• Show
Clear All

Appliancelinc recall

I just received this email -

SmartLabs Design is announcing a voluntary recall and replacement program
    on the ApplianceLinc V2 and ICON Appliance On/Off Module (product numbers
    2456S3, 2856S3B, 2856S3).

Customers affected by this program are eligible to receive a replacement
    product (ApplianceLinc V2 or ICON Appliance On/Off Module) at no cost.

SmartLabs Design has identified a potential defect in the product, which
    may cause the product to overheat. If this occurs a small portion of the
    plastic case may melt. There has been no report of injury or damage.

The defect is characterized by the controlled load remaining in the "ON"
    position and not turning to the "OFF" position. Reports of this occurrence
    have been where the controlled device is one that creates an instant on
    load such as some fluorescent lights and small fans.

If you are in possession of product displaying this defect or would like a
    replacement product, please discontinue use and visit the link below for
    instructions on obtaining a replacement. SmartLabs Design is committed to
    providing only the highest quality products to our customers. We regret
    any inconvenience this matter may cause and appreciate your continued
    support.

Please visit http://www.smartlabsinc.com/replacement/appliance.html for
    instructions on obtaining a replacement.

SmartLabs Design

Thanks for the notice - I've just ordered some appliancelincs - hopefully the version that I receive won't be affected by this problem.

Comment

The news just keeps getting worse for Insteon.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
        The news just keeps getting worse for Insteon.
        Actually, I took this as good news. Many of us have known that the appliancelincs had serious problems. It seems they have addressed some issues and are finally shipping corrected hardware. Appliancelincs have been unavailable from Smarthome for quite a while now. They said "backordered", but there were plenty of hints that they were actually being re-worked.

For me, the fact that the appliancelincs are faulty is not anything new. The fact that they are corrected and being swapped out is new.

The old "glass half full or half empty" again, I guess.

I'm looking forward to testing the replacements on equipment that gave the old appliancelincs a hard time. One piece of electronic equipment refused to be switched by my appliancelinc - exibiting the behaviour they describe in the recall.

Jim H.

Comment

Jim,
          Alone this is very good news but combine this with the "State of Insteon" and it's just another bad sign. I certainly hope SmartHome can get Insteon back on stable ground on all accounts both hardware wise as well as software wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
            I certainly hope SmartHome can get Insteon back on stable ground on all accounts both hardware wise as well as software wise.
            We all join you in that hope.

Jim H.

Comment

I believe they will get it "right" eventually but the question is will we all have to upgrade all of our hardware which may alienate many of us from the protocol?

Comment

Icon Recall

SmartLabs Design is announcing a voluntary recall and replacement program
                on the ApplianceLinc V2 and ICON Appliance On/Off Module (product numbers
                2456S3, 2856S3B, 2856S3).

Customers affected by this program are eligible to receive a replacement
                product (ApplianceLinc V2 or ICON Appliance On/Off Module) at no cost.

SmartLabs Design has identified a potential defect in the product, which
                may cause the product to overheat. If this occurs a small portion of the
                plastic case may melt. There has been no report of injury or damage.

The defect is characterized by the controlled load remaining in the "ON"
                position and not turning to the "OFF" position. Reports of this occurrence
                have been where the controlled device is one that creates an instant on
                load such as some fluorescent lights and small fans.

If you are in possession of product displaying this defect or would like a
                replacement product, please discontinue use and visit the link below for
                instructions on obtaining a replacement. SmartLabs Design is committed to
                providing only the highest quality products to our customers. We regret
                any inconvenience this matter may cause and appreciate your continued
                support.

Please visit
                http://www.smartlabsinc.com/replacement/appliance.html</STYLE> for
                instructions on obtaining a replacement.

SmartLabs Design

Comment

Working...
                X