Motion Sensor device condition failing to allow event to trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Sensor device condition failing to allow event to trigger

Hello, I have an event that triggers on a hallway security device from my JDS Stargate system.

The event was triggering often because our very fat cat would set off the hallway motion sensor causing the security device to trigger.

So I wanted to add a condition that required the 2420 motion sensors in each of the kids' rooms to be ON before the event trigger would be valid. (they are set to remain on for a few minutes, so that by the time a kid would get into the hallway, they are still on)

There are no predefined ISY condition groups applicable to motion sensors, so I used the standard device condition. It does not work. Even if the motion sensor shows status ON in Homeseer (and on the ISY of course), the event will not trigger.

I could create a program in the ISY to be true when a motion sensor is on, but that seems like a band-aid.

Coudl you create a device condition type for motion sensors so that I can use their status in conditions? Is there some way to make the regular device condition work - I don't understand why you have special ISY conditions for everything else? Is there a problem making Homeseer recognize the states of the ISY devices?

For example, instead of using ISY Dimmer Condition, can I just use "device" condition and select the ISY dimmer device? Are there rules for when to use one type of condition over the other?

Thanks,

Tim

I have created a program that is true when the motion sensor is ON, and changed the event condition to include the program status "true" rather than the motion sensor ON. It works. So I have a workaround. . but should I need one?

Also, when I select a motion sensor as a device, the options come up as OFF, 1%, 2%, 3%. . . 99%, ON which seems to be what you would expect for a dimmer. Perhaps you just need to define it as an ON/OFF device within Homeseer.
    Last edited by timlacey; November 18, 2011, 11:46 AM.

Hi Tim,

Originally posted by timlacey View Post
    There no ISY conditions applicable to motion sensors, so I used the standard device condition. It does not work. Even if the motion sensor shows status ON in Homeseer (and on the ISY of course), the event will not trigger.

I could create a program in the ISY to be true when a motion sensor is on, but that seems like a band-aid.

Coudl you create a device condition type for motion sensors so that I can use their status in conditions? Is there some way to make the regular device condition work - I don't understand why you have special ISY conditions for everything else? Is there a problem making Homeseer recognize the states of the ISY devices?

For example, instead of using ISY Dimmer Condition, can I just use "device" condition and select the ISY dimmer device? Are there rules for when to use one type of condition over the other?
    There's no particular reason why the motion sensors don't have custom trigger conditions. Probably just because no one has asked before now.

The dimmer/relay devices are a close match to a "standard" HomeSeer device model so any custom triggers are also very close to the standard one.

Many of the ISY plug-in triggers are triggered when the plug-in receives a message from the ISY instead of being based on the HomeSeer device status.

For devices where the status aligns with the status definitions in HomeSeer, On/Off/Dim/unknown are the only real standard status values in HomeSeer, the plug-in devices should be conforming.

So for the motion sensor, it should be updating the HomeSeer device status correctly. If it's not, then that's a bug. If you check the HomeSeer device status by looking at the device's "additional information" in the web interface does it follow the actual on/off state of the motion sensor?

I'll do some experiments too but it sounds like a bug somewhere in the plug-in.
    --
    Bob Paauwe
    ISYInsteon Plug-in
    http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

When there has been no motion, I see:
      ref ID: 9448
      Status 3 = OFF
      Value 0 = "Off"
      String
      Supports Status True
      Dimmable False
      Interface ISY Insteon
      Misc Settings Status Only, Status Set Notify

When there is motion, Status changes to "2 = ON" and Value changes to 255
      I think Value probably needs to change to 255 = "On" ? or simply 100 for an ON/OFF device being ON?

That's my guess, but hopefully you would know best.
      I notice that my bathroom relay switch has an additional Misc Settings of ON/Off Only
      I also notice that it has the Value of 0, but not "0 = "off"", but it shows a value of 100 when on, not 255.

Thanks,

Tim

While we're at it, my DUSK/DAWN sensors don't report a status on the STATUS page in Homeseer. It shows updated at 8:12am, but the status is blank.
      When I go to addl. info, it says status "2="ON"" and value of 255
      I have noticed erratic reporting of motion sensor statuses from the Homeseer status pages, but it didn't bother me, since I don't really use those pages much.

I just checked and yes, when the motion sensor is set ON, the status page shows a blank where status should be. So it is a bug, and likely simple to fix too. The best kind of bug.

Comment

When there has been no motion, I see:
        ref ID: 9448
        Status 3 = OFF
        Value 0 = "Off"
        String
        Supports Status True
        Dimmable False
        Interface ISY Insteon
        Misc Settings Status Only, Status Set Notify

When there is motion, Status changes to "2 = ON" and Value changes to 255
        I think Value probably needs to change to 255 = "On" ? or simply 100 for an ON/OFF device being ON?

That's my guess, but hopefully you would know best.
        I notice that my bathroom relay switch has an additional Misc Settings of ON/Off Only
        I also notice that it has the Value of 0, but not "0 = "off"", but it shows a value of 100 when on, not 255.
        Yes, it should show 255 = "On". That is what mine are doing. The HomeSeer definition that the plug-in uses for these types of devices has changed recently (sometime between 1.0.3.0 and 1.0.3.7 I don't remember exactly). The plug-in doesn't automatically update the HomeSeer record when this happens. I make you do it manually Go to the plug-in's configuration page and click on the "Update Device Types" button.

I was able to create a device condition using the motion detector device and it is triggering the action I set up.

Let me know if this helps.
        --
        Bob Paauwe
        ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Thanks. It does indeed show 255 = "on" now, and that did the trick!

It makes sense that the change happened recently because it used to work.

You may want to add a note to your upgrade instructions to go in and apply changes if any devices are not responding properly.

Tim
          Last edited by timlacey; November 19, 2011, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks. It does indeed show 255 = "on" now, and that did the trick!

It makes sense that the change happened somewhere since 1.3.x.x because it used to work.

You may want to add a note to your upgrade instructions to go in and apply changes if any devices are not responding properly.

Tim
            Great! I'm glad it was that simple. I thought I did have a note about it, but maybe only mentioned it for the specific version.

I think a better solution is to make it happen automatically when needed so I'll have to think about that some.
            --
            Bob Paauwe
            ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Working...
            X