Weather Warnings - UNCLE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather Warnings - UNCLE!

I'm a big fan of the weather warnings script, but the weather service keeps sending out the same message every few hours (sometimes every few minutes) and it's starting to lower the WAF and is even beginning to annoy me. I must have received 15 or more messages today telling me we were going to get a LOT of rain, but the forecast / "special weather statement" was essentially unchanged in each of them.

Does anyone know to limit the SAME warning from being emailed out repeatedly by this script? I have the limit set to "1" already, but apparently if the timestamp of the warning changes (i.e., the time the weather service issues it), the script thinks it's a NEW warning even if nothing other than the time stamp has changed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Mad,
    This is the very reason I quit using the script. We were getting several warnings a day about how hot it was going to be. No quite a warning in my opinion. Combine the "cry wolf" syndrome with the repeated warnings and I finally disabled the script.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I too was forced to disable the script. Those 3 am wake up calls for rain were a definite WAF killer. I really like the script and the idea behind it, it's just those repetitive rain warnings every 15 minutes and the 3 am wake up calls for pointless information.

Comment

I'm using the script to scrape the NWS weather warning into the virtual devices, but I have all of the speech and email turned off in the configuration. I have it ignoring the no active warnings messages.

I have a couple events that I wrote that look for the status of the weather warning virtual devices to change, and they kick off text to speech annoucements and send the info to my LED sign. I have some logicals (Awake/Asleep, Quiet ON/Quiet OFF) that are checked by my scripts to determine if the annoucements are made or not.

Ed

Comment

I'm sorry I have been to busy to update this script. I've been working 10 hour days 6 days a week and trying to fix up my home at the same time. I promise I'll set a side some time to get this fixed. Please list any other problems or feature requests/ideas and I'll do my best to get them in there while I'm at it.

let me know.

Comment

Thanks, Tom

Originally posted by Tom Caldwell
            I'm sorry I have been to busy to update this script. I've been working 10 hour days 6 days a week and trying to fix up my home at the same time. I promise I'll set a side some time to get this fixed. Please list any other problems or feature requests/ideas and I'll do my best to get them in there while I'm at it.

let me know.
            Tom,

First, thanks! The script really is great, and I blame the weather service more than anything for this. I understand and appreciate that they want us to know of upcoming weather problems, but they're just out of hand over the last few days.

I wish I wasn't so blasted ignorant of scripting - I'd jump in and fix it myself for you if I could.

BTW, I grew up just outside Princeton, WV so it's nice to see a fellow Mountaineer on the board. I don't get back often as I have no family remaining there, but it was a great place to grow up.

This is not a huge priority at all, but any improvements would put us in your debt whenever you can get to them. Thanks again,

Joe
            Madcodger

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Caldwell

let me know.

Is there any way to add a .wav file at the beginning of the TTS? (Like in the CNN breaking news) I think it would be cool to have like the NOAA warning tone before the HS speak warnings.

Comment

I recently downloaded the weather warning script via the update. I am now getting the "NO WARNING" TTS every 30 minutes. I added the NO WARNINGS in the setup?

Comment

Check out this thread:
                  http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ather+warnings
                  HunterGreen made some good changes to the script. All of us in the Northeast have heard more than we want to of the warnings. I hope someone smarter than me can figure out how to stop the repeats and get more information out of this script.

Comment

Originally posted by Alconnell
                    Check out this thread:
                    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ather+warnings
                    HunterGreen made some good changes to the script. All of us in the Northeast have heard more than we want to of the warnings. I hope someone smarter than me can figure out how to stop the repeats and get more information out of this script.
                    Yep, this is definitely an improvement to the original script as it does get rid of the NO warnings message. I've been getting flood warnings, thunderstorm warnings, heavy rain warnings, you name it, for the past several days. Happened while I was on the west coast, and my wife confirmed that pretty much everything they warned about actually happened. Enough of this flooding stuff, for sure! Better to be warned many times than not know at all, I guess.
                    Madcodger

Comment

update with the new mods.

Here is a new version with Hunters mods. I have been testing it for a while. I still was getting a extra email now and then and had a problem with brand new installs. I made a couple changes that I think fixed it. I'll attach a copy here. The included install file is not needed. If any one wants to test it I would really appreciate it. Please let me know how it goes. I will make any needed changes based on user testing. If anyone needs help where to put the files just let me know. if this works ok for everyone, i'll get an update sent in for the hs updater.
                      Last edited by ; July 3, 2006, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Warnings Overwriting My Virtual Devices

About the Weather Warnings script...sorry I didn't get this in before your recent update...anyway, I have device v20 assigned to the weather warnings, but for some reason it recently started "adding" devices and overwriting my other virtuals. It added v21 as a warning, and it overwrote v1, v2, and v3 with "No Warning" in the DeviceString. IS there a way to undo this? Have I set it up wrong or something? Does it require an entire House Code to itself?

Comment

The current setup does take a virtual device per warning. I see what you mean about this being a problem. I can change this to just use one device and add all warnings together. Or perhaps I can add a small database to keep track of warnings and use the virtual device single/more as a user option only. I'm always open to suggestions.

Comment

I don't mind if it starts adding devices after v20, but I have other virtuals below that number, v1-v19, if it could just stay away from those, life will be easier.

Thanks,

==JJS==

Comment

You can change the device number it starts using in the setup page. Try changing this to 20

Comment

Working...
                              X