HS 1.7 and zwave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS 1.7 and zwave?

Bare with me on this as I know next to nothing about ZWave...

I got a Zwave sirius radio for christmas (My wife really does love me!) and the remote display's the artist and song info. It also supports ZWave networks and other zwave remotes (not sure how though). The radio can also be added to more radios for multi zone support with select home units.

Anyway I tried messing with the currnt HS interface but since I do not have a controller the inerface locks up. so I have a few questions.

Do zwave devices act as repeaters?

Can X10 Events trigger zwave commands?

Will HS receive the artist/song onfo from the zwave transmission?

Which controller works the best with HS?

I already have an X10 controlled Sirius whole house system which works real well, I wanted this new system because of the remotes capabilities, since the X10 remotes are pretty bad and this radio is expandable to a degree.

Radio Link: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iZegRNf...&search=SIRIUS

Thanks,
    -Skybolt
    -Skybolt

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
    Do zwave devices act as repeaters?
    Most do. Battery-powered devices such as PIR sensors usually don't, but anything with steady power should be a repeater within the network.

Can X10 Events trigger zwave commands?
    If HS has the hardware to receive X10 commands, then it can use that information to trigger Z-Wave events. After everything is up and running, Z-Wave modules are just another set of devices that HS has control of. I *think* there's a bridge device out there that sees X10 and transmits Z-Wave (or maybe it's the other way around. . .)

Which controller works the best with HS?
    The Z-Troller, hands-down, is the best device to use for your network. This will require upgrading to the latest version of HS (2.2 Beta/release candidate to make full use of all new features).

And because HS sees X10 and Z-Wave modules as just another set of devices, it's relatively easy to migrate your system from X10 to Z-Wave over time, even if you just want to do one or two modules at each step

Comment

Thanks for such a quick reply - Merry Christmas.
      -Skybolt

Comment

ummmm,

Does HS 1.7 support the Z-Troller, he stated hs 1.7 in the subject.

StevenE
        Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

No, you need HS2 if you want to use the Z-Troller.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up, Rich. So basicly if I want to use ZWave with HS I need to complete the upgrade to HS2.

If I use the USB adpter can I still have HS learn ZWave commands?

I am not opposed to using HS2, I just have a lot of custom scripts/web-pages that I need to convert before I switch. So far it's been going real slow.

Thanks,
            -Skybolt
            -Skybolt

Comment

Ideally, you should use the Z-Troller, which is RS232.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                Ideally, you should use the Z-Troller, which is RS232.
                I agree, but for now, If I use the USB adpter can I still have HS learn ZWave commands or is the USB adapter not ment for this?

Thanks,

-Skybolt
                -Skybolt

Comment

The older USB and serial z-wave interfaces that will work with HS 1.7 are limited in what they can do. They can send basic lighting commands, on, off and dim, and with specific devices can receive status (typically on or off), there is also some special support for thermostats. Only the newer z-wave devices support sending status (or anything else), up until now with the exception of the motion detector, they were receive only.

The z-troller is the next generation interface and provides more features. But interacting with the Sirius system isn't one of them at this point. So if this is what you want to do, then your only option is to wait and see if HST can (and this is still an unanswered question) or will choose to provide support. Z-wave wasn't really designed to have two systems controlling one network. I'm not sure if the Sirius remote will want to share control of devices, and depending on how they implemented it, the devices might only associate with the Sirius remote, and not HomeSeer. But that is a really neat little system, I am thinking of picking one up myself.

Bill

Comment

To add, yes, you can learn Z-Wave devices with the USB interface, but you first must learn the commands to a Z-Wave remote, then copy the remote to the USB interface. Its a process that is no longer needed with the Z-Troller. With the Z-Troller, Z-Wave devices are learned directly to it.

Note that the USB interface and the Z-Troller do not learn Z-Wave commands, they learn ID's of Z-Wave devices. The actual command generation is done by HomeSeer.

Comment

bdickhaus,

The Sirius Conductor uses standard Z-Wave AV and Screen Metadata (external display) profiles. You can share a Z-Wave network between it and any other devices. It can be controlled it via any 3rd-generation or newer USB stick, RS232 controller, or other device.

Also, Z-Wave was designed specifically so multiple controllers or systems can control a single network... You can even make all your controllers be able to add/remove devices using a central controller (like the new Wayne-Dalton Ethernet Gateway).

Chris

Comment

Keep in mind that only remotes that support being a secondary controller can control the same devices as HomeSeer. The Harmony 890 and the Monster AVS300 are 2 Z-Wave remotes that can control Z-Wave devices, but they only work as primary remotes, they cannot be made a secondary remote. So in this case, these remotes cannot be used to control the same devices as HomeSeer. Unfortunately, Zensys does not appear to be policing this very well. I believe that if you are going to advertise Z-Wave compatibility, you need to support this. Monster says they will be supporting it around the end of Jan. No word from Logitech on the Harmony. As soon as the Monster remote supports being a secondary, we will offer it in our store, it is a nice remote.

Comment

The Sirius remote does alow multiple remotes to control the "Conductor". I am not sure about the primary control though. The remote has a copy feature allowing the commands to be received by other ZWave remotes, again not really sure what htat means (Yet anyway), I was hoping that HS would be able to receive the Artist and Song info via zwave as the remote does, maybe with plugin support if needed. If I can I will copy and PDF the page referanceing this. Still this looks like it has potential.
                          -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                            The Harmony 890 and the Monster AVS300 are 2 Z-Wave remotes that can control Z-Wave devices, but they only work as primary remotes, they cannot be made a secondary remote. So in this case, these remotes cannot be used to control the same devices as HomeSeer.
                            Yikes! That's a huge problem! Thanks for the heads-up. In addition to significant shipping delays, that was the final straw that got me to cancel my Harmony 1000 order
                            (I was first told Oct 31, now the latest shipping info says February!)

Comment

Here is a link to the owners manul of the conductor in PDF.
                              Pages 27,28 discuss the zwave network support.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Man...7/607SCH1W.PDF

-skybolt
                              -Skybolt

Comment

Working...
                              X