xAP Install Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xAP Install Guide

I see there are several posts around the xAP installation but is there beginner's guide that shows how to install and configure for a beginner? There are a lot of posts but I can't seem to find the basic installation instructions.

I did a guide that is oriented toward the homeseer plugin, 1-wire and charting at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=113939. I know there is also descriptive information in the some of the manuals asociated with xAP application such as http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=120345. Telefragger also wrote a dummies guide. It was posted on a couple sites, but the links are broken. He indicated he would repost it not too long ago. There have been others that indicated they would help the community by providing guides, but these have not materialized. There is also general information about xAP starting as http://xapautomation.org but the field so broad that this tends to confuse rather than help the homeseer user.

Comment

Unfortunately I think I am still stumped. I am not sure where to start with using xAP. The documents you included are for after you have already installed the hub? I am not even sure how to get that far. Is that the document that Telefragger put together? If so I noticed he hasn't re-posted the document. Can someone who has a copy post it?

Sorry for the confusion but I am really new to this piece and it seems that it will do what I need for several of my projects.

Comment

Originally posted by sforeman00 View Post
        Unfortunately I think I am still stumped. I am not sure where to start with using xAP. The documents you included are for after you have already installed the hub? I am not even sure how to get that far. Is that the document that Telefragger put together? If so I noticed he hasn't re-posted the document. Can someone who has a copy post it?

Sorry for the confusion but I am really new to this piece and it seems that it will do what I need for several of my projects.
        I'm sure he won't mind if I attach it to this message. Good luck with it. I didn't have much luck with Xap and the one wire hub, I still think it was something system specific but at any rate have at it and good luck!.

Nuts, forgot the file.
        Attached Files
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Thanks Marty for the doc.

I was able to download the xap-xpl hub V1.2.1 from MCS site. After installing and running the hub I noticed that the only selection that works is View Traffic. The Help, System Config and System Status selections do not do anything. Is this normal?

Also, I guess I should ask before I go too far down this path... Has anyone used this to communicate with Weather Display? They support xAP and I can see records being received but there is no view in the hub for any other information.

i appreciate the help.

Comment

I was able to download the xap-xpl hub V1.2.1 from MCS site. After installing and running the hub I noticed that the only selection that works is View Traffic. The Help, System Config and System Status selections do not do anything. Is this normal?

Also, I guess I should ask before I go too far down this path... Has anyone used this to communicate with Weather Display? They support xAP and I can see records being received but there is no view in the hub for any other information.

i appreciate the help.
            If you are looking for a way to get Weather Display data into HomeSeer there are scripts that come with WD to load devices into HomeSeer.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

i appreciate the help.
              I wish I could be more help to you but as I failed at getting Xap to run reliably I'm afraid I won't be able to do much for you. I've since gone to the Temp08 unit for my temp sensors. As much as I liked the hub idea i just never could get it to work for more than a week at a a time. there are others here that do fine with it so I hope someone who was a success at it will jump in and lead you in the right direction. It's a fairly complicated setup.
              Marty
              ------
              XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
              Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

One confusion is the use of 1-wire and hub in this discussion. There is a plethora of applications that use xAP protocol to communicate with other HA applications. Just one of these is xapmcs1Wire. While xapmcs1Wire is a popular application, it is not synonymous with xAP. Saying xapmcs1Wire is xAP would be like saying DS10A is X10.

Hub is a very common term with many meanings. There are USB hubs, there are ethernet hubs, there are 1-wire hubs and there are xAP hubs. If you are talking about 1-wire then a 1-wire hub can be used to advantage. Dont try to use a 1-wire hub to connect USB devices or any other mix and match of hubs.

When I was writing my user manual for xapmcsSpykee I included an front-end section that trys to describe the install and use of the xAP hub. It is oriented to just getting started as that was the initial request in this thread for an install guide. What I did not do was repeat the information about the mcsXap plugin as it also is just one xAP application. The install guide I referenced earlier should help with mcsXap and how mcsXap interacts with other xAP applications and with Homeseer. For convenience I'm posting the xapmcsSpykee manual for access to the initial setup info.

mcsXaphub, and most mcs xAP applications will have two "system" tray options. The posted applications have these functions disabled. They are oriented to an integrated environment and users on this board are interested in the xAP applications that look like Homeseer plugins rather than a distributed operating environment.

I was not aware of Weather Display supporting the xAP protocol. The xAP Viewer (see the xapmcsSpykee manual) is a good tool to see what WeatherDisplay is really producing. If it follows any of the published standards then it should comingle with the other xAP applications and mcsXap in particular to give Homeseer visibility into what it is trying to provide.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X