Z-WAVE between a house an a barn 250' away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-WAVE between a house an a barn 250' away

Sorry if this has been addressed before but I am trying to migate to Z-wave and take advantage of HS deals by month's end by buying switches and relays and motion sensors and the usb stick controller.

anyhow I am trying to control my farm house with it which should be straightforward except I am trying to also control my barn which is about 250' away (in clear line of sight).

Is there any module/device or configuration that would allow me to bridge between the two dwellings? I do not see outdoor flood light modules or
    motion sensors that could probably improve the range of Z-Wave (not having to go throuh walls)

I only have AC power between barn and house; although I know my wi-fi camera works in terms of range between the two dwellings. I suppose I could get a rs-232/usb extender over wi-fi but I do not think the regular HS supports multiple Z-Wave controllers?

You could use a few HA04C outdoor modules to bridge the gap, but... remember, you only get 4 hops from source to destination, so plan your module placement well!

Another option (if you're using HomeSeer) is to upgrade to the HSPRO version and install 2 Z-Trollers to control your network; 1 in the house, 1 in the barn. You'll need to run some network cabling to the barn and use an ethernet to serial converter to attach the Z-Troller.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

thanks, will not have more than 2 hops I am sure.

is 250' realistic/reliable distance?

are muliple smartstick also posssible under HSpro or just Z-Trollers?; I am pretty sure they are ways to get ethernet to usb extenders.

Comment

I have Homeseer and all the plugins how do I upgrade to the pro version.

Thanks

Thom

Originally posted by macromark View Post
        You could use a few HA04C outdoor modules to bridge the gap, but... remember, you only get 4 hops from source to destination, so plan your module placement well!

Another option (if you're using HomeSeer) is to upgrade to the HSPRO version and install 2 Z-Trollers to control your network; 1 in the house, 1 in the barn. You'll need to run some network cabling to the barn and use an ethernet to serial converter to attach the Z-Troller.

Comment

Originally posted by fbitz777 View Post
          thanks, will not have more than 2 hops I am sure.

is 250' realistic/reliable distance?

are muliple smartstick also posssible under HSpro or just Z-Trollers?; I am pretty sure they are ways to get ethernet to usb extenders.
          250 feet may be pushing it. I found this on Google:

"I have two four-plex apartment buildings that are about 100 yards away from each other. I would like to know if there is a way to control the heat in the winter in each of these apartments wirelessly using Z-Wave. I would like to be able to control them from my laptop from inside one of the units. I would like to be able to see what the temperature in each unit is also from on my laptop. There is no internet available at these sites. What options would I have for this project?
          The best solution is to create a separate Z-Wave network for each unit and come in to each unit via an internet or RS485 bridge. As there is no internet available and I'm assuming you don't want to run cables, you could use a single Z-Wave network, one home ID, and control each unit as if they were rooms in a single house. While Z-Wave is a low-power RF Mesh networking technology and 100 yards is beyond the design range for the technology you may find that you can get Z-Wave to communicate over this distance in clear space, i.e.. no physical obstructions. You could test this by purchasing a few plug-in appliance modules and put one in each building and see if you get communication. I would place the plug-modules as close to each other in each building and starting with both modules on the upper floors of each building. This may work, I've seen Z-wave modules work over this distance, however, your best bet is to use a bridge product and keep each building as a separate Z-Wave network."
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
          X