www.homeseer.com  

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Z-Wave General Discussion

Z-Wave General Discussion Discussions relating to the Z-Wave automation support in HomeSeer.

Old January 29th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Seer Deluxe

Default Still no z-wave smoke detectors or CO detectors?

Strange that nobody seems to have made these things yet in the US. Seems like this would be a no-brainer to add to a Z-wave network -- you could monitor alarm triggers, trigger remote alerts if the alarms are tripped, monitor battery levels, etc.

What am I missing here? Why has nobody done this? I saw one or two that supposedly were made for the EU version of z-wave, but still nothing in the US?
Old January 30th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Seer

My guess would be that most manufacturers want to avoid the liability of producing a life safety device that could get them sued into oblivion.
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:09 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcham View Post
My guess would be that most manufacturers want to avoid the liability of producing a life safety device that could get them sued into oblivion.
Other companies make regular smoke alarms. :shrug:

Why not just build Zwave features into a regular one?
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Seer Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Strange that nobody seems to have made these things yet in the US. Seems like this would be a no-brainer to add to a Z-wave network -- you could monitor alarm triggers, trigger remote alerts if the alarms are tripped, monitor battery levels, etc.

What am I missing here? Why has nobody done this? I saw one or two that supposedly were made for the EU version of z-wave, but still nothing in the US?

I thought 2GIG made zwave smoke and CO2 devices???

-Ray

HS ServerG4: HS2.5.0.23, Foxconn (Atom 510)-4Gb-Win7Pro32b-2.5" HD hot swap-WHS backup
Hardware: CM111A, W800USB, ZStick2, CS WiFi, Rain8NetPro
Plugins: mcsSprinklersPro, ACRF2, HAI, tstat, Ultramon
Video: BlueIris, 4xFoscamIP
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Seer

The 2GIG stuff is deceiving. Their panel supports Z-Wave but doesn't use it for most of their devices (such as the smoke/co detectors.) They look exactly like the Honeywell/Ademco wireless detectors, which may explain why they recently settled a patent infringement suit with Honeywell. It's unclear if the panel is fully compatible with honeywell or not.
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Seer

Does it need to be zwave?

Right now I am doing all you ask with CO/smoke detectors with homeseer, ademco vista plugin, a Honeywell vista 20p security panel, ad2usb, 5800CO co detector, and 5808W3 smoke detector. It can be done now, just not with zwave.
Old February 18th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkme View Post
Does it need to be zwave?

Right now I am doing all you ask with CO/smoke detectors with homeseer, ademco vista plugin, a Honeywell vista 20p security panel, ad2usb, 5800CO co detector, and 5808W3 smoke detector. It can be done now, just not with zwave.
I guess that's doable, but Z-wave devices would just be a whole lot easier.
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Seer Deluxe

I am not sure how the security system smoke detectors work. If they just provide a contact closure when they alarm could you then just use a z-wave door/window contact detection module to accomplish what you want? Does anyone have experience with security system smokes?
HW: Mini-ITX Atom dual core 1.6 GHz (WinXP SP3) | WGL800 | Z-Troller (v1.12) | ELK800 Amp (ELK Echo Speakers) |
Various Intermatic Z-wave modules, many DS10, Hawkeyes
Old February 19th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Seer

I think megatron has the right idea. Wire a zwave contact closure to the bells on the smoke detector. Kinda like people do with doorbells and contact closure devices. I included a thread to something along these lines.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=131631