Gentner / ClearOne AP800 - Interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentner / ClearOne AP800 - Interest?

I have created a script library for communicating with the Gentner / ClearOne AP800 (an automatic mixer which I use for VR). Currently the script is capable of issuing 100% of the command set and handling just a few of the replies.

For my own selfish purposes, the script will be used to manage my VR hardware. But, since I have a very specific set of hardware, I wondered if anyone had any generalizable requirements.

I'd also like to get some feedback on whether anyone would find this useful or not -- and if so, what would you want to do with your AP800?

I would have made this a plug-in, but I'm still pretty clueless on plug-in development.

Dan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dantelope; November 27, 2005, 01:48 AM. Reason: Uploaded v0.10a

Hi Dan... I'd be interested in seeing your work!

I control my AP800 using a few scripts through the serial port... most are simple for example to mute the laundry room mic while the washing machine is running, etc.

I'm sensing the mic gate activity by connecting the logic outputs to a SECU16... do you think scripting to monitor the mic gates would be quick enough to track this for VR purposes?

Would be nice to free up 8 SECU inputs if this is possible...

Thanks,
    Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
    Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Hi, Paul. I knew YOU would be interested

I'm using a Weeder Tech DIO board to monitor the gate status myself. The problem with trying to do gate status determinations through the AP800 is that you have to poll it -- which in my opinion is not satisfactory. It can be done but I think you're going to be better off with the digital I/O board. That's explicitly the reason they even have those lines out of the status port.

Maybe I'll let you do the beta testing if you're interested since you've obviously got more hardware than I do at this point. I'll probably upload the script this weekend with some documentation (that's what's taking the longest, but I suspect it will be worthwhile).

One of the nice things about this script is it's going to be very, very easy (and readable) to do things like switching the routing matrix, muting mics, swapping NOM, etc. It hides all the details in a simple API.

Dan

Comment

Great Dan... keep me in th loop.

I remember trying to get the gate status out of the Serial port when I first started and quickly gave up in favor of the digital I/O. I'm not much of a programmer, so hoped that someone with more ability could make this a reality. In the end, polling is the issue as you state.

Paul

Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

AP800 Scripts Are Here

Version 0.10a of the AP800 Scripts has been released! See the initial message on this board for the files. I have lots more work to do, but I'm ready to take comments and criticism (on my scripts, not on the fact that I'm ugly and my momma dresses me funny).

Version History
          ================
          0.10a - Nov 27, 2005
          - Initial alpha release to HomeSeer forums, primarily for comments
          - Performs 100% of available AP800 functions
          - Only handles MMAX replies (for now)
          - Some simple setup functions provided, but mostly manual setup required

Remaining Tasks
          ===============
          * Handle most frequently used replies (need feedback)
          * Integrate (and upload) Weed Tech DIO scripts
          * Include functions for common tasks ("macros")

Comment

Hi Dan,

I returned yesterday from the holidays and planned to pull your script down last night and play with it, but ended up working a VERY long day instead.

I've got a v1.7 system (production) and v2.0 system (test) right now. What version have you tested the script with?

I've reviewed my AP800 events and really do very little manipulation of it. Since I'm not using any of the matrix capability, I'm really just muting certian mics at specific times, etc.

I expect the script will be really handy to others who want to use the AP800 for some additional audio routing (I think 4-5 others on the HS message board own one now, so suprised that you haven't receved any other responses?).

I'll provide some feedback after I've had a chance to check it out.

How are you using your AP800? Mic mixing only, or are you routing some audio through it too?

Paul

Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Hi, Paul - welcome back.

I figured most of the command/event set wouldn't be used, but it's complete nonetheless. I'm using it to route audio (remember I'm doing monitor/intercom functionality as well), so perhaps my need is a little greater.

The script was tested in HS2 -- I haven't used 1.7 since upgrading. You can give it a try, I imagine it would probably work.

My primary goal on the AP800 script (and on the Weeder one as well) was a professional architecture.

I have a Weeder Technologies script coming out soon, too, which is very similar in nature. I use the WTDIO module to monitor the gating status and a couple other control/status functions.

Dan

Comment

Dan, Paul,
                I would love to try the script, if only I didn't keep getting outbid on e-bay. It seems the AP800 popularity is growing, I haven't seen one go for under $300. They used to go for $150 or so.

Comment

Keep on it, frequently good deals come up. I bought mine from eBay, NIB, for $279. Even came with the manual and all of the Phoenix connectors and power cord and rackmount ears.

Comment

Dan,
                    I punked out at $250 this time on a used unit. There is one at $299 starting bid, but I'm not ready to go there yet.

Gardner.
                    Last edited by gcyeaw; November 30, 2005, 08:46 PM.

Comment

eBay reward the patient man. Wait for your time.

Dan

Comment

looks like the sudden interest for the units on this board thats driving the prices up

Dan " I bought mine from eBay, NIB, for $279."
                        just beat me on this one

Gardner "I punked out at $250 this time on a used unit"
                        sorry mate thats me

I'm having an even harder time with most sellers unwilling to ship to Australia

Nick

Comment

Nick,
                          Do you mean it was you I was bidding against? Did you win it?

Gardner

Comment

I don't know if any of you are in New York or if any of you enjoy doing actual auctions (yes, that's right -- auctions without eBay *gasp*), but here's an AP800 that's in an auction coming up 12/7:

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/photo.php?photo=2565798

Dan

Comment

>>Gardner "Do you mean it was you I was bidding against? Did you win it?"

yeh that was me, no lost out winning bid was $305

Dan's right, we just have to be a little patient.

Good luck next time Gardner, I'm in no rush so I wont bid against you again

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X