Z-wave modules X-10 signal suckers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave modules X-10 signal suckers?

I'm fighting a weak X-10 signal problem on a system that has worked well for 15 years. I posted earlier about finding a signal meter and just received a XTBM yesterday. I've got low signal strength on a number of circuits.

I posted a pretty detailed note on my setup on the X10forums and got a response that the addition of Z-wave modules may be the source of my problem. In part, it said:

"I bought some Intermatic Home Settings ZWave devices when they where discontinued. Mostly as a curiosity and they where dirt cheap

I found they are a severe power line signal sucker. Since they are RF only. They used a .1uf 275 volt AC power line rated capactor. Directly across the AC power input."

I'll do some testing, but was curious if others have experience problems with Z-wave creating X-10 issues.

Barry

I ran X10 alongside Z-Wave for a while and didnt notice any problems on the X10 side.
    I ran a SmartHome SignaLinc Repeater, though. Are you running any sort of coupler/repeater?

edit: here's the one I used: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robmaso...7624810350921/
    Last edited by rmasonjr; February 10, 2011, 09:24 AM. Reason: added link to pic
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I have about 15 Z-Wave devices and 16 X10 devices and I've not noticed any issues with the Z-Wave devices affecting my X10 network. The only device that affects my X10 traffic is one Dell laptop power supply.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        I have about 15 Z-Wave devices and 16 X10 devices and I've not noticed any issues with the Z-Wave devices affecting my X10 network. The only device that affects my X10 traffic is one Dell laptop power supply.
        ?? I thought you had 29 Z-Wave devices. Are you moving to another technology?

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          I ran X10 alongside Z-Wave for a while and didnt notice any problems on the X10 side.
          I ran a SmartHome SignaLinc Repeater, though. Are you running any sort of coupler/repeater?

edit: here's the one I used: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robmaso...7624810350921/
          I just replaced an old Leviton coupler with a XPCR, hoping that was the problem. However, I have a very complex wiring setup and the repeater is on the main panel in the house. There is a sub-panel and a generator auto-transfer panel as well in the basement. There are separate panels in the garage and barn. The problem circuit is wired in the auto-transfer panel. The outlet for the TI103 is on the sub-panel. I'm going to move it and see if that helps.

Interestingly, I did find an Intermatic lamp module that is definitely a problem. With the module plugged in, I got a reading of 0.40. With it off the circuit, I got a reading of 1.20. The other two modules also lowered the signal, but not by much.

I'll keep testing and report back.

Barry

Comment

?? I thought you had 29 Z-Wave devices. Are you moving to another technology?
            Adding some (more) UPB and Insteon. I'm constantly moving modules in and out for testing purposed and replacement in the case of Insteon.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
              I just replaced an old Leviton coupler with a XPCR, hoping that was the problem. However, I have a very complex wiring setup and the repeater is on the main panel in the house. There is a sub-panel and a generator auto-transfer panel as well in the basement. There are separate panels in the garage and barn. The problem circuit is wired in the auto-transfer panel. The outlet for the TI103 is on the sub-panel. I'm going to move it and see if that helps.

Interestingly, I did find an Intermatic lamp module that is definitely a problem. With the module plugged in, I got a reading of 0.40. With it off the circuit, I got a reading of 1.20. The other two modules also lowered the signal, but not by much.

I'll keep testing and report back.

Barry

If you want that SignaLinc Repeater, shoot me an email via the board and I'll sell it to you cheap. I only have like 2 X10 devices that I use and I dont use the repeater anymore.

Comment

If you want that SignaLinc Repeater, shoot me an email via the board and I'll sell it to you cheap. I only have like 2 X10 devices that I use and I dont use the repeater anymore.
                Thanks, but I have found part of the problem. The coupler installed 15 years ago was wired on the same phase! Still didn't solve the problem with the drive alert, and I've found a couple of signal suckers that I need to replace/filter. The one Z-wave module, a surge protector and my HP laptop power brick.

Barry

Comment

Problem solved

Thanks to Jeff at http://jvde.us/xtb_index.htm and his XTBM meter I found the problems. The major problem was that when I installed the coupler 15 years ago, I had it on the same phase. Can't believe I did that and would never have found it without the meter. I did also find the one Z-wave module that is now on a filter, along with a surge protector and a HP laptop power supply that were sucking signals.

I've ordered Jeff's coupler and will install it tomorrow (correctly!). I feel like I have a new system. I'll continue to install Z-wave, but will also continue to use my trusty X-10 system.

Thanks,
                  Barry

Comment

I recently purchased a bunch of Jasco/Zwave appliance and lamp modules when i found them on sale at Radio Shack....
                    these were replacing Insteon Icon appliance lamp modules..

After installation.. i was having trouble with some X10 powerline issues..

I spent a few hours.. and if i unplug all the Jasco Z-wave modules on the circuit X10 returns to working fine..

So.. i guess i can:
                    a) put a filter on each of the Jasco modules..
                    or
                    b) Figure out what to replace my "Maxi Controller" with.

Is there an RF (I have great X10 RF with the ACRF setup).. or a different protocol (zwave?) replacement for the traditional MAXI controller?

I don't want to use palmpads.. they don't look as good as the old Maxi.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                    Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

I have heard that a few Z-Wave devices tend to absorb the X-10 powerline signal, but yours is the first that identifies the brand. I also run a system with both X-10 and Z-Wave, but have not found any absorption of the X-10 signal. If you intend to keep both X-10 and Z-Wave devices, I would recommend filtering the devices, especially with the low prices of the XPPF filters. http://www.thex10shop.com/product/x1...-filter-module The only disadvantage of this is the right angle form factor which may prevent plugging a Z-Wave module directly into a filter while the filter is plugged into a wall outlet.
                      Last edited by BobT; May 14, 2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I found only 1 module that was causing a problem and have a filter on it. You might try adding them back one at a time. You may not need to filter all of them. If you are going to keep the X-10, I'd highly recommend Jeff's meter and coupler/repeater.

Barry

Comment

I had no idea that the filters were that reasonably priced... I'll grab a couple and try that..

Thanks for the tip!
                          Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Just an FYI...

I purchased a couple of the Z-wave GE 3-way Dimmer Switches since Insteon's solution was that I had to buy two controllable switches at a high cost...

Now that these are installed, none of my old X10 modules are working.

The Front Porch light I have on an Insteon Relay On/Off Switch works with X10 control, but that's it...

As a matter of fact I cannot get the Insteon to work on that switch, only able to get the X10 to work on it...

Ahhhh why is this all not as straight forward as the old X10 days :-)

Comment

Figured it all out... Z-wave, Insteon, and X10 all working together now...

Just not getting consistent / reliable performance out of Homeseer to control my Insteon units, but that's for another thread...

Just glad I like a challenge or I would have tossed the hole thing out the window... Working fine one week, next strange things are happening... Gremlins? Possible... Hmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X