www.homeseer.com  

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Insteon General Discussion > Insteon PLM Plug-in by Mark Sandler

Insteon PLM Plug-in by Mark Sandler Discussions related to Mark Sandler's 3rd parth plug-in for controlling Insteon devices via Smarthome's PLM interfaces (the 2412 & 2413 series controllers)

Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Seer Deluxe

Default Any way to monitor temperature over INSTEON?

Gents,

I am looking to monitor my freezer in my garage for failures (for failures (usually because someone does not close the door completely). I have both Z-wave and INSTEON, and I am considering the Everspring ST814 Z-wave sensor, but it does not have a remote probe, so I would have to put it inside. The problem with this is the unit would have to be exposed to sub-freezing temperatures, but more importantly, the signal would have to penetrate the metal enclosure, which I think will be a problem. This unit runs on batteries.

Alternatively, I can use the INSTEON freezer kit, which is a binary temp sensor connected to an I/O link. It runs on AC, and I would only get an alarm when the threshold is reached. This of course runs on AC.

Oregon Scientific does have a remote probe thermometer, but I do not have an RFX comm and I am trying to get by without one.

Does anyone know of any other INSTEON temperature monitoring devices (besides thermostats)??

TIA,

BD
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Super Seer

I have one of these Temp Alerts in my attic attached to a I/Olinc. It controls an attic fan. Not fancy, but its been up there in the heat and cold for 10 years and does its job well.

It has a range of 130 to -30 and is a reliable and simple device.

There are 2 sets of contacts in the temp alert so you can measure 2 different points.. You could get the EZIO2x4 or the EZIO6I and get readings from both of them independently.

HA Hardware:
- Insteon: Hub|Access points|EZFloras|Signallinc
- X10|RCS TX15B & TX10B Thermostats
- Server: AMD
E350|1.6ghz x2|6gB|1tB|Win 7 64bit

HomeSeer:

- HS2 Standard 2.5.0.23

- DooStat|Insteon PLM|Snevl Sprinklers
Old July 26th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Seer Deluxe

How about this?
http://www.smarthome.com/2441ZTH/INS...rmostat/p.aspx
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Seer Deluxe

While not intended for straight-up temp measurement, that's not a bad idea! I imagine this only works with the Sage Insteon plug-in (which I have).

For a freezer monitor, I assume I could use the external temp sensor, which states an operating range of -13° to 185°F (-25° to 85°C). Would need to find out what the thermostat can measure.

Thanks!

-BD
Old July 31st, 2012, 04:26 PM
Seer Deluxe

The SimpleHomeNet EZIO8SA and EZIO8T have a built in 1-wire input for use with a DS18B20 temperature sensor. If you don't need this capability immediately, I am working on integrating support for these in a future release of the SimpleHomeNet plugin.
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:34 PM
Seer Deluxe

@hurry: Very interesting! Might be a worthwhile method.

While I got you: how does your plugin work with/next to Mark Sandler's plugin? I assume your plugin registers as an external device and communicates through his plugin?

-BD
Old March 8th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Seer Deluxe

Hurry4it, do you have an answer for that last question from brundog ?

If your ezio8sa supports sensors like this next one, it is very interesting for a project we are starting shortly. Thank you !

http://www.smarthome.com/1526/Automa...-Sensor/p.aspx

http://domobec.com
http://boutique.domobec.com
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Insteon Overlord

The SimpleHomeNet plugin uses the Insteon plugin to communicate with the insteon network. So SimpleHomeNet devices are registered with the SimpleHomeNet plugin not the insteon plm plugin.

hope this helps

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.96
Hardware: Insteon PLM | HAI Omnistat2 | Vista Alarm 20P (soon) | 1-Wire Master Hub (soon)
Plugins: Insteon 3.0.5.0 (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | HAI Omnistat | BLRadar
Platform: Windows 2003 Server, 3.4Ghz, 3GB memory