Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XTB-232 (replacement for the CM11a)

Hi All,

I have been testing a CM11a replacement designed by Jeff Volp (maker of the XTB line of power line interfaces for Stargate) and would like to let everyone know that we now have a viable replacement for the CM11a.

I have been using a Stargate for my home automation project but with the inevitable death of Stargate on the horizon, I decided to start looking for an alternative. I chose Homeseer and am really happy with it.

While Z-Wave is implemented well in Homeseer, I couldn't find a decent power line interface for my existing X-10 modules. I contacted Jeff to ask if I could use my XTB-IIR. Unfortunately, the answer was no BUT he told me that he was working on a new interface that would do what I was looking for. He asked if I would beta test it and the rest is history.

I connected it to Homeseer and then the power line. I told Homeseer that I was using a CM11a and that was it. I was able to control my X-10 modules with Homeseer.

If you are looking for an X-10 power line interface that works, contact Jeff Volp (I think he is a member here on the forum). I don't know when the XTB-232 is coming out but I think you'll be pleased on how well it works.

Does this device support the X10 extended commands? There's also the TI-103 that is a good replacement for the CM11A as well.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

It supports the extended command protocol as defined in the CM11A spec.

Jeff

Comment

Does it support the same RS-232 interface protocol with the PC as the CM11A so that it is a direct replacement or is it like others that have their own protocol with the host?

Comment

The intent was to support the CM11A "real time" protocol so it can be a seamless replacement for PC-based automation systems that now use the CM11A as the powerline interface. It does not include any CM11A downloaded controller functions, such as scheduled events or macros.

Jeff

Comment

Sounds good, what is the projected price? Is it as fast or faster than the CM11a?
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Both the CM11A and the XTB-232 respond essentially within milliseconds. What takes the time for all X10 control functions is sending the actual command over the powerline. There is really nothing that can be done to speed that up while adhering to the X10 protocol.

It is premature to give an final price because I don't have the cost of the custom machined case yet. My target is $59 for the kit and $89 for the assembled unit. If interested, a photo of my prototype is available here: http://jvde.us/info/XTB-232_prototype_376.jpg

(The production PCB will be solder masked and silk screened.)

Jeff

Comment

Is the signal strength/output into the powerline the same or have you increased it?
                --------------------------------------------------
                **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Like the other XTB units, the XTB-232 delivers a much stronger signal than other X10 transmitters.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JeffVolp View Post
                    Like the other XTB units, the XTB-232 delivers a much stronger signal than other X10 transmitters.
                    EXCELLENT feature!!
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

I been using the XTB with the HAI X-10 PIM (TW-523) for many years. Never had an issue with it.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

When I switched to the XTB-IIR as the X10 power line interface for my Stargate, the overall performance of all of my X10 devices improved dramatically. I can now use X10 on any circuit, even those where I had isolated my troublesome noise sources! I predict that this new interface will give new life to X10.

As a side observation, I also was delighted with the workmanship and just flat out beauty of the device itself. It is clear that Jeff takes great pride in his products. I am also impressed with Jeff's response to requests for help and advice, and the high level of his background knowledge, both general and specific.

The most difficult part will be waiting for product availability. It sounds like there is additional custom manufacturing work to be done before the new device is available for sale.
                        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Well.. it is nice to see that someone still cares/supports X-10. While I currently have a TI-103, I'll be considering purchasing this product as a seconady should the TI die. For me, my X-10 is very reliable. My RCSX16B T-stat works 100% reliably, automatically reports changes and has been doing so for 6 years now. No need to poll...
                          I control my pool pump 70 feet away from my TI-103 without issue as well.
                          I know X-10 is never as fast as Z-wave or Insteon, but for me, I don't mind waiting 200 ms when I turn the lights on/off. Afterall, the price in doing so is right!

I agree with Uncle Michael, this will give new life to X-10.

Robert
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                            The most difficult part will be waiting for product availability. It sounds like there is additional custom manufacturing work to be done before the new device is available for sale.
                            First, I wanted to thank you for the feedback.

The firmware is pretty much completed. I'm currently looking at some minor re-layout to squeeze it into a thinner Polycase, and have the LED in a better position near the center of the PCB.

There are two irons in the fire right now - a Pro version of the XTBM now that the larger PIC is available, and this. The plan is to have both of them available by the fall.

Thank you for your interest.

Jeff

Comment

I might be interested too.

Comment

Working...
                              X