Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Last Change" doesn't work. Do I really have to create a timer for each device?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Last Change" doesn't work. Do I really have to create a timer for each device?

In HS2 I had a number of events that used the "has been for at least" condition to switch things on and off after a delay.

In HS3, this condition doesn't work, as the "last change" date is reset every time the event polls the device - ie. at least every minute.

So I now find myself having to create 2 events and a timer for each device.

1. Event that resets a timer every time the device "has a value that just changed"
    2. Event that checks the timer "is more than" and then carries out my action

This is somewhat more difficult than HS2.

Is this just how it is? Or is there a better way of doing it?

Why doesn't "last change" work as its name would suggest?

cheers,

what devices are you using?
    how are you polling? just using the setting in the device properties?

i've got an assortment of z-wave switches, and they all only update the time when the status actually changes, even thought they poll multiple times in between.

Comment

The devices I've tested are xAP inputs (from a Netiom board).

I also have RFXCOM devices and Arduino devices.

If I disable the "has been for at least" event then the "last change" operates correctly.

Comment

I just modified my device view by ungrouping the devices then sorting by "Last Change" in descending order. It looks like every device is updating correctly with regard to actual change in value, except for a couple that are updated by 3rd party plug-ins. By that I mean that binary devices, like motion detectors, light switches, etc. all show last change at the time when they changed from off to on. Same thing with dimmers, Arduino devices (except OneWire), outlets and power control devices.

One thing I did notice is that there are several virtual devices that are updated by script that all show a last change at the last time the script was run, despite the fact that they did not change value. I also remember a problem in one of my plug-ins that was corrected by an update. That plug-in was failing to update the last change time on its devices, despite changing the values. I suppose it is possible for a plug-in to also change the time without changing the status.

I wonder if there is a problem with your xAP plug-in not following the standard practice of updating the time, only when the status changes.

You should be able to use the same sort as I did to see what devices are showing to be most recently updated. Bear in mind you will have to do a refresh each time you evaluate as the view will not re-sort when that time changes. If the time on a device is changed without the status changing, I would look to the plug-in author to solve that. If it is an HST plug-in, file a bugzilla report. If it is a 3rd party plug-in, contact the developer.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thank you for narrowing it down. I think it is to do with the xAP plugin. I'll raise a post on that sub forum.

If I set up the following event, then the last change updates every 10 minutes or so, even if the output state doesn't change. I suspect this is happening whenever the Netiom sends a full device refresh.

If I delete the event, then the last change works properly.

If I change the event to point to a different Netiom output, then the new output will update every 10 minutes while the old output then operates correctly.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X