Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRCS4-MRZ -- adding the load control portion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VRCS4-MRZ -- adding the load control portion.

i've been messing with this for a couple hours, and no luck.

How do you add the onboard switch?
    I've been able to add and access the 4 button scene controller but can't get the switch to add. been able to add lights to groups, and control them from the buttons on the controller.

Just upgraded to z-wave today. so the concepts of it are all new.
    i've got the Z-Stick-S2.
    been able to get lamp and appliance modules installed and working, as well as fan and dimmer switches.

was hoping to use this to fire macros, as the switch is right by the front door, and controls a fluorescent light. I may have to return this, and get a relay switch, and just stick a wireless remote up by the door.

i've read though the following link, and all it says is " follow the button press and hold sequence for putting the controller into the program mode for the switch(es)" and i can't find that anywhere.
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=143182
    Last edited by wes; July 3, 2012, 11:42 AM.

found the solution

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.p...2.html#msg5372

the answer is
    press 1&3 for 5 seconds to pair the controller
    press 2&4 for 5 seconds to pair the switch.

Comment

Load/Switch added as binary (vs as a dimming load)

Took a long time to determine that we needed buttons 2 and 4 to be able to add the switch as a node (thanks wes)

Now, just concerned that the switch (VRCS4-MRZ) was added as a binary switch (i.e., just on or off and not dimming). Is that a limitation of the controller/switch? Defective? I've tried to rescan several times with no luck. I'm wondering if I have to remove the node from the zwave network and then try to add it back in. Before doing that I thought I'd reach out to see if there were other solutions. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by specialk View Post
        Now, just concerned that the switch (VRCS4-MRZ) was added as a binary switch (i.e., just on or off and not dimming). Is that a limitation of the controller/switch? Defective? I've tried to rescan several times with no luck. I'm wondering if I have to remove the node from the zwave network and then try to add it back in. Before doing that I thought I'd reach out to see if there were other solutions. Thoughts?
        Hi SpecialK, as per the specs, it's a switch, not a dimmer, and can be used for incandescent/fluorescent/LED/Motors/etc. The dim function is only for remote zones/devices.

Cheers
        Al
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Hi, I tried the above and keep getting an error in homeseer.

First I took my ztroller on battery up to the switch, tried both key combos and nothing shows up with add device. Then from where my home seer system is, tried to add node through homeseer, it finds one but then fails to add node.

Any suggestions.

thanks

Comment

Hi,

Try doing a delete first in case they have a left over node number assigned to them. Also, do the LEDs turn amber? Once they are amber, hold down the add button and keep holding it down.

Cheers
            Al

Comment

So I tried wiping the switch which restores it to default. I never tried holding the add button on the z-troller, I press it once and it shows searching. The lights on the switch are amber although the z-troller keeps searching and see nothing. Perhaps holding the add button will work, trying tonight.

thanks

Comment

Tried it, holding the add button worked.

thanks

Comment

Sparkman, thank you. That is unfortunate to hear it is only a binary switch, I must have missed that somehow, but saves me time in my next steps. I'll replace with a dimming switch just for that load and then perhaps expand the gang to include this controller or find another closer proximity location where I just need on/off only for the load and install it there. Thanks again for your quick reply and help!

Comment

So I wired this up and every button controlled the load. I hold 2&4, the load comes on as they all turn amber and I'm able to get something on my zstick. Then none of the buttons control the load which is typical from what I gather. Then I hold 1&3, the top light goes amber and I think something goes on my zstick but I'm not positive. Nothing really changes in homeseer when I import. Still only one new node from the time before. I hit a button after the amber also and nothing happens. This is suppose to put the load on a button from what I understand but it doesn't for me. So I have what the screenshot shows in Homeseer and an always on load. Anyone have any help for controlling the load or if this device looks correctly imported to Homeseer?
                    Thanks
                    Attached Files

Comment

It looks correct. Did you program one of the 4 buttons to control the load.

Did you optimize?

One extra step that seemed to fix things for me was mentioned in the instructions by the HS folks. You needed to go into the root device under the z-wave tab and save a blank scene.
                      http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ighlight=vrcs4

Comment

You should also have a z-wave binary switch device which is the device that controls the local load, so maybe try to add that again with the 2&4 buttons. You should also assign it to one of the buttons using the Leviton instructions.

Cheers
                        Al

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

@mpovolo No I can't get a button to control the load, that's my issue. How I think to program it is holding 1&3 and choosing a button after the top light goes amber. As I type this though I did get the load to go off but not back on again. Yes I've re-scanned and optimized a bunch of times. I added a scene and I could control it in HS but not with a button. This is in HS3 by the way. I forgot to mention that in my last post.

@sparkman I've repeated 1&3 and 2&4 a bunch and still no binary switch in HS or consistent load control. I did get a dup device of the above at some point. Unless I can get the load control to work it doesn't matter what I get accomplished with the scenes so I'm going to clean up and return it I think. Also the Leviton instructions are beyond worthless lol.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by homeburgh View Post
                            @sparkman I've repeated 1&3 and 2&4 a bunch and still no binary switch in HS or consistent load control. I did get a dup device of the above at some point. Unless I can get the load control to work it doesn't matter what I get accomplished with the scenes so I'm going to clean up and return it I think. Also the Leviton instructions are beyond worthless lol.
                            Agreed on the Leviton instructions. They're good for wiring it, but useless for adding it to non Leviton controllers. To add the local load to the controller, can you confirm what steps you are following?

Cheers
                            Al

Comment

Sure. I hold 1&3 and the top light goes amber. Then I hit a button to try and assign it. This is the process I gathered from this and other posts. I did get the load to turn off doing this once but it didn't stick to a button. I futzed a little more and never got it back on before I quit. Also no binary switch in homeseer after holding 2&4 with my zstick a bunch of times.

edit:It just dawned on me my designation on the buttons when I talk about them may be wrong or causing confusion. I've been looking at the switch as if the dimmer is 0 and counting up. Sorry if that muddied the waters.
                              Last edited by homeburgh; February 20, 2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X