GC100-12 Setup Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GC100-12 Setup Questions

I moved my question to my a new thread after realizing I might have high-jacked another members topic.

I've got a question regarding IR and the GC-100S.

Recently I bought 5 GC100-12 units of eBay and there at global cache getting tested and firmware updates..

I'm excited and understand how to use the serial over IP, as well the contact switches to control low voltage contacts.

BUT, I'm lost on understanding the capabilities of IR through the GC-100 with HS installed on a media server pc.

My desire and application is that I have several media zones (theater, bedrooms, outdoor lanai, etc...) and all the hardware in a media closet.

Three functions I would like to perform;
    1) To relay all the IR signal from each media zone to its respective hardware device in the media closet.
    2) Have HS monitor IR signals from each media zone so I can create triggers based on status change or demand.
    3 Have HS send IR signals to all devices both in the media closet and the TV's in each media zone.

I plan on allocating a GC-100-12 to each media zone/closet but I'm unsure what IR Receivers and Blasters to use that will meet the above desired uses.

I've tried to search this form and other forms, even called Global Cache but just can't understand how all comes together with HS.

Any help, suggestions, or even better web links or manuals that would educate me would be most appreciated.

Charlie

Below is a Response that I already had received From User: "lhfarm"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response Posted by: lhfarm
    Seer Deluxe

Charlie
    Not sure I can be of much help, but I'm doing pretty much what you want with a Xantech IR distribution system and a Slink-e that will be replaced with the GC-100. The GC-100 is the link between HS and units or actions you are controlling with IR. I'm using Xantech IR receivers in each room, connected to a Xantech 4 zone amp in my media closet. The IR emitters are plugged into the appropriate zone and attached to the front of my equipment. The GC-100 is (will be) attached to the Xantech amp and just acts like another receiver or emitter. Using learned IR codes, I have a number of events used to control the whole house audio. Using the plug-in, I send the code to a device in the selected zone. Or, since I have receivers in each room, along with the device remote, I can control actions directly from the remote. I have not done so, but could have HS "listened" for a remote code from a zone receiver and fire an event(s) when that learned code is received.

In your case, I think the GC-100s will also take the place of my Xantech amp. You will need a GC-100 assigned to each zone, equipped with a GC receiver (GC-RG1) and at least one emitter/blaster (GC-BL2). It also means you will need - for the room receiver - wiring from the room to your media closet. I'm not sure if there are distance limits on the GC receiver wiring. I'd send them a note and ask. The alternative is a mix of Xantech connectors or an amp setup like I have. The room receiver could also be accomplished with iTech wireless equipment, but I've assumed you just want to use the GC-100s.

Hope this helps a little. Feel free to ask questions.
    Barry
    HSPro: 3.0.0.194
    PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
    HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Thanks Barry for the Reply,

Another bit of info regarding my home is that its a 1 story Ranch home with full access to the Attic where all my LAN cables and Network Switches are. I plan on using a GC-100-12 above each Media Zone so the IR cable lengths would be at the most 10-15 foot if not shorter cause the IR Receivers and IR Blasters will be mounted near the ceiling.

So I've learned that I will need to purchase an IR learner from GC so that I can learn and use these codes for HS Actions or HS Triggers.

I understand how HS can monitor and send signals through Software Plugins to trigger events or actions, But where I am lost is with the IR Wiring and How this setup can be used as a IR Repeater.

A) IR Wiring;

Where I'm lost on this is that the GC-100-12 has Six independent IR outputs. So why would you want to spend more money on additional Amps or hardware interfaces (such as Xantech or SpeakerCraft) if the GC-100 has IR ports? (I see by doing so would just turn a $250 dollar GC-100-12 into an expensive Serial Over IP Device)

http://www.globalcache.com/files/doc...G1_distrib.pdf
    Looking at the above link and the photo within it, the picture shows an GC-RG1 and a GC-IRE hoked up to the Serial Port. My question is why would you Not use the IR ports on the GC-100 to connect your IR receivers or IR Emitters? (is the because the GC-100 itself can not communicate IR signals over LAN? and if so what good do those IR ports serve?

In my home I would run CAT 6 cable from my network switch to each GC-100-12 that's over the media room/zone that I will receive or send IR from.
    So that means the IR sensors/blaster wont need to be any great length. I guess my question is how can I reduce the amount of hardware by utilizing the ports on the many GC-100-12s that I have?

B) IR Repeater

This is where I am most lost. How do these setups work as IR Repeaters so that when an IR Remote in a zone is used to change the AVR Devices in a Media Closet?

For an example if I wanted to send IR signal from a handheld remote in a zone like the master bedroom to skip to the next chapter on a DVD, Change a Channel on the Cable Box, etc to the respective hardware component in the Media Closet.

From my understanding only one plugin or software app can use a device at a time, so if that's true can the various HS Plugins Repeat the IR signals from the input receivers to the appropriate IR output (output being either an IR emitter or IR Blaster)

Again thanks for helping my understand this.

Charlie
    PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
    HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Charlie,
      I shouldn't have mucked my response by including my setup. The Slink-e/Xantech system has been in place for 15 years! So you may not need additional hardware. The multiple GC-100s would replace my setup. However, because I did have a system in place, I'm just using one GC-100-12 (from the same ebay seller) to replace the Slink-e as the HS interface.

I'm hoping someone with GC-100 experience will jump in.

Barry

Comment

Thanks Barry.

I might can understand the need for additional hardware like u have (I.e. SpeakerCraft & Xantech) IF u use the IR amp for distribution over long distance in the case where someone might be using 1 amp for an entire home.

But being I have bought 5 GC-100-12 with the purchase price less than one amp, I don't think its common to run that many GC 100s due to their retail price of 250 dollars.

I'm still lost with the two points I made in the previous post and am gonna call Global Cache again but I feel their limited with info about a HomeSeer application.

Any other input, advices, or references anyone can suggest ?

Thanks

Charlie

Comment

Re: GC100-12 Setup Questions

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
          Thanks Barry.

I might can understand the need for additional hardware like u have (I.e. SpeakerCraft & Xantech) IF u use the IR amp for distribution over long distance in the case where someone might be using 1 amp for an entire home.

But being I have bought 5 GC-100-12 with the purchase price less than one amp, I don't think its common to run that many GC 100s due to their retail price of 250 dollars.

I'm still lost with the two points I made in the previous post and am gonna call Global Cache again but I feel their limited with info about a HomeSeer application.

Any other input, advices, or references anyone can suggest ?

Thanks

Charlie
          Charlie, I too use a Xantech (791-44) block connected to my Global Cache. The IR input options on the GC-100 can get costly as you'll need to by thier GC-IRE network adaptor and thier GC-RG1 Receiver for each GC-100 to accept incoming IR codes and it ties up 1 serial port in the process. The 6 ports on the GC-100 are for IR [out] and sensor [in] but not IR in. This is where any Xantech block makes a good mate with the GC-100's.

You would have to buy Global Cache's adaptor(s) (GC-CGX | GC-CXG) to connect the 2 units but this can give you more options for IR blasting as well as free up GC100 ports for sensor in or other zones directly out of the global cache. You have many GC100-12's so this may not be an issue but it's flexible. Also Xantech receivers can be wired in parallel to a single Xantech block so that's helpful for the "IR IN" portion of your room zones.

Mark

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Thanks for the Reply Mark.

I called Global Cache today and they told me that I would have to use the GC-IRE network adapter and thier GC-RG1 Receiver to receive incoming IR, just as you exactly said above. BUT I can totally understand your cost savings point but trying to group together IR inputs by using an Third Party Amp such as the Xantech or SpeakerCraft. (I can already think of three different media rooms/zones that could share 1 IR Amp saving me money while freeing up serial ports)

On another Note, When I was talking with the Rep from Global Cache about using the GC-100s with the GC IR emitters & receivers to do IR Repeating or Pass-through, He told me that it was theoretical possible using software. He did say that only one software app/plugin can communicate with the GC at a time (I know I asked someone on this board previously about this and have forgotten if that is one software app/plugin per a port on the GC100 or one software app/plugin per a GC-100 as a whole unit. I don't think that Thread is still around..)

So I looked to Homeseer and gave them a call to ask about about plugins and they didn't think that it could be done with the HS GC Plugin. Also I had asked about the creating an event for each IR Command so that the Trigger would be when an IR command was received from an Media Zone, the Action would be to Blast that IR Command out to the Media Closet, thus creating a Pass-though. But he didn't seem to think that would work either. Now my knowledge is not as great as theirs, but I think the later question would be possible, but rather labor intensive to create SO many events.

So let me ask you guys are using this equipment for so many years.

How can you do IR Pass-through/Repeating so that I can place all my AV equipment in my Media Closet that supplies all the media zones yet still maintain IR controls?

Thanks

Charlie

Later Tonight I plan to download the GC-100 plugins (HS version & UltraGCIR version) and try playing with it so I can get a better feel for it even though my GC-100s have not arrived.

Comment

Yeah, I have the GC-IRE/RG1 adaptors and could never get them to work with HS. I should have mentioned that earlier.

Anyway, pass-through to media closet. If you plan to use IR commands to run events (like turning on lights) then I don't think you'll have much luck with the HS GC plugin but if you just want to control your equipment remotely - by both a remote-control & HS control back to the media room then that's do-able, that's how I have my system setup. I have all my equipment in the cellar in a rack where the GC100's and Xantech gear also reside. I have Xantech (in-wall) receivers mounted in the ceilings which all run back to the connecting block downstairs. The signals are then blasted out of the Xantech to the equipment by either mounting a single emitter in front of all the gear or mounting stick-on emitters on each piece of equipment - pretty straight forward.

So all you need now is the HS portion to tie in. That's where the GC-CGX adaptor comes in. You can connect it from any IR port of the GC100 to the "IN" port on a Xantech/Speaker Craft block. Now any HS IR command(s) you initiate will blast out of the GC100 to the Xantech and out to your existing emitter(s).

Seeming that you have a full arsenal of GC100's you can feasibly skip the GC-CGX adaptor and just run more emitters out of the GC100's to the equipment - redundancy and possible interference but it will work. If you plan to use just one emitter mounted in front of all your equipment, then Xantech makes a simple emitter with 2 -1/8" jacks split into a single emitter diode protected for interference. There are many ways and options to setup your IR network. I'm sure you'll find what works best as you begin the process.

Mark

Comment

Ok, So I have read everything from the start of this thread several times and am getting a grip on IR setup. Also I started to read the Xantech Product manual. http://www.xantech.com/products/soft...ALOG-WEB_b.pdf

From what I understand in your last post is that with a IR Repeater System its done solely with an fully independent IR setup such as Xantech. HS would tie into the Xantech system to Monitor for IR signal (for HS Event Trigger Conditions) OR Emit IR signals (for HS Event Actions)

The GC100s are able to Emit or Receive IR signals for the purpose of HS Logical Events (Trigger & Actions) BUT would Not be able to do a Pass-through/Repeater.

Do I have the above info correct?

Tonight I'll be reading over more the Xantech product pages and watch youtube videos so I can get a design idea setup on my particular application and home.

Comment

So after looking more into the Xantech system I feel as if I've been able to get my head around how this system setup will work.

I'm sure that some of what I cover below is basic and known but I'm going to spell it out to help anyone else that's just starting out like I was two weeks ago and prevent the extra work to understand a IR integration with HS..

Monday I plan to call Xantech and confirm the questions below but I would like your unbiased opinions and experience with HS interface.

Connecting Blocks;

First I would have to build an Independent IR repeater system with the Xantech. There were 3 Connecting Block models that caught my eye,

1) 78944 -->> One Zone Four Source Connecting Block
                  2) CB60 -->> One Zone Six Source Quick Connect Connecting Block
                  3) 79520 -->> Four Zone Ten Source Amplified Connecting Block

Looking at models 78944 & CB60 there seems to be a difference in the resistance of IR outputs ( 470-Ohm Vs. 100-Ohm resistor per emitter port).
                  Simple Ohms law would suggest this would impact the IR strengh of the IR emitter, Is this true and whats anyone's experience?

Also I was looking at the 79520 that would be able to emit IR to a designated zone. This would be handy as if you had LIKE equipment in different rooms you would be able to send IR to exact like equipment that you choose. In my case this would be the LCD screens & Sound bars that are all made from the same companies. But I see a downside to this setup with an HS Intergration. Homeseer, Homeseer PLugins, or the GC100s would not be able to designate its IR to the specific zone.

So it looks like models 78944 & CB60 would be choice (plus there a lesser cost) to build the base IR repeater system with. The IR inputs from each Zone can be parallel connected (at least it can on the 78944) reducing the need for further expansion blocks. I doubt there is any Signal Priority Arbitration, but really whats the odds of users in each zone using remotes a the exact mirco second.

HS Integration;

First I would need a GC-IRL IR Learner to log all the IR signals to use for HS Actions & Triggers

For Input Signal into HS Triggers I would need to run a GC-CXG from the emitter output on the Xantech block to a GC-IRE IR Extender that's connected on the Serial Port of the GC-100. The only downfall to using this connection with HS would be that I could not use IR signals from equipment that had multiple models on the system because HS Triggers would not know what zone was calling for that demand.
                  Cheap Solution: Never buy like equipment that shared the same IR codes
                  Expensive Solution: Buy a GC-CXG & GC-IRE for each zone and have enough serial ports to support the setup

For Output IR signal from HS Actions I would need a GC-IRE to go from the GC100 IR output to the Xantech IR Input, but this is something I wont use due to my multiple pieces of equipment (LCD screens) that need to be HS controlled independently. For HS IR Output I would use the IR ports on the GC100s with a high powered blasters mounted in each zone to allow HS to control each zone independently.

Emitters & Receivers;

Seems to be many options here and personally I like clean, sleek, and hidden.

Xantech Block outputs- I like the idea of the Dual Designer Emitter. One of these could be glued to the cabinet door in media cabinet. It has two emitters that could be mounted at different heights to ensure IR coverage while reducing the use of IR outputs on the Xantech Block.

Xantech Block Inputs - The DL85 LCD/CFL Proof Dinky Link IR Receiver has to be the cleanest looking reciever but it comes with a bit of a price tag. But the Pros are it can be 80 foot away from the IR Block.

Theres also the ML85 LCD/CFL Proof Micro Link IR Receiver but to make it look clean you would have to install in a speaker box, cabnet, or somewhere it would blend in. I don't think this would look good if you were to mount it in the wall where it is all by itself as it would be an eyesore.

GC-100 IR Output for HS Actions - Are you able to run any IR blaster from the GC100 ports? I thought I recall reading or hearing that you could only use the GC-BL2 IR Blaster? Need further input on this/...

Did I get anything wrong from above?

What other suggestions do folks have to add?

Thanks for the help.

Charlie

Comment

Can you feel your wallet getting lighter? :-\

You covered plenty of hardware and basically depending on your in/out needs you should be fine with most of those options. However, one consideration: if you're using newer equipment such as the AT&T U-Verse boxes or some newer Direct TV boxes, these devices use a newer high speed Multi-Media Code format known as RC-MM. This only effects receivers not the blasters. If you buy receivers that don't support this newer format but have equipment using it, you'll drive yourself mad troubleshooting! Niles actually has a good video that better explains this: http://www.nilesaudio.com/media/ir.php ( Introducing the Niles 20 Series IR Sensors).

I had to upgrade my Xantech in-wall receivers with Xantech's newer model WL-85 and they're not cheap either but they're hidden and clean and work great with my U-Verse STB.

For your blasting needs for each zone, you can mount an in wall blaster and connect it to the Xantech block in the media closet. I.E., in my living room I have a wall mounted TV with a sound bar below it and I didn't want to stick emitters on the front of each one so I took a simple blaster and basically retro-fitted it into a single gang box in the ceiling and aimed it down to the TV and sound bar - saved a few bucks too! For this application you'll use the 100 ohm output on the Xantech block for high-output. Now with the GC-CGX connected HS will also blast to that TV/SoundBar.

On other thing to consider, you keep mentioning triggering via IR commands. I've never had the need to do so although it can be cool to use an old remote and send IR commands to trigger events. If that's your goal, you may want to consider the UltraJones GCIR plugin. I haven't used it (as I said earlier no need to trigger via IR) but I believe you can do this with this plugin. I don't think you'll have much luck with the HS plugin for this. So if you're just getting started you may want to save yourself the aggravation if you have plans to run events via IR.

Mark

Comment

Here is a spreadsheet that I made of cost avgs

Those Niles IR Receivers sure do hit up the pocket book. Everything else is well within reason considering what it does. Sure this IR system cost but its better than buying devices for each room or media zone. I can centrally place all the hardware and share the source to each zone while using HS to control with events and such.

Thats just the feed back from your experiences that I'm looking for. Thanks for letting me know about the new IR Code. Also you confirmed what I was asking in my previous post about the 100 Ohm model putting out more power.

While those couple device examples that you listed using this new IR protocol, I don't think I would every use but I wonder if that's something the Industry as a whole will slowly adopt. (like VHS to CD to DVD to now BluRay...).

The reason I will hook up the IR Blasters to the GC100 IR outputs in each media room, is cause I have 4 LCD TVs that are all the same brand. So if I wanted to turn a specific TV On, I would not be able to if the IR was Blasted from the Xantech. But the IR emitters in the media cabinet will be hooked up to the Xantech Block as its the central hub for IR passthru.

With the IR ports on the GC-100, has anyone used an IR Blaster other than the Global Cache GC-BL2 Infrared Blaster? ( i see cheaper IR blaster for 15 dollars on amazon)

Well I am running short on question as I've gotten good grips and a foothold on this set up.

Thanks

Charlie
                      Attached Files

Comment

When I keep talking about IR triggers that could be used for events I was more referring to events or conditions that would exist during the application of that specific IR code. Such as when DVD Pause is blasted then maybe the lights will Dim UP, or anything like that.

Over the last months my main focus has been hardware installing so I can finish my home remodel, I will be bombarded with software, scripts and event creations when the time comes.

One plugin that is very interesting is Sages Media Player and you can find just a few examples of his event ideas on the following page.

http://www.sage-software.com/index.p...n-for-homeseer

Also here is a blog of another member that is using IR event based Actions.

Charlie
                        Last edited by CharlieWayne; January 27, 2013, 03:15 PM. Reason: added more info.

Comment

Sounds like you have a good grip on things. I noticed the Niles ceiling receiver on your spreadsheet. If you're gonna use Xantech blocks I'd recommend buying the Xantech WL85 in-wall receivers and keep it all the same manufacturer. Besides the WL85 is cheaper and works with the new codes.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Comment

GC100 Serial Com Ports

I'm inneed of some help with com port software for the GC100s.

Running devices from the gc100s serial ports is going to need redirector software.

I've found a Global Cache help desk ticket that reccomends a particular software. https://globalcache.zendesk.com/entr...ort-redirector

Here's the direct address. -->>> http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

The one software that I already run for my SENA device wont allow it to interface with the GC device.

Can anyone suggest any other Com Port Redirector Software that will work with the GC100-12?

Thanks

Comment

First, let me say that I only skimmed the prior posts so I may not fully understand your questions. With that said...

I think I'm running a setup like you're explaining. I have a GC-100 and multiple iTach IP2IR devices. I run dinky link IR receivers in all my zones connected to a Xantech connection block (795-20). To get IR codes from HS to my devices, I connect the Global Cache GC-CGX to the GC-100/iTachs and run them into the appropriate zone input on the Xantech block (zone 1/2/3/4 - spliced in with the ir receiver wire for that zone).

To get IR signals from each zone into HS I use a Global Cache GC-IRE connected to the GC-100 serial port and then a GC-CGX connected into the GC-IRE. The GC-CGX then gets connected to a common emitter port on the Xantech block. With this configuration, any IR signal sent into any IR receiver in any zone will be sent to HS. I'm using the UltraGCIR plugin in HomeSeer.

An extra nice feature of the UltraGCIR plugin is it allows you to trigger events based on a specified IR signal being received. For example, in my living room I can push one button on my remote and have it turn off all the lights in the house AND turn off the audio equipment (TV, receiver, cable box, etc).

Hope that helps.
                              Last edited by Looms01; April 20, 2013, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X