This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Unexplained HAI Thermostat Changes

I have my Omni Pro II connected to my HAI Thermostat. This past summer the thermostat worked well. I have a couple of set backs running (for cooling and heating).

I switched over to heat instead of AC a couple of weeks ago. Usually not an issue for the last 3 years.

One day last week I came home and noticed it was kind of warm in the house. The set back has the house temperature set to around 60 during the day when no one is home and it set to go to 68 around 5 PM. I looked at the thermostat and it was set to 90 remotely by HS. I looked at HS and yes it was set to 90 and it had never been set by me.

Tonight when I got home noticed it was a bit cool in the house. I looked at the thermostat and it had been set to cool at 60 again by HS.

I am wondering if anyone out there has the same combo (HAI thermostat, HAI Omni Pro II and current beta release version of the HS software) and seeing same or similiar issues?
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

To be specific, are you controlling thermostats through the HAI plug-in then through HomeSeer, or through the Thermostat Plug-In through a direct connection to the thermostat?

I have the first situation, with a HAI Omni Pro II with 2.15a firmware and HomeSeer 2.2.0.66 and the latest "beta" HAI plug-in.

I haven't seen the thermostat change, but I do have a related problem. I have noticed, with recent HAI plug-ins, a problem where the plug-in inquires the panel with enough frequency where I have other panel problem. For me, its timers that don't complete their countdowns, like they should.

Are you controlling thermostats with HAI code or with HomeSeer code?

Comment

Pete I have experianced that problem several times in the past caused by small power outages. The thermostat power comes from the furnace; when power glitches the tstats go to unknown states and lose communication with te panel. Kind of a poor design in my opinion not to have a battery backup in the tstat or have hai provide power.

What I do is detect the AC Power Restored from the hai system device and reboot my computer. Only problem is that sometims the time of the power glitch is too short for hai to detect.

BTW, you can test this scenario by turnig off your furnace for a few seconds.

-Ron

Comment

Good to know that I am not the only one. Thanks guys.

Currently running HAI firmware 2.14 on Omni Pro II, HS2 V 2.2.0.66 and current beta of the HAI plugin.

I am not controlling HAI thermostat via plugin and just using the connection to the HAI OmniPro II panel for status and to be able control thermostat via the other HAI consoles. I am using the setback programming in the HAI thermostat itself; so no HAI code nor HS code.

A while back bought an additional HAI module which connects to the furnace control board to keep power spikes from causing any issues.

I have not had any power problems in the last 2-3 weeks that I can see.
        I looked thru my HAI event log and have not noted any "AC Power Restored"

Ron - you detect the AC Power Restored and reboot Homeseer?

I do see "remote" sometimes on the thermostat (for no apparent reason) and I do not understand why I would see that unless I change something with the other alarm panels or with Homeseer.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi Pete,

Yes, I reboot HS when my tstats wack out after power restore, that's the only way I can get my tstats back in sync with the panel. I guess I should check the script help file; is there a way to reset the HAI panel from HS?

Since you have effectively a battery back-up with that HAI module in the furnace, it doesn't sound like it's the same problem I get.

I am running HAI version 2.13 Rev: B firmware, HAI Plug-In Version 2.1.2746.29695, HS2 V 2.2.0.66.

I always see "Remote" on all 5 of my tstats; I thought that was a consequence of HS programming them?

-Ron

Comment

Ron,
            The HAI panel and thermostat does get "confused" after a period of time. I have only done a "cold" reset a couple of times and one was relating to communications between the thermostat and HAI. Initially I thought that I had a defective thermostat and was very close to purchasing another one. I found some values in the thermostat diagnostics were way off (don't recall all of the specifics but many of the diagnostic values were beyond what was documented). I reset these values then I reset my HAI Omni Pro II (cold) and all was back to normal. The problem seems to have cleared up as all appears to be working normally now.

There probably is a way to reset the HAI panel - Rick or Ross may know how.

I continue see "remote" flashing still on the thermostat and do not understand why.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Interesting you guys are having thermo problems. I've had my omni pro II and RC80 for.. humm 4ish years now and have never had the RC80 do strange things (or the panel get confused about the current settings of RC80).
              But then again, if you get a little "blip" of a power problem it could easily causes problems. I can cut power to my RC80 quickly and the panel has always been able to communicate with the rc80. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Pete,
              How long does it take for the thermostats to show "remote" access?
              If you know when it'll happen, turn on debugging in the HAI plugin to show all the Comms between the plugin and the panel (how ever you do that these days) then wait for "remote" to happen and send me the log. I'll at least be able to tell you if it's the plugin doing it.
              p.s You don't have any programming in the Omni that does Thermostat stuff do you?

You can't "reset" the panel via Omnilink (the protocol you use to talk to the Omni), well I've never see this type of function documented or any HAI program do it, so I assume it can't be done.

Ross.

Comment

I have a friend with almost the same HAI/Homeseer setup as mine and his TSTATS lose communication with the panel/plugin when the power glitches also. The only way I have found to get the panel/plugin back in sync with the TSTATS is to restart HS.

Anyone know if there is a way to restart only the HAI plugin through one of its script commands(nothing in the help file). I am thinking if the TSTAT device changes to "Comm Err" then restart the plugin.

-Ron

Comment

Ron,

I'm a bit confused as to what's going on. Sometimes it sounds like the Thermo and the Panel have problems, other times it sounds like the plugin is the problem.

It sounds like during these times, the Thermostat and the Panel are communicating fine, it's the communications between Homeseer the and Omni Panel (via the HAI Plugin) that's the problem. Meaning, you can go to an Omni console and view the Thermostat information ok, but if you go to Homeseer, the Thermostat information is incorrect (or is still in Comm Error)?

Ross.

Comment

Ross,

I am fairly certain the problem is with the plug-in. I never need to reset the Omni panel and the status looks fine as viewed from PC Access. The plug-in initially shows a Comm Err, then the plug-in goes into a state where the temp setting fluctuate wildly as seen from the HAI HVAC page; the fans turn on and off as well. Restarting HS, which restarts the plug-in, clears things up. Hence looking for a way to restart the plug-in when I get Com Err versus taking HS down.

I can simulate this condition (power failure) by turning off/on my furnaces.

-Ron
                    Last edited by basshook; November 18, 2007, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Ok. That makes sense. I originally didn't understand why rebooting Homeseer had any impact at all on the Panel, but the problem is with the plugin itself.

You can try scriping to restart the plugin, but this almost always never works.
                      Create a file which has the below in it call it restarths.txt (this is an old type script, but I doubt this'll work regardless)

Sub Main()
                      Dim Value
                      Value = hs.plugin("HAI_SYSTEM").ShutdownIO()
                      Value = hs.plugin("HAI_SYSTEM").InitIO(2)
                      End Sub

Note that the second command has InitIO(2), replace 2 with the Com Port number that the HAI plugin is using.

If this doesn't restart the plugin then you have to restart Homeseer or get the HAI plugin fixed to handle this situation better.

Ross.

Comment

Been watching my thermostat. Only see remote flashing occasionally. Other than that the remote indicator is always on. Shut down HS and saw the same. I have three HAI consoles connected to my OmniPro II and use them to change or look at the thermostat and outside/inside temps and humidity. Wondering if it was a voltage issue when I switched over to using the heater instead of the AC. I keep my furnace fan running continously.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I assume you aren't using a common wire on the thermostat?

Comment

Ross, the shutdown worked, the hs.plugin("HAI_SYSTEM").InitIO(x) did not. I will put in a ticket or see if I can run the TSTAT off my UPS.

Pete, I always see "Remote" on my TSTATS; isn't that normal? The manual says "Remote" indicates the last command was sent by a Remote system.

-Ron

Comment

Interesting discussion guys. I had my 2 thermostats on the panel for ~2 years, then moved to the thermostat plug-in, which in my opinion is FAR better than that PITA panel plug-in. ;-)

I highly recommend the thermostat plug-in - it gives you so much more control, and the only thing you lose is the control via the consoles.

Anyway, while I had 2 thermostats on the panel and now 3 thermostats on the thermostat plug-in, I have never seen conditions like this.

Granted, the latest beta plug-ins do not seem to re-gain sync as well as the older plug-in, but that is because it is not suppose to lose sync as easily and there is new evidence that says it may be the .NET serial port control doing strange things like sitting on data instead of reporting its arrival, or reporting data that is not there. The panel plug-in has been a 4+ year struggle and HAI has been no help in getting the Ethernet link going.

I would like to see the debug logs when the panel gets into a situation where it won't sync up again - I'd like to know if it is a case where the whole plug-in is out of sync or just the thermostats, and if the responses are arriving, but the plug-in is not getting them in the right order.

Some recent discoveries with other users have shown that using the output devices (that is to say, having the plug-in create devices that correspond with HAI panel outputs), can cause bouncing on the outputs and other strange things, so if you can, turn off the devices and use the plug-in triggers and actions instead.
                              Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
                              X