www.homeseer.com  

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Audio & Video Support > Camera Plug-ins > NetCam

NetCam The NetCam plugin provides access to network based cameras.

Old November 18th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Seer Deluxe

Warning Setup mail server on Foscam Ip Cam

When I try to setup of mail server for Foscam Ip Cam, I receive this error "The receiver is denied by the server. Maybe because of the anti-spam privacy of the server"

Has anybody found a way to get this mail server to work and what Smtp provider are you using. Could anyone give me a example of how to set this up.

I try the following Smtp Providers: Gmail, Hotmail, Optonline

Thank you

Greg Mack
Old November 19th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Seer Deluxe

This thread helped me to get started http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ferrerid=64387. I use Comcast with SMTP Server smtp.comcast.net, Port 587, checked Authentication, entered Username and Pwd. Clicking Test is successful. Also checked Report Internet IP by Mail and get those emails ok too. I reduced the 'Sensibility' so that I don't get triggered for every sunrise/set and now it's not missed one person entering or leaving my front door.
Other SMTP info: http://c3sd.com/email_servers_ports.php. Sorry haven't tried the emails you mentioned, but at least I wanted to share that the Foscam email does work great for me.
Old November 19th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Seer Deluxe

Maybe I don't have issues as the webcam doesn't work much at all as it's in a vacation home where only one or two contractors go in and out per week? It doesn't patrol, it just sits and stares at the door. I've got another 3 cams on order so I'll see how those pan out too.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:01 AM
OverSeer

I did a similiar thing using the Panasonic IP cams a few years ago and a construction site. It worked well for me. It related though to having to be at two places at once.

Homeseer User

Last edited by Pete; November 23rd, 2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Viewer

Default Foscam Email Alert

I continue to have server errors on Test email. I have followed the instructions (which are not very good regarding this). I have tested the Windows Mail SMTP send to gmail, which is received by the 3rd mail account.

Settings on the Real-Time IP Camera Monitoring System

Sender = my gmail account
Receiver = the 3rd email account
SMPTP = smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port = 465
SMTP User = blahblah@gmail.com
SMTP Password = Password

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong with continued Server Error messages.
Thanks
Nunners
Old January 29th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Seer Deluxe

From other posts about gmail it looks like it needs SSL. Folks use Stunnel for SSL email e.g. with HS on a PC, but that won't help you with the Foscam. Maybe Pete can find a workaround, but otherwise you may wish to try a different SMTP service.
Old January 30th, 2011, 12:25 PM
OverSeer

So far my Foscam has been stable. I do utilize SSL today / STunnel and HSPro doing the email stuff. OK I tested it with GMail and STunnel. It worked. You will need to utilize STunnel on your HS box. I already use it for Gmail so its already there. Now if the Foscam is on a network without STunnel running on some other computer then it will not work. As the Foscam doesn't do SSL with Gmail you do the following work around. If you don't have HSPro setup without STunnel then it will not work. For a stand alone network then you will need to your ISP. My ISP's Comcast and Verizon both let me still utilize SMTP port 25 today. Mostly everyone on Comcast has been switched over to port 587 (?). What I did to make it work is utilize the STunnel setup on HSPro by putting in the IP of the HSPro server and port 25 for the Gmail configuration to utilize the STunnel running on HSPro as a relay to the SSL connection on GMail. Here are a couple of pics. The first one is of the Foscam configuration and the second one is of the received email on Gmail dot com from the Foscam "test".
Attached Images

Homeseer User

Last edited by Pete; January 30th, 2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Seer

I struggled to get this to work with gmail but finally did after realizing i needed to do 2 things:

1. put the data in the "Mail Service Settings' form for the camera. Hit 'Submit' before you hit 'Test' otherwise it seems entered data is not used in the test. I guess the warning 'please set first then test' could be clearer for dummy's like me. Maybe it should read: enter information into the form, hit submit, then test.

2. For my gmail account in STunnel I had to use the newer 'googlemail' mailboxes:

[pop3s]
accept = 110
connect = pop.googlemail.com:995

[ssmtp]
accept = 25
connect = smtp.googlemail.com:465

Hope this helps others. Works reliably.
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:30 PM
OverSeer

Good News!

I had previously documented STunnel with G Mail above; but I know its buried. I think I'll do an FAQ relating to the configuration of STunnel. Its relatively non invasive to the HS box setup.

Its a great program; I've used it for many years now with HS.

Homeseer User
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:15 PM
OverSeer

I'd been battling this issue for several days...
Configure the SMTP server to the same settings as my email client... Test... Fail. Test... Fail...
Tried several other SMTP servers with the same result.

Eventually, I turned off the software firewall on the PC(s) I was testing with and voila! Success. How the firewall got in the way is anyone's guess.
Left on it's own to email automatically, the camera's email is working just fine.

Automate everything, modify the rest... but remember... For every action, there is an equal and unexpected reaction.
Old June 19th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Super Seer

I have done a similar thing, set up my foscam(s) to send a message when there is motion detected. I have managed to get mine working, but i had to save settings, then do a test before it seemed to work.

I do get slightly concerned over how many emails it sends, so I set a schedule up to try and limit the number that get sent. It also sends to my gmail account, so all i did was set it to mark the message as read, and archive it into a specific folder on my gmail. That way i don't get 100 messages on my phone (well i do, but they don't show up as new messages).

Because I also run my own internal mail server, that was also another option, but one i would like to limit as I use mail for lots of other things which are more time sensitive, (pager messages etc) and don't want to clog that up with camera messages.
ESXi Host, Guest: Win7 with HS3PRO (beta 0.111 - Downgrading). Plugins:X10, Z-Wave, RFXCOM,Squeezebox,BeakerRain,WeatherXML,BLUPS & BL-Others,Currentcost,HSTouch,Netcam,PHLocation,Pushover,UltraG CIR,XBMC,Jon00 RCCNM & Others,