Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blocking telephone solicitation

Greetings:

I would like to beef up my Homeseer package. 2 things I would like to do are:

1. Have Homeseer announce over sound card the caller ID that is displayed, either numbers or text
    2. Also block any numbers that I put into the do not call list. If I see a number that repeats on my call display, I put it into say a lookup file, When this call is received and the number matched then the special telephone tone and the "this telephone is out of service..." message will be sent. Apparently this is the type of message that makes the soliciation software take you off of their phoning list, and thus will help to block telephone solicitors.

Also this must work in Canada. So can Homeseer phone do these 2 items or what would you recommend.

This is probably desperatly needed by many people. :-)

Thank you for your time

check out my software uploaded here on this forum - hardware section as I recall. It uses the $10 NetCallerID box. The software and source code are uploaded so if you want it to do more than it does now, have at it!

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...etcallerid+vb6

there are several versions of that software along the long thread, above.

Comment

Where to buy NetcallerID ?

Looked briefly on internet, but don't see any place where one can buy NetuserID anymore, will a voice fax modem with CID work OK with the program by Stevech

Comment

Try here on E-Bay

Tim
        FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

The main problem you are likely to find, at least in US anyway, is that most of the annoying callers do not send caller ID names or numbers. For individuals the phone company puts your name etc into the system - but if you are a company that owns its own PBX system you can set it up to show whatever you like - or nothing at all. I still get a lot of calls with "Unknown" or "Out of Area". Unfortunately I can't set up the system to block these, because I have relatives living abroad and they too come in as "Unknown"

Comment

Can this be done with the PCI modem that HomeSeer sells? That what I was planning (hoping) to do.

Matt

Comment

Hi,

I replaced the beep.wav that hs uses with the sit tones wave. If some one calls they hear the greeting and then the tones. It definitley cuts down on calls from predictive dialers and such. SIT tones wave attached (remove .txt from file name).

Darrell
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mdonovan
                Can this be done with the PCI modem that HomeSeer sells? That what I was planning (hoping) to do.

Matt
                Yes. This is easily achieved using the HSPhone and HS PCI modem.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have HS phone and HS modem. I use the NetCallerID box because the modem is not 100% reliable on CID. In HS phone my std settings are to answer a call after 6 rings. "Out of Area" waits 6 rings but the greeting includes the SIT tones. Caller Unknown waits 2 rings then message with SIT tones and "We don't answer calls without caller ID, leave a message". Known telemarketers wait 2 rings, SIT tones, "This phone has been disconnected".

This system has worked really well. If the CID was incorrect then family/friends/proper business can leave us a message. I also signed up for the National and State "DO NOT CALL" list. That's helped alot also.

One interesting note, I got a call last night from "POLITICAL CALL", thats a new one for me.
                  Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

Good, so I don't have to throw my plans out and start again

Bruce, what you're doing is exactly what I want to accomplish.

Thanks for the responses!

Matt

Comment

Are political campaign telemarketing calls exempt?

Comment

The way to call gets around this. When callerID is unknown you can have a greeting that says no telemarketers, then press a number to connect to house. If they know to press the number then they can do that before the greeting plays. No rings on house phones until CID is accepted or they press the required number.

It is now illegal for telemarketers to hid CID info. Pretty good fines too - and it is easy to get them busted on it. In fact having the message and mentioning the telemarketing laws causes their war dialer to get an actual person on the phone because it things someone has picked up. I've noticed that they drop you off the list pretty quick when you cost them time and money.

Jon

Originally posted by sjcato
                        The main problem you are likely to find, at least in US anyway, is that most of the annoying callers do not send caller ID names or numbers. For individuals the phone company puts your name etc into the system - but if you are a company that owns its own PBX system you can set it up to show whatever you like - or nothing at all. I still get a lot of calls with "Unknown" or "Out of Area". Unfortunately I can't set up the system to block these, because I have relatives living abroad and they too come in as "Unknown"
                        Jon Ort
                        JonOrt@The--Orts.com
                        (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Working...
                        X