DS10a / Doorbell Interfacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS10a / Doorbell Interfacing

I'll try it tomorrow, but has anyone just taken that magnetic switch and layed it against the coils of a conventional plunger style doorbell to see if it toggles the DS10a state? Normally I'd just try it but since it is 9:40 pm PST I think the WAF would drop.

~Bill

Bill, this works great! Been doing this almost a year.
    Rick

Comment

Same here and it too works perfect.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Here's mine.
        Attached Files

Comment

That's just how I envisioned it.
          Thank you for posting that.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            Here's mine.
            So lemme see if I get this right... im not sure so forgive me..

the ds10a with wires and normal end go near the coily thingy.... so im gonna guess that when the rod goes in... that acts as a magnet? hence where the ds10a triggers?
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

That coil thingy is an electromagnet so it activates the sensor.

Comment

Omg!

This is ingenious! Never thought of trying this. I wound up replacing my lighted doorbell button with an unlit one and DS10a wires to that. It was a PITA. So much so that when we moved, I never hooked it up.

I'm going to try this tomorrow!

I love this board......

Rob

Comment

Finally!

It only took 3 months, but I finally got around to doing this bell mod. It took about 4 minutes. I stuffed the reed switch box in between the electro magnet and some big hunk of plastic. It worked the first time. It did NOT work the second time when I took the striking rod out, but it worked the third time when I put the rod back in. When it was all said and done, I actually left the chime bars in, but buffered them with some foam tape. Now the actual bell is nearly silent.

This is SUCH a great way to do this. Considering the pains I went through to rewire the doorbell switch in my old house......this is SO much eaier. And it works just as well! ...and if WAF degradates, I can convert it back in about 2 minutes!

THANKS FOR THE IDEA! This board is incredible!

Rob

Comment

I need help with my doorbell setup. I've attached my doorbell and need to know where to place the ends of the DS10a once I snip off the Magnetic end. Any help would be appricated.

http://romperroommc.com/doorbell.jpg / Didn't want to clutter the screen up so I just put link

Comment

Originally posted by afmiller View Post
                      I need help with my doorbell setup. I've attached my doorbell and need to know where to place the ends of the DS10a once I snip off the Magnetic end. Any help would be appricated.

http://romperroommc.com/doorbell.jpg / Didn't want to clutter the screen up so I just put link
                      You can't connect the DS10A wires to the door bell without some other "electronics" because the door bell power supply supplies too much power and will burn up the DS10A. See the image below (or above) that I posted to allow the magnet to pick up on the slider. Otherwise you will have to build a circuit to interface the 2 pieces.

Comment

Ah I see, when I first looked I didn't notice the magnet. I see it now, it's just near the coil. So when the coil is active it will pick the magnetic field up and send the signal.

I have 2 colds does it matter which one?

Comment

Originally posted by afmiller View Post
                          Ah I see, when I first looked I didn't notice the magnet. I see it now, it's just near the coil. So when the coil is active it will pick the magnetic field up and send the signal.

I have 2 colds does it matter which one?
                          It shouldn't matter but on mine one coil is for the front door the other is for the back door. Also note that I had to cut part of the plastic off the magnet cover to get it close enough.

Comment

Yes I see that as well now. I will have to tinker with it. Will let you know how it turns out

Comment

I got it working, but I have to hold the bell in longer than most people would press it for. Is there any way to fix that?

Comment

Working...
                              X