X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Plugin Features

Hello All,

I am working on a port of this plugin to the new .NET 2 framework, so that it will work in HomeSeer 2.1. Upon the upgrade process, I came across several antequated windows forms. We are already working on making a "Web-Only" configuration page, but my question for you is: Do you use the other forms? This includes the manual control panel and all the other forms that it generates. Here is the Full list of forms:
    • About
    • Comm Debug Monitor
    • Control Panel
    • Edit Filters
    • Import Device Types
    • IRXP Backup/Restore
    • IR Learn
    • Phone Pad
    • Configure Polling
    • Voicemail VOX
    Basically, If there is enough use of the forms, we will either keep them as is or port them over to a new ASPX web page. If no one is using any of these, we will scrap them altogether.

Please respond to this poll so that I will know what popular demand is! Hopefully, we will have a "beta" version of the .NET plugin later this week.
    I Use all of the forms - keep them the way they are
    8.33%
    I Use all the forms, but would like to see a new web-based page instead
    66.67%
    I don't use any of these, just get rid of them
    8.33%
    I only use a few of these, see my post below
    16.67%
    -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

The import device types is pretty important and I would want both of the IR forms. I think folks may want the control panel also.

Comment

Forms? What Forms?

Seriously, I started with HS 2 earlier this year and am now using Build 2.1.75 (I had a little "Bloated" data base trouble with 2.1.88). I used as little of Glen's stuff as possible. The Help files were antiquated (and seemed to apply to HS 1.7). Further, the couple times I tried something, my system hung and I had to reboot. Since I left control of IR with StarGate, I cannot coment on any of the IR stuff.

For absolutely certain, any form dealing with Jeff's IVR Daughter Board is not worth carrying forward. Even though there are most likely a few diehard remaining users, IVR's are not replaceable (i.e, product withdrawn due lack of parts). Besides, phone options offered by HS are so much more powerful, current users should seriously consider upgrading.

Anyway, everything should be web based. Just my ten cents.

Comment

It looks like we will probably be going with a new web page. Since there are still users using these forms, all functionality will remain, but we will implement it with a new ASPX web page.

With that question answered, and having taken a look at the code, was there ever a problem with importing timers? This is commented out entirely in the Import code, and I was not sure if anyone was missing/needing this functionality.

I am also wondering whether the "Import Devices" or "Create devices" function was used by most users, judging by what the both do (I am not very familiar with this plugin's usage!), it would seem that the "Import Devices" is the one to keep, as it creates devices from the DBF files, and thus they have names.

If most users are using the "Create Devices" functin, we can keep that, but right now it looks like the "Import Devices" will cover most problems.

Thank you all for your feedback!
        Last edited by RJ; June 29, 2006, 12:57 PM.
        -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

Originally posted by RJ
          I am also wondering whether the "Import Devices" or "Create devices" function was used by most users, judging by what the both do (I am not very familiar with this plugin's usage!), it would seem that the "Import Devices" is the one to keep, as it creates devices from the DBF files, and thus they have names.

If most users are using the "Create Devices" functin, we can keep that, but right now it looks like the "Import Devices" will cover most problems.

Thank you all for your feedback!
          RJ: To tell you the truth, I really don't know how the "Create Devices" was supposed to work either. Glen may have explained it some time ago but that portion of my memory has been erased.

To me it is logical to just have the "Import Devices" with options to import the database fresh (first time), update the imported database (I added or changed several devices in Stargate and want just those changes imported), or user selectable device import (say I just added or changed one flag, I could select to just import flags which would add/update the flag portion of the database).
          Also we would need a method of dropping the Stargate device database and REALLY clean it out then re-import if we wanted to.

Of course if the update function were available and worked properly, you could add or change any combination of devices and only those additions or changes would be incorporated into the current HS device database.

Also, can you look into the initial and/or default status of Stargate devices upon startup of HS?
          I have digital I/O that triggers events when the digital device changes to on. From what I can see when my HS 2.1.198 starts up, all of those devices are off yet the events they are associated with trigger repeatedly. I don't know what is going on there but when I use the "poll" function then those devices states remain at their default Stargate status of off and the events stop.

It would also be nice to figure out how to control how often HS polls the Stargate for status updates.

The work you are doing here sounds VERY encouraging and exciting! I really am disappointed that I can't yet use HS 2.x because of the plug-in and event issues. Everything else in HS 2.2.1.198 seems to be fantastic! Good job!!

Comment

Import is really what I'd want. Have had to use "create" almost since upgrading to HS2, but you have to rename everything every time. If "import" worked, I can't see why you'd use anything else.

I had loads of trouble with timers in recent versions. So much so, that I've temporarily abandoned any reference to SG timers in HS events and vice versa.

This used to be okay, but somewhere along the line, mine got "mixed" with variables on a failed import attempt I think. Certainly the data in many of my "created" variables, looks more like timer information.

I also use the control panel page as well as the IR stuff I'm afraid.

Contrary to the comments about the daughter-board, I still use the audio-routing part of it, as it's handy for feeding an audio confirmation of odd SG actions, direct from the SG. Probably sounds a bit quirky, but I use gentle SG beeps for example, to confirm remote control actions that don't have a visually obvious result.

I know that HS can obviously do this, but on the odd occasion when HS is "out-to-lunch" (I know that's probably Microsoft's fault!) then this is still a useful thing as it works whether the PC's running or not.

All of SG's audio capacity relies on the daughterboard to work as far as I can tell.

Comment

I'm not sure what "Create Devices" actually does - how is it different from "Import Devices"?

I have not tried a 2.X version of the JDS Plugin, but timers imported fine in the 1.X versions. But honestly, I've never used the timers in HomeSeer because their values don't update. Polling the timers didn't help either. So I found no use for timers in HS; I don't know about anyone else.

Also, I do occasionally use the windows forms - mostly for troubleshooting.

Mark
              Mark

Comment

Hello again,

Looks like some great feedback. KLS: The digital devices thing shouldn't be too hard, I will take care of it today.

What I really need to know, and still don't have a good answer for, is are timers supposed to be imported, and if so, were they imported correctly in version 2.0.30? Right now, with the code I am working on in the import section for Timers is completely commented out, and they will not be imported. I can fix this easily enough, but not being familiar with the Stargate myself I did not know if these are supposed to be imported. If they are, this functionality will go in.

As far as "Import" is concerned, the "Create Devices" function has been scrapped. The Import function will currently compare the JDS Database with HomeSeer Devices, and if it sees any devices that are either not in HomeSeer and in the JDS database, or in HomeSeer but different than that in the JDS database, It will update that device in HomeSeer.
                -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

Strongly Desired Features...

...from my point of view anyway. In addition to all the good things I have been seeing, please be sure the new, spiffed-up, web-enabled, HS-supported StarGate Plug-in also:

1) Imports everything from all I/O Xpanders
                  2) Imports everything from the IR Xpander (max is 512)
                  3) Imports everthing from the Relay Xpanders.

Thanks!

BTW: Some time back I suggested that HS "freeze" the version of Stargate firmware to be supported at 3.09.6 (the most recent and most likely the last version which will support the IVR Daughter Board). Has a decision been made and if so what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by RJ
                    Hello again,

Looks like some great feedback. KLS: The digital devices thing shouldn't be too hard, I will take care of it today.

What I really need to know, and still don't have a good answer for, is are timers supposed to be imported, and if so, were they imported correctly in version 2.0.30? Right now, with the code I am working on in the import section for Timers is completely commented out, and they will not be imported. I can fix this easily enough, but not being familiar with the Stargate myself I did not know if these are supposed to be imported. If they are, this functionality will go in.

As far as "Import" is concerned, the "Create Devices" function has been scrapped. The Import function will currently compare the JDS Database with HomeSeer Devices, and if it sees any devices that are either not in HomeSeer and in the JDS database, or in HomeSeer but different than that in the JDS database, It will update that device in HomeSeer.
                    RJ: Timers are not being imported at all. That is why it was so confusing with some of my devices being incorrectly defined in HS. Example: A Flag showing a state of 600 rather that on/off.

A couple of my analog devices showed the same status; a value of 600. I do have quite a few timers but none that I recall that have a value of 600 or a divisible number of 600 such as 60.

It would definitely be beneficial to import timers since I have quite a bit of code that is dependant on the state of timers: Running, stopped, is running, is stopping.

Thanks again RJ (Rick or Rich - I forget), you seem to be making progress that has been needed for some time now.

-Kevin
                    Last edited by ; June 30, 2006, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cairndhu1
                      ...from my point of view anyway. In addition to all the good things I have been seeing, please be sure the new, spiffed-up, web-enabled, HS-supported StarGate Plug-in also:

Thanks!

BTW: Some time back I suggested that HS "freeze" the version of Stargate firmware to be supported at 3.09.6 (the most recent and most likely the last version which will support the IVR Daughter Board). Has a decision been made and if so what is it?
                      Wow! #2 is the Holy Grail for me. Good point.

As for the firmware "freeze" I have to agree with you here since we all know JDS has dropped support for the IVR (voice) board so the remaining updates to the latest 3.x versions of the firmware are probably going to be limited.

Maybe HS can figure out a way for the plug-in to check the current version of the SG firmware: If it is less than 4.x then IVR support is needed and if the firmware version is above 4.x then IVR support is disabled or not imported or whatever.
                      Just tossing out some ideas here. Also, this discussion is the best I have seen pertaining to the marriage between HS and SG in the past two years!

I'm getting all excited about my HA system again!
                      Thanks to all of you for the input and support.

Also, I am thinking of selling my IVR board *IF* I can just remove it and load the 4.x firmware. I of course would have to use the HS voice functions and I already have purchased the HS phone license and internal PCI modem. Looking at the functionality I require it is apparent I will need the Way2Call modem.
                      Why is that darn thing so expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by Cairndhu1

Thanks!

Ok, this all seems doable, but I need some help. Right now, the plugin imports from the DBF files, specifically Device.DBF, IO.DBF, and Security.DBF. Are the Xpanders stored in thes files, if not, do you know which files they are stored in? I have the file format more or less figured out, and it shouldn't be too hard to get this to work.
                        -RJ (HomeSeer Tech)

Comment

As far as I can tell, SG creates DBF files when needed to cover expanders, LED keypads etc.

I have an 8crxr3.dbf, IR.dbf, ledkp1.dbf and ledkp2.dbf for example.

My RCS.dbf file I guess is the one covering the RCS relay unit, although it equally could be the RS485 Hub I suppose. They're passworded, so I've never been able to open them in Access or anything else to se what's in them.

I have noticed though that the modify dates change whenever I make changes to keypads, or the relay unit etc.

If anyone knows what the password is to access the data in them, I could work out which was which.

As far as "create" is concerned, feel free to dump it from my point of view. All it did was create a complete compliment of unamed devices for each and every one of the SG, whether or not is was configured in the SG itself.

If import creates and corrects then that's streets better! Just like the old days in fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by KLS
                            Wow! #2 is the Holy Grail for me. Good point.

Also, I am thinking of selling my IVR board *IF* I can just remove it and load the 4.x firmware. I of course would have to use the HS voice functions and I already have purchased the HS phone license and internal PCI modem. Looking at the functionality I require it is apparent I will need the Way2Call modem.

Why is that darn thing so expensive?
                            If you do decide to sell your IVR board, I would probably be interested in buying it as a spare. I am also interested in hearing how things go when you use the Way2Call as a substitute. I am thinking of trying the Way2Call as well except I will be using it in addition to the IVR board.

I think the comments suggesting that people are going to stop using the IVR board because it is no longer made are misleading. There are a lot of Stargates out there using the IVR board and I doubt that JDS support for that hardware line is going to be dropped any time soon.

Because the touch screen is about to be released and will probably spawn a couple of incremental firmware updates, it might also be premature to talk about freezing support at any current firmware level.

Comment

I will reiterate the need to provide import capability for the I/O Expander and the Relay Expander. These are a key strength of SG. But I'm slightly concerned if RJ doesn't actually have a SG with the various add-ons. Testing and troubleshooting could be a bitch without a test setup. I guess we are the test setup.

One more thing, I think it's short-sighted to talk about limiting to a specific firmware version already. Let's see where this goes. As was stated, I would think that 4.X firmware could be identified and handled differently.

Originally posted by maliga
                              I am also interested in hearing how things go when you use the Way2Call as a substitute. I am thinking of trying the Way2Call as well except I will be using it in addition to the IVR board.
                              Not to get too far off-topic, but I have been using the Way2Call for years. HS voicemail has been more reliable than SG voicemail. However, HS Phone does occasionally stop reporting new voicemails for me. This fixes with a HS reboot. I created a HS script to mimic SG voicemail. Tim Lacey created an IVR script to mimic some of the SG IVR stuff, but I haven't tried it yet. Nevertheless, my IVR board is still used for a few things. If my IVR board quits, I will only miss the audio switching.

Mark
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X