the remote will either automatically remove bad nodes, or it will allow you to remove them. Normally, the user has no notion of device ID's, so if a module goes bad they really won't know which device to remove. Hopefully they will come up with something.

Comment

Rich I also accidently erased my remote while trying to figure out the version, and know for a fact that I relearned the devices in a different order then they were added and Homeseer also matched them up perfect.

Thom

Comment

Working...
                          X