Kinect Occupancy Detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinect Occupancy Detector

This can not only detect occupancy. But, it can tell how many occupants there are and where they are in the room.
    Real-time People detection and tracking with multiple Kinect cameras
    http://kinecthacks.net/page/12/

Also, is it a person or a pet.
    Object Recognition using Kinect on the PC
    http://kinecthacks.net/page/16/

Hi cactsbob,

I specifically requested a kinect for my birthday (I don't have the xbox360) so I can seee what I can do with homeseer.

No sure what track I'll take, been looking at all the youtube stuff and also will get some of the public windows and linux drivers down over the next few months or so and have a play.

I'm interested in presense (possibly tied into emtion plugin), also had guesture recognition for control of home theatre, and also waving hands around to trigger HS events such as volume up/down, channel change, thermostat adjust, light control/dimming etc.

cheers,
    Phil

Comment

Those are good ideas. I'm thinking about getting a Kinect to play around with too. The HA possibilities are compelling. There are rumors that Microsoft is about to release an SDK. Let me know how it goes.

Comment

love our kinect just playing with it on the 360... it recognizes me and signs me into xbox live...

when i play.. My Shape (yes i do have a shape.. it is round..)..

my dogs walk in and it shows them.. funny....

the power of it is there.. someone needs to unleash it...
        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I'm honestly surprised Michael McS hasn't already knocked out a hack-plug-in combo akin to the Audrey hack-plug-in combo
          huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Just putting my name here to follow up on this. I just purchased Kinect and will certainly observe, with great interest, new hacking options as they become available.

Comment

Kinect

OK, who is going to be the first person to develop a Kinect plug-in for HS and collect my money?

Comment

I'm already working on integrating Kinect. Will post some results once I get something interesting.

What kind of things are people interested in? ATM I'm just tracking occupancy and their position in the room that enables triggering devices on/off (much the like the video). When MS release their software I'm hoping to get access to the mic array for speech recognition.

Comment

I am extremely interested in your results. Although they are very expensive, a really top notch occupancy sensor like that would be awesome for certain rooms. Especially if you do not have to have the XBox with it...:-)

Comment

I'm also integrating a 'privacy mode' where the kinect rotates the cameras so that they're staring in the ceiling and stops monitoring. Thought it might help some people feel more comfortable (esp. when we have people housesitting).

Comment

Originally posted by walshy002000 View Post
                      I'm also integrating a 'privacy mode' where the kinect rotates the cameras so that they're staring in the ceiling and stops monitoring. Thought it might help some people feel more comfortable (esp. when we have people housesitting).
                      What hardware are you going to use to interface with the Kinect?
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

There is open source available for interfacing with the kinect. I have it and played with it a little bit (very little so far -- really just looked at the code).
                        I am planning on getting back to it very soon.
                        I have a kinect and will be doing a plugin in the future for the kinect.
                        I think it could be very cool.
                        Cheers,
                        Bob
                        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by walshy002000 View Post
                          What kind of things are people interested in?
                          I'd like to support more than one Kinect, either by proxy running on various computers I have around the house, or multiple on one PC if possible.

Triggers and Actions.

Graphical setup of zoned trigger areas.

Pet vs Human vs Object detection.

Device status detection for lights that don't support status, TV sets that are on etc... stuff it can see that is well defined... The light is on/off, the blinds are open/closed, the door is open/closed, there are 3 cars in the driveway vs 1 or 2 etc.

If multiple Kinect cameras overlap a space, areas should be combined for logic purposes. Example: A camera in my kitchen would also see part of my dining room... The camera in my living room would see part of the dining room and part of the kitchen. If there is an overlapped space I want to detect I don't want to have to write rules that check each camera... I'd like them all to be combined as one floor plan.

Maybe a security feature that would allow actual viewing of the cameras images or capturing them for reviewing later.
                          Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Multiple Kinects for me are a must - one per major area. ATM I have a small PC running per room so my setup will be a 1-to-1 ratio (hopefully the PCs are powerful enough). Supporting cameras as IP will be implemented (shouldn't be too hard at all). Detecting lights and blinds wouldn't necessarily be hard, just require programming outside what's required for the rest. For pet detection, I was just going to take the height of the object as a rough indicator of what need to be done with (this might also enable some cool stuff if I sit down the couch ;-)

My framework (however early it may be) I have support multiple Kinects and you don't have to add rules to each individually. I haven't tried multiple Kinects covering one area and I have seen it done, but I've also read about interferance, so it might pay to check out how close you can get them before (if ever) this becomes an issue.

I've been working on the Kinect for a work project for a few months and it really is a cool device. But after playing with the non-Microsoft frameworks for a while I'm keen to see what MS can bring to the table when they release their own software

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                              What hardware are you going to use to interface with the Kinect?
                              Don't need any hardware. The sensor plugs into the PC via USB and you can interface with it using the OpenKinect drivers (and OpenNI/NITE for gestures and skeleton tracking). If you bought the Kinect with an xbox, you don't get a USB adaptor (it only comes with Kinects bought on their own), but they're readily available from ebay. Let you get visible light and depth cameras, along with changing the angle of the Kinect using it's internal motor (and level) and the LED color/state.

Comment

Working...
                              X