No announcement yet.

Kinect Occupancy Detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My early ideas are posted further back, I have the kinect, but due to work travel got delayed on using the open NI framework, will wait for the MS and take a decision on which one to develop on since they are "promised" real soon now...
    Phil

Comment

glad to join the post.... I have $$ ready for plug-in
      I posted this in general and the crowd brought me here

http://www.cepro.com/article/hack_tu...m_medium=email
      Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

I hope there is progress on this. I would much rather have a few Kinects mounted around the house, than the other idea I have, which is to put a few dozen ceiling mounted motion detectors in.

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
          I hope there is progress on this. I would much rather have a few Kinects mounted around the house, than the other idea I have, which is to put a few dozen ceiling mounted motion detectors in.

if you can get the motion detectors solution solid let me know.. i have so many issues with the stability of them....
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
            if you can get the motion detectors solution solid let me know.. i have so many issues with the stability of them....
            I have tested a few models so far using photography lighting tripods to temporarily place them. All of the cheaper ones are trash. Even the Homeseer one is no good. I have had the best results so far with some ceiling mounted ones that only detect movement within the cone of detection directly under it. While this would also allow me better area of the room presence information, it means installing a LOT of them. As I said the cheaper ones are junk too, so it would be quite expensive to do the whole house.

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
              All of the cheaper ones are trash.
              Can you elaborate on your criteria? I find the very inexpensive X10 motion sensors are good at sensing motion, but poor at covering a defined area within a larger space. They also pick up pets unless carefully aimed. By experimenting with placement, though, I can get a pretty good reading on motion in a room. And if I allow enough time with no motion to accommodate a sedentary occupant, they do an acceptable job distinguishing an unoccupied from an occupied room.

I've never tired the dual technology devices, but I would expect that they could do a better job of real occupancy detection rather than simple motion detection.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Bump.

Any progress on the KINECT front ?

I have no time right now to fiddle with my KINECT and could certainly use a basic homeseer plugin...

I would like to use mine to read the position of people inside the room and return x-y type coordinates (as homeseer devices values for example). I could also use the ability of my KINECT to identify pre-defined gestures that would, in turn, be used to trigger homeseer events...

Comment

Looks like the kinect controller is in the beta testing phase and available:

http://www.nitrogenlogic.com/product...ontroller.html

Looks like it'll be $325 + the cost of the kinect. Not exactly cheap but it opens the door for totally new automation opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
                    Looks like the kinect controller is in the beta testing phase and available:

http://www.nitrogenlogic.com/product...ontroller.html

Looks like it'll be $325 + the cost of the kinect. Not exactly cheap but it opens the door for totally new automation opportunities.
                    hmmm... I'm not really seing the benefit here.

Why use additional hardware when a pc, a kinect and control software is all you need ?

Comment

yeah, that just kind of inflates the cost and why I haven't bought it yet. I'd pay for the software and just create a vmware VM but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
                        yeah, that just kind of inflates the cost and why I haven't bought it yet. I'd pay for the software and just create a vmware VM but that doesn't seem to be an option.
                        the problem is it then becomes a support issue for the dev which looked like one guy in his apartment. people will have their own custom, bizzare configurations of hw/os/vm that they want to install the sw on. this is self contained, updates need only be tested on one device, ... the plug is a $50 piece of hardware, even if it's marked up a little - would you be willing to pay $250 for the sw alone?

Comment

Originally posted by damage View Post
                          the problem is it then becomes a support issue for the dev which looked like one guy in his apartment. people will have their own custom, bizzare configurations of hw/os/vm that they want to install the sw on. this is self contained, updates need only be tested on one device, ... the plug is a $50 piece of hardware, even if it's marked up a little - would you be willing to pay $250 for the sw alone?
                          Where do you get a figure of 50$ for hardware (the site talks about 300 something like madmax indicated) ?

Comment

Originally posted by fran_joel View Post
                            Where do you get a figure of 50$ for hardware (the site talks about 300 something like madmax indicated) ?
                            the hardware is a pogoplug/sheevaplug. the markup in the pricing is for the sw

Comment

kinect update?

Is anyone still working on a Kinect plug-in or has interest dissappeared?

Comment

I still have interest, but I'm not sure I have the money or time right now
                                Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Working...
                                X