This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer Z-Troller FAQ

HomeSeer has introduced its own Z-Wave computer interface. This device is now shipping! Order from our store here:
    http://homeseer.com/products/hardware/z-troller.htm

Units should ship before the end of the month. There are a limited amount available, so don't hesitate if you want one early.

This FAQ attempts to answer some questions related to this new device.

Q: Why did HomeSeer develop their own controller? What is wrong with what is out there now?
    A: Very simply, we felt that the current offerings were too complicated to use and were not focused on computer control. Our new controller was designed to make it easier to install and maintain a Z-Wave installation.

Q: It seems expensive, how come?
    A: The controller actually replaces 2 devices. Previously, you had to purchase a Z-Wave primary controller and a Z-Wave PC interface separately. Since Z-Troller performs both functions, you only need *it* now.

Q: How come I don't need a remote? I thought I had to learn devices to my remote, then copy them to the PC interface?
    A: This is a combersome process and is no longer required. The Z-Troller is a portable device and runs off of both batteries and/or a power supply. Simply carry the Z-Troller to your Z-Wave device and press the ADD button. The device is added and the node ID is displayed for you. Now plug the Z-Troller back into your PC, click the "Load Devices" button in HomeSeer, and your done!

Q: What is all this talk about Primary and Secondary controllers, and why should I care?
    A: The current PC interfaces are Secondary Z-Wave controllers. This means they contain a copy of all the device information (information that tells the control how to contact each device, also known as routing information). The main copy is in the Primary controller, which is the remote control you used to set up the system. The problem with Secondary controllers is that they are limited in what they can do. They cannot re-build the network, delete or add devices, plus other limitations. If you lose your remote, you are stuck. The Z-Troller is a Primary controller. It has total control over your devices. It can force devices to re-discover their neighbors, remove failed nodes, and more. Note that the current interfaces could be used as a primary controller, but they would need a button added to them so nodes could be added, and they need to be moved to the device you are adding. Not practical unless you run HomeSeer on a laptop!

Q: I see an LED display on the Z-Troller, what is that for?
    A: This displays information like the ID of the device when you add it. This allows you to find the device in HomeSeer. It will display "b" when its on battery power, A/C when its connected to its power adapter, "conn" when its connected to the PC serial port, "disC" when its disconnected from the serial port, and displayes Add and Del messages when you are working with devices. When on batteries, it will display the amount of power left in the batteries.

Q: How long do the batteries last, and do I need them?
    A: The batteries are for portable operation ONLY. The unit should only be used on battery power when you are adding/removing devices. Otherwise, you should leave the unit connected to its power adapter. If you leave the batteries in the unit and experience a power outage, the batteries will continue to operate until depleted and the unit WILL LOCK UP. So, to prevent this, be sure to remove the batteries when the unit is connect to the AC adapter.

Q: What features do I get with the Z-Troller over other computer interfaces such as the HA22 or the ACT?
    A: When HomeSeer is connected to the Z-Troller, there are new options in the Z-Wave configuration and device properties. A new "Optimize Node" button in the device properties instructs the device to re-discover its neighbors. A new "Optimize Network" button in the setup instucts all nodes to re-discover their neighbors. Why is this important? Z-Wave devices are able to route commands through other nodes, but only nodes they can reach. If you are moving devices around, or even moving furniture, connections will change. Executing this command will insure that all communications are as reliable as possible. This feature also allows you to move devices without removing and re-adding them. The device properties also has a "Remove Node" button. If the device has failed or is lost, this will remove the device from the controller.

Q: What is this Signal Monitor feature?
    A: Just walk up to any Z-Wave device and tap the "Add" button. The device will "listen" for Z-Wave node information. Press the button on the Z-Wave device and the node ID will display. This can help find devices, and insure that there are no duplicate devices installed. It can also help find devices that are malfunctioning and are not able to transmit.

Q: I already have a Z-Wave system, do I have to re-add all my devices if I install the Z-Troller?
    A: Yes, but its not too bad. You need to go to each of your devices and delete them using the Z-Troller, then add them again. This is required since the Z-Troller is a primary controller and will have a different HomeID then your old controller. This new HomeID needs to be programmed into all of your devices. Write down the Node ID of each device as you add them. Now connect the Z-Troller to your HomeSeer system. All your devices will have the wrong Node ID assigned to them. Open the properties for each device (click on the name on the status page) and select the proper Node ID. Do this for all your devices. You should now be able to control them normally. You should also click on "Load Devices" (or Re-Load Devices). This will load any devices that might be missing in HS. Its also a good idea to click on "Rescan Devices". This causes HS to contact each device and get its supported device classes and manufacturer ID. This will ensure the device properties present you with the proper options.

Q: Can I still use my handheld remote after installing the Z-Troller?
    A: Yes. There is a new button in Setup that allows HomeSeer to create a secondary remote. You can click this button, then on the remote, set it to Receive information. It will now be a secondary remote and you can control your devices with it. You can create as many secondary remotes as you like.

Q: Is it only available as a serial device?
    A: This version is serial only. We are working on a USB version, target release is Q1 2007. You can use a USB to serial adapter if you don't have any free serial ports.

Q: Can I use the Z-Troller with other software?
    A: At this time, the Z-Troller was designed to work with HomeSeer only. Why would you want to use any other software?

Q: Is there a UK version of the Z-Troller?
    A: Not at this time, but we are considering it.

Q: What if the firmware in the controller changes, can I update it?
    A: Yes. The firmware is updatable by the user. We have a small updater program that you run on your PC that will update the firmware. If we make any changes we will simply make this program available to you so you can update it yourself. No need to send the unit back to us for updates. Zensys is changing their code on a monthly basis, so we expect there will be updates.

Q: I use my ZTH100 remote to create associations, can I still do this?
    A: Yes. In the HomeSeer Z-Wave setup use the Create Secondary button to copy device information to your handheld remote (IE ZTH100). You can now use the remote to set associations. Note that HomeSeer can also set the associations for you (from the Z-Wave setup page), so the remote is not needed.

TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS

Problem: The unit is locked up and won't work.
    Probable Cause: Power was lost or diconnected for some time and the batteries went dead.
    Solution: Disconnect the AC. Remote the batteries. Wait 1 minute. Reconnect the AC power and check.
    Prevention: Remove the batteries anytime the unit is operating on AC power.

Problem: The unit appears to work fine (add/remove/scan nodes) but HomeSeer cannot communicate with it.
    Probable Cause: One or more pins may have been bent on the serial adapter cable or the PS2 extension cable.
    Solution: Check all four connectors on the adapter and the extension cable. If pins are bent, gently restore them to their proper shape with a pair of needle nose pliers. If pins are broken, replace the adapter or cable.
    Prevention: Use care when attaching the adapter to the extension cable and extention cable to the Z-Troller.

Also check the transmit and receive buffers for your serial ports:
    http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=27
    Last edited by Rupp; August 24, 2011, 10:33 AM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products
Working...
X