Zee Voices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zee Voices

So, the default voice the Zee uses can be somewhat terrifying to hear My family always looks around in shock when they hear TTS from the Zee being spoken on the HSTouch clients.

The Zee uses flite for converting TTS. Here's how to change it to a more pleasant voice (at least in my opinion)

Edit the /usr/local/HomeSeer/speak_to_file.sh
    Change the second line to:
    flite -voice slt -o "$1" -t "$2"

This will change it to the 'slt' voice which is a little better than the kal16 voice. For comparison, check out the attached files - rename them to a .wav extension.
    Attached Files
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

This was helpful, much better voice and easy to change vs. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=173837

Note that the file that needs to change is now speak.sh in the same directory. The old one was still there in my new Zee S2 but change did not work, then I noticed speak.sh there and it contained "-voice kal16" so just changed kal16 to slt.

Comment

Does the ZEE have pico2 wave?

In my hometroller I change from flite to pico by editing the speak.sh file

#!/bin/sh
      #
      #flite -voice kal16 -t "$1"
      #
      pico2wave -w=temp.wav "$1"
      aplay temp.wav
      Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
      | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
      Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
      BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Thinking here a while ago I installed picotts.

Googled new RPi2 installation. This is one way of many today.

Code:
        cd /
        wget hxxp://incrediblepbx.com/picotts-raspi.tar.gz
        tar zxvf picotts-raspi.tar.gz
        rm -f picotts-raspi.tar.gz
        cd /root
        echo "Installing Pico TTS..."
        ./picotts-install.sh
        s
        Code:
        udo apt-get install libttspico-utils
        pico2wave -w lookdave.wav "Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this." && aplay lookdave.wav
        Today do not use the Linux Text to speech. You can today purchase Linux voice fonts if you want.

Rather here use Microsoft SAPI running Speaker dot exe on another computer with the audio output plugged in to the zoned audio.

To find out what voices are present with the installation of flite do this:

RPi2-Zee:~# flite -lv
        Voices available: kal awb_time kal16 awb rms slt

To test different voices above do this:

1 - flite -voice kal "I'm now speaking kal's voice. By the way, please call me Dr. Hawking."
        2 - flite -voice awb_time "I'm now speaking kal's voice. By the way, please call me Dr. Hawking."
        3 - flite -voice kal16 "I'm now speaking kal's voice. By the way, please call me Dr. Hawking."
        4 - flite -voice awb "I'm now speaking kal's voice. By the way, please call me Dr. Hawking."
        5 - flite -voice rms "I'm now speaking kal's voice. By the way, please call me Dr. Hawking."
        6 - flite -voice slt "I'm now speaking kal's voice. By the way, please call me Dr. Hawking."
        Last edited by Pete; April 22, 2016, 04:52 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

More voice choices!

Thanks for pointing out all the extra voice choices! All the ones you listed were in my Zee. The awb_time had errors but the rest worked. I might go with rms, seems easiest to understand. Wife needs to listen and decide.

I still would love to know if there is any way to insert pauses and control the volume from within a Speak Something Then action. I posted another thread asking about it that many have viewed but no one replied to. I've been searching the internet for a long time with no luck. I might just break into separate Speak Something's.

Comment

is any way to insert pauses and control the volume from within a Speak Something Then action.

You probably can google the command line structure for the TTS and use standard HS3 volume controls when speaking text. IE: or write a short script and run it to change the volume and talk.

Something like this in a script: (I took this from the HS3 Help file)

Code:
            sub main()
            hs.SetVolume 90
            hs.speak "I am speaking louder",TRUE
            hs.SetVoume 20, "Kitchen"
            hs.speak "I am speaking softer on the Kitchen computer than on the others.",TRUE
            end sub
            Last edited by Pete; April 22, 2016, 08:11 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
              So, the default voice the Zee uses can be somewhat terrifying to hear My family always looks around in shock when they hear TTS from the Zee being spoken on the HSTouch clients.

The Zee uses flite for converting TTS. Here's how to change it to a more pleasant voice (at least in my opinion)

This will change it to the 'slt' voice which is a little better than the kal16 voice. For comparison, check out the attached files - rename them to a .wav extension.
              Rob - I think Rich went with the original voice for performance reasons. did you notice any delays with the voice you switched to?
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                Rob - I think Rich went with the original voice for performance reasons. did you notice any delays with the voice you switched to?
                Hi Mark! I'm no longer using that method above. I was using the (awesome) Google TTS until they blocked it with a captcha. Rich posted an alternative (VoiceRSS) that is really just as good:
                http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=175012

Comment

I just tried the instructions at that thread without success. They were a bit terse but I got registered at voicerss.org and got a key. The thread also says to change speak_to_file.sh but I found the last time I changed the voice on my 3 month old Zee the script file is really speak.sh. Anyway I tried swapping out the file contents of speak.sh with the one at the bottom of the thread, replacing the key with the one I just got, and no joy, only silence. Tried it on speak_to_file.sh for the heck of it and put speak.sh back to what I had earlier and my old voice was back. I tried getting an updated key, still only silence. So I'm back to using this in speak.sh (rms was an already installed voice that sounded better IMO than the originally configured voice out of the box):

#!/bin/sh
                  flite -voice rms -t "$1"

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

Newbie Zee question...how are you accessing that file to edit the lines?? Terminal access...Nano???

Comment

I'm old school - I used vi. You can use nano as well. If you get a permission message, use sudo

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

Comment

I used vi too. See also this thread to adjust your volume if needed.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ght=zee+volume

John

Comment

Originally posted by crmccashin View Post
                          Newbie Zee question...how are you accessing that file to edit the lines?? Terminal access...Nano???
                          I guess I wasn't complete in my question. How and where are you accessing the program itself?? SSH?
                          Thanks, Rick

Comment

You need to SSH into the linux OS the Zee is running on. Putty is a free .EXE program you can use to do that, other options also exist. You need to know a bit about how to get around in linux to change to the scripts directory, and you need to then know how to use the vi program to edit the file. After using putty to SSH into your Zee you would log into the linux OS with user "homeseer" and the password you set it up with. Once logged in you get to the scripts directory using "cd /usr/local/Homeseer/scripts" and you can then type "ls" to see the script files in the directory. Google how to use vi to edit the file itself.

Note there was both a speak_to_file.sh file and a speak.sh file in my Zee when I got it. The beginning of this thread said to edit the speak_to_file.sh file, but I found it was really the speak.sh file that the Zee is using and that needs to be edited.

Comment

Here didn't like the robotic like TTS so I moved the RPi2 client over to a mini MS Server VM running the speaker client for the big box HS Pro server. (toofer)

The audio is going to one source on the zoned audio box and I just use a different MS SAPI voice font (house speaks in tongues).

I get zero zip delays on the MS clients running SAPI speaker dot exe. Touch screens all run SAPI on embedded MS and work great. (but I mostly keep the audio off unless it speaking French or Portuguese or German (to bug wife)).

I don't bother much with VI these days with either Windows boxes or Linux boxes.

It is easy in Linux to just SSH to the Homeseer box directory and use desktop Linux editing tools. (with windows use WinSCP explorer which is quick and easy). Thinking though used VI a bunch on an old Sun Solaris box in the Boston Logan airport that was managing the legacy (analog) FIDs display and would talk to a new Cisco Switch (what a PITA that was). As old as the box was it never did break until there was the effort to plug it in to a Cisco switch.
                              Last edited by Pete; June 22, 2016, 02:20 PM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X