www.homeseer.com  

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer > Home Automation Hardware > HomeTroller™

HomeTroller™ Discussions related to the HomeTroller automation controller.

Old May 17th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Seer

Unhappy New HomeTroller S4 trying to add Cumulus

I have installed a new HomeTroller S4 Pro and works great. I have moved from a PC to the HomeTroller and decided to migrate from Wdisplay to Cumulus for my Davis VP2. But,it seems Cumulus can't access the weather station. Has anyone else tried to add Cumulus to a HomeTroller and got it to work? I'm starting to think maybe this is a bad idea. Thanks.

Glenn
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Seer

I am not familiar with the Cumulus software. I have a Davis VP2 and I use Weatherlink and a script to pull data into my HomeTroller S4. The Weatherlink software runs on the HomeTroller just fine. This technique is 100% self-contained and the imported data is available for programing and for use on my touchscreens. This solution was posted here on the forums some time ago and the script can be customized to pull in just about every weather value/variable off the VP2 console. I've got the script set to update every 3 minutes, so the data stays fresh. So far my family and I really like this set-up
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Seer

Smile Cumulus does work on HomeTroller

After many hours of pulling my hair, I solved my own problem. HomeTroller does run Cumulus fine. It seems that the serial port needs to be set to 19200 baudrate. Of course, that bit of info was conveniently left out of the installation guide. Sweet!
Old May 18th, 2013, 02:36 PM
OverSeer

Nah; the Cumulus application along with the Cumulus Davis DLL tells the port to talk at 19200. You shouldn't have to touch the settings in control panel. Are you using a USB to serial device?

That is why there is nothing in the installation guide referring to making this adjustment.

Curious though what would happen if you changed it back the default of 9600 and then let Cumulus set the baud rate if it would still work?

Homeseer User
Old May 18th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Seer

Wink

I am using a serial device, not a USB. Trust me when I say that it would not see my Davis Pro2 until I changed the baud rate manually. Now, I changed the baud rate in the station too. Still, I would not have known that it needed 19200 if I had not read it in the readme.txt file in Cumulus directory. All I'm saying is, if it keeps the program from working, it should say so in the installation guide. Again, the program didn't change the rate from the DLL in the COM port. When I went in to change it to 19200, it was still set to 9600. Being a retired software engineer, I learned years ago that in the real world, programs don't always do what their supposed to. So. Yaha.