My 1-Wire Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1-Wire Network

In my home, I have about 14 environmental sensors installed throughout the house. I use 2 - EDS JB6 junction boxes which simples the installation of my 1-Wire network using a star topology (a star topology means I have individual cable runs running from a central point to each of the 1-wire sensors). Each sensor is then connected to either an HA7Net or and OWServer Intelligent 1-Wire Interface Adapters (only one 1-wire adapter is needed). The EDS 1-wire interface adapters allow multiple clients to connect so I can have HomeSeer pull temperature readings while viewing the results using the built in web server.

Cable Runs:
    I used an unused cable pair of my home phone network to quickly add temperature sensors in every room that has a phone. For the remaining runs, I simply pulled a cat 5 cable to various locations (basement, attic, family room, outside). Each cable run has 1 or more sensors installed (e.g. temperature, humidity, light detector, lightning sensor, counters, etc.)

For anyone interested in installing a 1-wire network, I am providing a few pictures of my setup and a screenshot of the web page provided by the new OWServer intelligent 1-Wire interface adapter supported by the Ultra1Wire2 HomeSeer plug-in.

Comments and questions are welcome.

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Attached Files
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Now I know where your plugin fortune goes.

~Bill

Comment

Very nice Ultrajones.

Is that a 28" or 42" cabinet?
      Curious where your Temp08 is at?

I need to update mine - it has become very spaghetti like; using a star topology though but a little bit of high maintainance (2 Temp08's, Temp05 and two 9097's-31 devices).
      It does fit in a small space right now - but very difficult upkeep. I was going to post a picture - but too embarrassed.
      added up your costs -

HA7Net - $155.95
      JB6 1-Wire Junction Box $69.95 X2 ($139.90)
      OW-SERVER - 1-Wire to Ethernet Server $99.95
      =====================================
      Total = $395.80

What are the pinouts you use for your RJ-12/11s(?) temperature sensors? Then you take these over to the JB6's?
      Last edited by Pete; May 18, 2010, 11:39 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Very nice Ultrajones.

Is that a 28" or 42" cabinet?
        Curious where your Temp08 is at?

I need to update mine - it has become very spaghetti like; using a star topology though but a little bit of high maintainance (2 Temp08's, Temp05 and two 9097's-31 devices).
        It does fit in a small space right now - but very difficult upkeep. I was going to post a picture - but too embarrassed.
        added up your costs -

HA7Net - $155.95
        JB6 1-Wire Junction Box $69.95 X2 ($139.90)
        OW-SERVER - 1-Wire to Ethernet Server $99.95
        =====================================
        Total = $395.80

What are the pinouts you use for your RJ-12/11s(?) temperature sensors? Then you take these over to the JB6's?
        I use a 42" cabinet purchased from Home Depot.

I have the TEMP08, WebControl and HA7E connected to my development system. I no longer have them connected to my production HomeSeer system.

For my home automation setup, I could have used either the OW-SERVER or the HA7net. They both have 3 built in 1-wire ports. I exceeded 3 ports after I added a few additional test sensors (counters, switches, etc).

Pin Outs for the 1-wire Trunk Side (J1 and J2):

Pin 4 - 1-Wire Data
        Pin 5 - Ground
        Pin 7 - Ground
        Pin 8 - V-In (+5V dc)

Pin Outs for the 1-wire network side (J3 to J8):

Pin 2 - Ground
        Pin 3 - 1-Wire Data
        Pin 4 - Ground
        Pin 6 - V-Out (+5V dc)

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Last edited by Ultrajones; May 19, 2010, 03:50 PM.
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Thanks Ultrajones.

So using the JB6's would give you 6 1-wire ports to 1 connection to a HA7NET or OW-Server theoretically then giving you 18 1-wire devices off of the setup eh?
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Thanks Ultrajones.

So using the JB6's would give you 6 1-wire ports to 1 connection to a HA7NET or OW-Server theoretically then giving you 18 1-wire devices off of the setup eh?
            It can actually support more than that because each JB6 has 2 ports on the 1-wire trunk side (J1 and J2) allowing you to daisy chain them together. Plus, the 1-wire network side (J3-J8) can support support mulple 1-wire devices dasiy chained together.

Regards,
            Ultrajones

Comment

I like the way you mounted the temp sensor. Great Idea.

Would you share how you mount other sensors?

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

I'm new to 1-wire technology and have been researching for a couple of days trying to figure out what hardware is needed for what I'm trying to accomplish. I would like to go with the OWServer along with a 6 temperature and Humidity sensors. I have cat5 running to every room in my house, going to a central location in my server room.

After i hook up the OWServer to my network do I just simiply connect my sensors to the cat5 drops in the rooms? If so then are the 3 RJ 11 jacks on the unit not used unless connecting sensors directly to it?

I've read up on the EDS JB6 but I am still unsure of if this is needed in my type of setup or not. Please tell me if any additional hardware is needed to get 1-wire up and running on my network.

Thanks

Comment

Yes, you can simply connect the 1-wire sensors to the cat 5 cables in each room. If you have 6 or more home runs connect to 1-wire sensors, then I highly recommend the EDS JB6. If you can limit your setup to 3 home runs with the 1-wire sensors connected in series, then you could get away with connecting them directly to the 3 ports on the EDS OWServer.

Regards,
                  Ultrajones

Comment

Thanks for the info.

One more question on the EDS JB6 what do ports J3-J6 connect to? I found the manual but its still not clear to me. Are these new runs that need to be made for the additional sensors?

Thanks

Comment

Yes, those are the termination point of your cat 5 cables that will be connected to your 1-wire sensors.

Comment

Ultrajones, I love your enclosure. I have some questions:

- I think this is a Leviton Structured Panel. I notice that the modules are attached to some type of Horizontal bar. What is that?

- What is the difference between
                        -> HA7Net - Ethernet 1-Wire Host Adapter
                        -> OW-SERVER - 1-Wire to Ethernet Server

It seems that both do the same thing.
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
                        jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

The Horizontal bar is Elk part number: ELK-SWR

The HA7Net and OW-SERVER essentially do the same thing. I prefer the OW-Server as it is easier to use and provides a nice formatted HTML output showing the status of the 1-wire connected devices.

Regards,
                          Ultrajones

Comment

Thanks so much for the help. Does all your equipment reside in Structured Cabinets? It is a very clean setup!

I want to do the same thing but do not know where all the plug in power supplies should reside. I did not know if you had a separate cabinet for all the power items.
                            Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
                            jean@vaneskahian.com

Comment

Jean,

Here in the midwest I have my 1-wire network arranged in a star topology (not recommended today). I can though add to the single Cat5E runs to mix the topology some.

I did set up each of my 1-wire devices on their own Cat5E (over kill a bit) and terminated them in the older style 6 port Leviton Cat5e mini patch panels.

This setup is arranged with 3 sets of these little mini patch panels. These are installed in the upper section of my Leviton 42" panel. In the same section I have 2 Temp0x's configued.

This is a bit easier for me to keep track of the 1-wire runs. IE: keeping these runs separate from the networking runs. I have three of these in place (18 1-wire runs).

Where the RG-6 spitter is pictured I have two Temp08 devices. I use different voltages for different devices. These are parasitic and non parasitic devices.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Pete; February 15, 2012, 11:51 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X