Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premature Retriggeration

Hi,

I have two events that intermittently retrigger after less than the "retrigger" setting and before the condition persists for the "persist" setting

One event compares an upstairs temp sensor with a downstairs temp sensor and looks for a delta that increases above 1. It is not supposed to retrigger for 15 minutes and the condition is supposed to persist for 3 minutes.

Here's an example of these occurrances from HS log:

02/01/2005 8:50:41 PM~!~Temp Info~!~Upstairs/downstairs temperature differs by MORE than 1 degree
    02/01/2005 8:51:41 PM~!~Temp Info~!~Upstairs/downstairs temperature differs by MORE than 1 degree
    02/01/2005 9:01:42 PM~!~Temp Info~!~Upstairs/downstairs temperature differs by MORE than 1 degree
    02/01/2005 9:02:42 PM~!~Temp Info~!~Upstairs/downstairs temperature differs by MORE than 1 degree

The other event compares the same sensors and looks for a delta that decreases below 1. It is not supposed to retrigger for 60 minutes and the condition is supposed to persist for 3 minutes.

Here's an example:

02/01/2005 8:30:40 PM~!~Temp Info~!~Upstairs and downstairs temp differs by LESS than 1 degree
    02/01/2005 8:31:40 PM~!~Temp Info~!~Upstairs and downstairs temp differs by LESS than 1 degree
    02/01/2005 8:42:41 PM~!~Temp Info~!~Upstairs and downstairs temp differs by LESS than 1 degree
    02/01/2005 8:43:41 PM~!~Temp Info~!~Upstairs and downstairs temp differs by LESS than 1 degree

Attached is what I think to be the relevant event entry in HS config file. Let me know if more info is needed.
    Attached Files

retrigger setting

I should clarify that the retrigger settings I'm refering to is the mcsTemp retrigger setting but I also set the HS retrigger to 10 seconds because (I think) the event was retriggering immediately initially.

Comment

The trigger supported by mcsTemperature contains a retrigger entry. This entry is used to cause the trigger to repeat if all the other conditions continue to be satisifed. This is not the same as the Homeseer "Do Not Retrigger" which has just the opposite meaning.

For example, assume a trigger if the differential pressure is above 10 psi. The action on the trigger is to open a valve to releave the pressure. Now if the pressure has not been releaved in 5 minutes and the mcsTemperature retrigger is set to 5 minutes, then it will trigger the event again to give the event handler another try at opening the valve or any other recovery action that is needed.

Given this description do you still have a retrigger problem?

Comment

Well now I'm not sure if it's a retrigger problem or just an expectations problem.
        I expected that retriggering would occur again in "x" minutes, not more, not less.

The event does retrigger "no later than" the value I enter, it's just that it sometimes retriggers before the time I entered, but not consistently so. My condition - a temperature delta - often persists for several hours at a time (am only tracking it right now, am not doing anything to counter it), yet the event is not *always* retriggered every minute or 10, as in my examples, or every 3 minutes, as per my "persists" entry.

If this is the way this feature works, then I'll simply make a feature request to have the retrigger event value represent an exact number of minutes before the event retriggers when all conditions still exists.

Comment

It should retrigger on the interval specified rather than "no later than" within a resolution of +/- a few seconds depending upon actual windows scheduling. Premature retriggers are not expected. I'll look into it. What I may do, if you do not mind, is dump some info into a file while you are running it since setting up a test environment could be time consuming.

Comment

Attached has output going to a text file in the Homeseer\Data folder whenever the trigger is active. It also has a humidity cal checkbox on the devices tab. Run it until you see the problem trigger condition and the trace info should identify the problem.
            Last edited by Michael McSharry; January 5, 2005, 09:46 PM.

Comment

humidity cal checkbox checked, offset of 4, 4 and 2 (three sensors) entered and "saved". IOStream, device and database all show same reading for each sensor through several polls.

Is the offset applied prior to display in the IO stream window? If so, how would I be able to tell if it actually worked?

Comment

The IO window is raw data. I don't have a humidity sensor connected to my test network, but the same logic is applied to temp sensors and it did get biased by the entered amount on the Analog tab for the sensor. There is a debug statement at the point where the bias is added. Turn the general debug on and see what you find.

Comment

attached is debug trace. humidity sensors are 1 to 3 of 7. I don't see the "calibrate X with bias..." I see for the temp sensors that have calibration values...
                  Attached Files

Comment

I neglected to add the non-temp sensor to the calibration list. The list is built as an optimization to reduce time to get the cal info. Give this one a try. More importantly keep your eye on the trigger data file so we can understand what is causing your early retriggers.
                    Last edited by Michael McSharry; January 8, 2005, 09:51 PM.

Comment

well it took a while for the event that retriggers prematurely to occur (a temp difference between upstairs and downstairs of more than 1 degree that persists for 3 mins), but it did just a short time ago.

Attached are some HS log entries followed by related entries in the trigger trace being captured by the special version of mcsTemp you provided.

Speaking of which, your last post suggests a new special version for the humidity calibration but I don't see it; are you tweaking it?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here are a couple more examples from this morning (for two separate events this time). For both the condition is supposed to persist for 3 mins. For the first, retrigger is set to 15, for the second it is set to 60

11/01/2005 6:43:03 AM~!~Temp Info~!~Upstairs/downstairs temperature differs by MORE than 1 degree
                        11/01/2005 6:44:03 AM~!~Temp Info~!~Upstairs/downstairs temperature differs by MORE than 1 degree

11/01/2005 6:50:04 AM~!~Temp Info~!~Upstairs and downstairs temp differs by LESS than 1 degree
                        11/01/2005 6:51:05 AM~!~Temp Info~!~Upstairs and downstairs temp differs by LESS than 1 degree

Attached is a section of trigger trace file. This time I also grabbed entries before and after the logs were created.

For it's worth, HS is set to not retrigger either event for 10 seconds.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by johnnyt; January 11, 2005, 08:00 AM. Reason: added HS retrigger setting

Comment

From your data I can see the omission that caused the second trigger one minute after the first. I'm traveling for a few weeks and dont have rebuild resources with me, but I wil update when I return.

The attachment at the top of this forum contains the latest build with the humidity changed I referenced in my last post.

Comment

Working...
                          X