This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest in Android Plugin?

I am considering development of a commercial Android plugin and would like to gauge interest before I invest more time into this. Here are my thoughts so far...
    • Control the android device from HomeSeer...
    • Set screen timeout so that you can turn off the screen at pre-determined time of the day.
    • Set brightness level
    • Launch a program
    • Launch a Tasker activity
    • Send notifications from device to HomeSeer
    • Battery Level
    • Charging Status
    • Incoming call notification (with name and number)
    • Incoming SMS notification (with name, number and message)
    • Send any message from via 3rd party plugin integration with Tasker. This can be very powerful; Send lat/lon based on event. Send messaged based on being near wifi AP -- Home/Away, etc.

This is quite a bit of development and would like to get an idea before I invest too much time into this.
    - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel

I like the look and speed I get with the android touch from H/S, but there are definitely some short coming with that client that will not be fixed or updated anytime soon if at all. Will your UI look nice? will it support flash and html embedded in the app?
    John

Comment

yes, if I buy there.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybwis View Post
        I like the look and speed I get with the android touch from H/S, but there are definitely some short coming with that client that will not be fixed or updated anytime soon if at all. Will your UI look nice? will it support flash and html embedded in the app?
        This is not another UI. This is a separate app to do what is mentioned above. Although, the thought has crossed my mind to write a replacement for HSTouch so that I could fix the things that aren't working as well as enhancements that we would like. However, realistically, that is more time that I have now. Most of what drew me to HS was HSTouch. If I ever did rewrite this, I'd have to think about what I am getting out of it.
        - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
        Web Site
        YouTube Channel

Comment

bump
          - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
          Web Site
          YouTube Channel

Comment

Would the call & SMS notification be notifying HS of the activity on the device? Would it be realtime, and functional w/out wifi? I'd like to see more on this feature set, like the possibility of keeping track of phone calls/txts on my kids' phone (building sort of a "last X" calls or last X messages"). I'd also like to be able to trigger an event based on this, like if a certain # calls my cell phone, trigger a HS event.

Could HS be used to control the handset via tasker? like, for instance, my wife has a tendency to leave her phone on silent mode after she gets out of class or meetings or whatever, forgetting to turn the sound back on. Then i'm trying to call her to remind her to pick up steaks for a BBQ we're doing this evening...but she's not answering! Could I go into HS (maybe via a button on my TS) and have HS turn her phone volume on? if so...COUNT ME IN!

Ian
            Plugins:
            BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
              Could HS be used to control the handset via tasker? like, for instance, my wife has a tendency to leave her phone on silent mode after she gets out of class or meetings or whatever, forgetting to turn the sound back on. Then i'm trying to call her to remind her to pick up steaks for a BBQ we're doing this evening...but she's not answering! Could I go into HS (maybe via a button on my TS) and have HS turn her phone volume on? if so...COUNT ME IN!

Ian
              I loaded an android app on my son's phone (cant recall the name off-hand) that makes his phone ring when MY number calls his phone - regardless if the handset is on silent or not. You might search the market for some keywords like "ringer on" or something to that effect.
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

That's actually a really good idea for putting on my son's phone. maybe not so much for my wife though...I'd be in the dog house if i called when she had it silenced in a meeting. I think for my own personal safety it would need to be something I manual control on an as needed basis w/her...not a "no matter what ring every time i call" sort of thing - but like i said, that would be good for my son's phone!

Ian
                Plugins:
                BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Yeah, my kid is a little more forgetful than my wife! It's worked out pretty well so far...
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                    Would the call & SMS notification be notifying HS of the activity on the device? Would it be realtime, and functional w/out wifi? I'd like to see more on this feature set, like the possibility of keeping track of phone calls/txts on my kids' phone (building sort of a "last X" calls or last X messages"). I'd also like to be able to trigger an event based on this, like if a certain # calls my cell phone, trigger a HS event.

Ian
                    My hope would be to to allow the connectivity on wifi or cellular. I do have this now, but the challenge is making it robust. My plan was/is to allow for a few modes. One that would try to maintain a constant connectivity. I use this now. Another would be a mode where it would connect only when an event happened on the phone. I had been looking to pushing activities to the phone on-demand.

Right now it can trigger a script when calls, sms, or tasker activity come in. You can have it do whatever you want at that point. Right now, I just have it announce. You could do what you want from this script fairly easily. If there was general appeal to this, it would be possible to build more of this in.

Your wife can do what she needs with Tasker only. I use Tasker now to put my phone in vibrate mode and take it out when I am out of a meeting. This is based on my calendar. I think that I got the how-to from the Tasker wiki, but if you need help setting that up, let me know.
                    - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                    Web Site
                    YouTube Channel

Comment

Did you ever decide to go ahead with this or not?

Ian

Originally posted by tpchristian View Post
                      My hope would be to to allow the connectivity on wifi or cellular. I do have this now, but the challenge is making it robust. My plan was/is to allow for a few modes. One that would try to maintain a constant connectivity. I use this now. Another would be a mode where it would connect only when an event happened on the phone. I had been looking to pushing activities to the phone on-demand.

Right now it can trigger a script when calls, sms, or tasker activity come in. You can have it do whatever you want at that point. Right now, I just have it announce. You could do what you want from this script fairly easily. If there was general appeal to this, it would be possible to build more of this in.

Your wife can do what she needs with Tasker only. I use Tasker now to put my phone in vibrate mode and take it out when I am out of a meeting. This is based on my calendar. I think that I got the how-to from the Tasker wiki, but if you need help setting that up, let me know.
                      Plugins:

Comment

No, I did not. There didn't seem to be interest based on this thread.
                        - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                        Web Site
                        YouTube Channel

Comment

i'm very interesting !
                          i need plugin hstouch or homeseer for TASKER

For example in tasker i can :
                          when i arrive at home , open lights + tv ....

i'm interesting .......

Comment

I love Tasker, my only problem is my phone is not Rooted. I tried to Root it myself and failed. I went to my friendly computer repair store but they do not root phones and I do not know a friend who can do it for me. It is a Verizon ThunderBolt. So I can get Tasker to start an application but not turn one off because the phone is not rooted.

However that has not stopped me from using Tasker. I have it automatically send a text message for any text messages I receive while I am driving sending them a text saying if they really need me to call me, otherwise, I will respond when I reach my destination. It also turns the ringer off and the volume off at 11:30 each night till 8:00 AM in the morning. It will auto turn on the music when I place a headset into the phone.

I too have been wondering how I could integrate it into HomeSeer. Everyone signs into the house with an X10 code and the house responds accordingly. I have been thinking about maybe changing that to when the phone see's the house WiFi and auto sign them in.

I would like to see some integration of Tasker into HomeSeer. It is a very powerful Android programming feature which has lots of potential. I have been having a very good time playing with Tasker. It sometimes takes me several times before I get it right, but it sure is a neat and powerful Android tool. I am not much of a programmer but would certainty give my moral support to the effort and whatever else I could contribute. Gary in Atlanta

Comment

The biggest thing for integration, is for HS to add intents to the HST code. Tasker can already do most things. And by HS adding intents, when things go wonky, it's not totally on them to fix (i.e. if they made a HST plugin for Tasker it would be totally on them).

Using some "long haul" integration, you can have tasker tell the HS server to perform some action, which then would link all the way BACK to your phone. Say to open a page, press a button, etc.

Personally, I just have Tasker connect to a webserver and fire commands to HS that way. Without HST staying open all the time, it's kind of become a fad for me. I'd love to get it going again, but it takes too long to load from UNLOADED (Android's fault). Just waiting on HS3, so the team can free up a bit to look into this.

Rupp, not sure you will see this one, but were you able to ping Rich about this?

--Dan
                              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X