DS10 as water detector.. revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS10 as water detector.. revisited

There are a lot of posts on this subject, but unless I missed it, I have not seen a definitive solution using the DS10 as the RF transmitter in a water detection circuit. I have seen where it works for some (not me) without any modifications just dipping the two contacts in water. But depending on the minerals in the water I understand it may not be a reliable solution in any case. I saw where some have tried connecting the DS10 to an alarm kit(s), possibly via a relay, but I have not seen results of those experiments. Has anyone found a reliable solution they could share?

It may be indicative of the suitability of the DS10 for this purpose but I found a discontinued device at Smarthome that looks strikingly similar to a DS10:>>
    http://www.smarthome.com/7349.html

I really would like a reasonable priced RF leak detector that can interface easily with HS. Are there other out-of-the-box solutions (or close to it) out there that I should be looking at?
    Thanks
    Gary

I think all you need is a water sensor with NC or NO contacts. This *may* work:
    http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezS...?productID=608

Let me know, cause I need some too :-)
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

From the cocoon guys.

Just take an X-10 Power Flash interface and set it to Input "B" and Mode "3". Then just take some copper wire and arrange it on a flat surface with a small lip such as the top of a tupper ware container. Arrange it so two copper wires are "almost" touching each other in a geometric fashion as shown. Make sure the leads are not making contact with each other (use an ohmeter) then hook the leads to the power flash. As soon as water gets "sprinkled" on the copper wire it will trip the Power Flash.

I would use hot glue in a couple of places to "tack" the wires better, but you get the idea.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- or -------

http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/...products_id=68

Leaf Wetness Sensor
      [LWS1-R1-B] $4.00

Click to enlarge
      The Leaf Wetness Sensor is a circuit board that has rows a parallel traces. The resistance between these traces will decrease as the sensor gets wet. A solder mask has been used to keep oxidation down and to make the sensor react more like a real leaf.

Also available is the same sensor without the green solder mask which will make the sensor more sensitive.

This sensor is designed for use with the Moisture Meter. This sensor must be used with our Moisture Meter or a comparable device. It provides the input needed by the Moisture Meter to report leaf wetness, but it does not directly report leaf wetness itself, and cannot be used independently.
      Last edited by jay; May 24, 2006, 06:16 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones
        I think all you need is a water sensor with NC or NO contacts. This *may* work:...
        Let me know, cause I need some too :-)
        Ultrajones, thanks for the tip. I'm like you, I would like to know someone elses success story.

Originally posted by jay
        From the cocoon guys.
        Just take an X-10 Power Flash interface and set it to Input "B" and Mode "3"...
        Jay, if I am understanding this correctly it would require AC power (for the Power Flash) everywhere I wanted to put a sensor? It does not appear to use the DS10 or any RF to announce water detection. Unfortunately, I don't have AC power everywhere I need a water sensor.

Originally posted by jay
        or -------
        http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/...products_id=68
        Leaf Wetness Sensor
        [LWS1-R1-B] $4.00
        ... It provides the input needed by the Moisture Meter to report leaf wetness, but it does not directly report leaf wetness itself, and cannot be used independently.
        Well the sensor price is right. Help me better understand what you are suggesting. It looks (to me) like this sensor is intended to be part of a 1-wire network. If so it appears that I would need to run wire (Cat5/6) everywhere I want a water sensor? Or, are you proposing that this be connected directly to a DS10 in some manner?

Thanks
        Gary

Comment

I tested the leaf sensor board hooked up to the powerflash and just one drop of water will trigger it.
          Stuart

Comment

Water detector

I use wooden clothes pin with tucks on each end. The pin is separated by a piece of sponge. As soon as the sponge absorbs water, it become soft and the two tucks contact each other trigerring the ds10a contact closure.

Comment

Originally posted by dtreyes
              I use wooden clothes pin with tucks on each end. The pin is separated by a piece of sponge. As soon as the sponge absorbs water, it become soft and the two tucks contact each other trigerring the ds10a contact closure.
              Woa! Excellent idea. I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the setup if you get a chance!
              --------------------------------------------------
              **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin
                Woa! Excellent idea. I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the setup if you get a chance!
                Yeah, me too. Maybe the pic would educate as to what a "tuck" looks like.

Comment

DS10 as water detector

I will post a picture of my complete water shutdown solution tonight. The water shutdown system consist of a spring connected to the handle of a quarter-turn water valve. The handle is restrained by a small chain connected to a solenoid valve controlled by a relay. As soon as homeseer senses a ds10a water detector, the relay is activated, the spring pulls the handle and water shuts completely, plays a wav file and sends me text messages. Human intervention is needed to reset the valve (I would like to know the cause of the alarm anyway) This idea was from previous post and I just made few modifications.

Comment

DS10 as water detector

As promised, I am attaching images of my water shutdown system. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting these pics. I'm not quite getting how the solenoid is releasing the chain though.

Comment

This closeup pic should be clear enough
                        Attached Files

Comment

It is a pull solenoid. I made it this way so it is easy for the solenoid to pull the pin and release the restraining wire.

Comment

Ah thanks, very clear now. BTW, do you remember where you got that solenoid and its "pull" value. No biggie if you don't.

Very nice inventive solution. I really like this style of thinking with HA solutions (we have a few on CocoonTech.com, but I would like to get more posts/people thinking like this!!!).

Thanks again and I really enjoyed the photos.

Regards,

BSR

Comment

I ordered the solenoid from Jameco. This is a 24 volts version and I believe it was something like $15. I am at work right now but I can get you the model tonight if you need it. BTW, I am also a frequent visitor of "cocoontech". In fact I have implemented some of the howto's posted there such as light indicator for washing machine and the magentic reed on the knob.

Comment

Working...
                              X