Auto Starting HS3 on bootup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Starting HS3 on bootup

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find the actual answer to this question nor find a reliable way to accomplish this.

While there are several ways to autostart HS3, I haven't found one that doesn't "break" the events (simple test is to see if startup.vb fails to find Scheduler.dll on startup (does the same for Event scripts))

Previously I've used the Task Scheduler but that now seems to be what's causing the problem.
    I've also tried the startup folder which won't even start it up.

So what am I missing here?

Before I drag out Proc Mon, etc, hopefully someone has found a way to successfully start HS3 on boot.

Thanks,
    Z

I have a basic HS3 start-up delay application where you place a shortcut in your startup folder and define the delay time via a single command line parameter within the shortcut. Works OK for me.

You can find it within the Homeseer 3 downloads, Jon00 Utilities on my site.
    Jon

Comment

Thanks. I tried a timeout.exe using cmd.exe on to start HS3 but it hung waiting for startup input (ie yes/no). Also tried a delay in a batch file but that didn't seem to work.

Can't find HS3 downloads on your site (jon00.me.uk?)

Thanks,
      Z

Comment

Click on my banner below!
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc
          Executes manually, but Windows 7 doesn't want to start it from the Startup folder for some reason.

Also need to turn off all of the Windows security (UAC) alarms, and then auto login the user
          To be fair, I'm running it on Windows 7 not a server, so that's to be expected.

Running on Linux is looking better and better

Thanks,
          Z
          Odd, it works fine here and I'm running W7 64 bit.. The UAC issue is a matter of choice but I personally turn it off. UAC has been discussed many times before... one thread here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1023890
          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
            The Autologin is built into the OS and doesn't require a separate app. Did you disable UAC?
            it is built in?

when you run this it encrypts the admin pwd instead of leaving it as clear text in the registry...

uac... ummm im on whs v1.. so server 2003 based.. and no uac...

but at work we have windows 7 running with uac off and run autologon and it runs just fine...
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

It would be great if people would post the OS they are using for their workaround. Some of the mentioned solutions do not work for me. I am running HS3 on Windows Home Server 2011 which is based on Windows Server 2008. I tried the startup folder, the group policy editor but it doesn't work. I will give the task manager a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiteman View Post
                It would be great if people would post the OS they are using for their workaround. Some of the mentioned solutions do not work for me. I am running HS3 on Windows Home Server 2011 which is based on Windows Server 2008. I tried the startup folder, the group policy editor but it doesn't work. I will give the task manager a try.
                If you use the taskmanager make sure to mark the checkbox for elevated rights. This eliminated the need for disabling UAC etc. Also make sure that you fil in the text box for start in path on the program window. This should have the path to your HS installation.

For me this works fine on Windows 7 as well as 2008 server. Don't know about 2011. If you'd like I could create an export from my task to xml and post it here (after removing peronal stuff like user etc)

Regards,

Wim
                -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

I recommend to set this up in Task Scheduler in Windows. I've used this in WHS11 and now Windows 2012 Server, works every time. This guide can be used to set this up.

Applications in the startup folder will run until a user logs in the system. So auto logon have to be enabled if the statup folder is to be used.

Comment

RE: - HS3 startup.

Hi Vasrc,
                    I'm running Win7 64 bit with UAC off and shortcut in the startup folder.
                    No problems here with auto starting, I am pretty sure I did not do anything with the windows set up as I am not that clever!
                    Peter
                    Last edited by Pervez2602; July 5, 2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Task Scheduler works

For those of you who had trouble with Task Scheduler (or other launch utils), and had the error with scheduler.dll and scripts not running, the fix is simple:

Just ensure you launch with the current directory rooted to the HS3 directory.

So in Task Scheduler, this is what works for me:

The key is fill in the path for 'Start In' on the action.

Here are the settings I use:
                      Attached Files

Comment

I copied what you show there exactly and now HS3 doesn't start at all. Not even with the errors. To be clear, the path for the "Start In" line should be something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3" correct?
                        Originally posted by rprade
                        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

^^^ Yes, the full directory path to the location where HS3.EXE lives.

In my Win7-32 environment, it's at:
                          "C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\"

Final slash is *required*, which is why your example might not work.

Comment

Using the Task Scheduler is great way to autostart HS3

Thanks for the tips and screens shots of how to set this up.
                            I just switched back from HS3Pro on Linux to Windows, and due to my lack of knowledge on Windows this help was perfect.
                            BTW: running this now on Windows 7 Pro, UAC off, and the task schedules also takes care of logging in now...

Comment

I use Ubuntu and still haven't had an answer on how to auto start on that. Waits for a password.
                              For that reason I'm thinking about moving over to windows.
                              I can auto start the raspberry pi but not Ubuntu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X