"Double Tap" now registering in HS3 :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Double Tap" now registering in HS3 :)

I forget where I saw someone mention it, but sure enough (with latest zwave beta) I can now create events for when I press on or off two times in a row. Pretty cool.

I've created an event that turns on or off all lights when I double tap the switch in bedroom hall. So on way to bed two taps and everything shuts off and door locks. Nice.

Anyone else create any events for double taps?

Yeah skarragallagher

got me inspired by his post and rprades work was amazing.

I've got around 30 outside perimeter lights controlled by various z wave nodes. There is no physical wiring back to the house(to a switch) so I've be controlling it all this time with hstouch. Not always practical like a physical switch and not great WAF.
    So now switches control perimeter lights with a double tap or tripple tap.
    Double tap ON - 15 lights on North end come ON, and double tap off, turns off.
    Triple tap ON - all 30 perimeter lights come on(North and South), triple tap off, turns off.

Switch by front door - Double tap ON - opens Front Gate. AMAZING! It used to take so much longer to get to the HS touch device or open hstouch on my iphone(very slow...getting data thing). Now someone comes to the gate, double tap switch opens it, double tap OFF, turns off.

Another switch by front door to activate away mode!

great stuff. Very grateful to skarragallagher for sharing. Possibilities are really endless...
    Tom
    baby steps...starting again with HS3
    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Yeah, I was looking into the double tap because I wanted avoid purchasing Scene controllers and wanted to use existing hardware.

Since version the zwave beta .184 HS3 will now recognize two (or more) ON or OFF taps. Before this version HS3 was ignoring the second press.

I am using this in several different scenarios and think of more every day.

One thing i have noticed is that if you trigger polling of any devices on button press (which i do in my living room where i have 3 switches) and if you use the double press technique that they sometimes don't play well together.

I ultimately had to disable the trigger polling event because it was improperly incrementing the counters.

Comment

Just wondering, what are you guys doing to reset counter if the switch is only tapped once. The best thing I've found is to set an event on button press that delays 5 minutes and the resets counter. Its rare that a switch will be turned on or off twice in 5 minutes, so its working OK. Just wondered if I'm missing something obvious.

I tried creating an event that would set a five second delayed counter reset when a switch was hit. It just didn't work well. The counter wouldn't always increment and when the doubletap event fired it would take too long.

So what are you guys doing to prevent misfires?

Thanks
        Last edited by bandook; December 21, 2014, 09:08 PM.

Comment

So how are you catching the multiples? Timers and counters or is there a condition I haven't seen yet?

Comment

Yes, counters. In an event first I have a condition if a switch "had its value set to", then increment a counter.

Then another event, if a counter = 2, then (run event or turn on devices or whatever). Then "reset counter".

The only small issue is if you hit the switch once, walk away and then come back and hit the switch again before the counter resets. It can cause an unintentional trigger of a "double tap" event. I have a failsafe event that resets counters every 5 minutes. I could shorten it but 1. I don't like having events fire repeatedly and unnecessarily and 2. If it is too short you could possibly try to trigger a double tap just as the counter is being reset.

Comment

Nice. I set this up last week. Didn't realize it was new!

Comment

I was able to set this up without much trouble on my stand alone GE/Jasco On/Off wall switches but I was having some trouble implementing on my GE/Jasco Wall dimmers. Anyone having any luck getting the double tap to work on dimmers? I am guessing that I need to use something other than the device is set to on.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bandook View Post
                  Yes, counters. In an event first I have a condition if a switch "had its value set to", then increment a counter.

Then another event, if a counter = 2, then (run event or turn on devices or whatever). Then "reset counter".

The only small issue is if you hit the switch once, walk away and then come back and hit the switch again before the counter resets. It can cause an unintentional trigger of a "double tap" event. I have a failsafe event that resets counters every 5 minutes. I could shorten it but 1. I don't like having events fire repeatedly and unnecessarily and 2. If it is too short you could possibly try to trigger a double tap just as the counter is being reset.
                  Do I need a timer as well, or just a counter?

Comment

Can something like this be done with a z-wave switch behind an existing switch?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottRennie View Post
                      Do I need a timer as well, or just a counter?
                      The timer helps to reset the counter if you only tap once and then walk away. I use a timer of 1 minute. If you tap on it starts the timer, when the timer gets to 1 minute it resets the counter. If you tap 2x the counter resets automatically in the event string I am using. Just helps make sure you don't turn the light on today and then turn the light on tomorrow initiating the double tap because the counter didn't reset

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
                        Can something like this be done with a z-wave switch behind an existing switch?
                        can you elaborate more on what you are doing or how you have the switches set up and configured?

Comment

Originally posted by norcalhkr View Post
                          The timer helps to reset the counter if you only tap once and then walk away. I use a timer of 1 minute. If you tap on it starts the timer, when the timer gets to 1 minute it resets the counter. If you tap 2x the counter resets automatically in the event string I am using. Just helps make sure you don't turn the light on today and then turn the light on tomorrow initiating the double tap because the counter didn't reset
                          Cheers, That makes sense. What I didn't realize is that I don't need a timer to wait then count the taps - the event doesn't trigger as soon as I tap the light. I used to have a counter and a timer to trigger the event.

Thanks
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by ScottRennie View Post
                            Cheers, That makes sense. What I didn't realize is that I don't need a timer to wait then count the taps - the event doesn't trigger as soon as I tap the light. I used to have a counter and a timer to trigger the event.

Thanks
                            Scott
                            Yeah, it is a bit of trial and error getting it to work, each switch is a little different as is our logic. We tend to look at things from different perspectives which can lead to interesting configurations and uses.

Comment

So interesting result with the double tap events that I have created. I noticed that when homeseer would poll the device it gets the status and starts the doubletap sequence. Once in a while it will poll the device 2xs essentially mimicking the double tap and launching the event. Polling is set to every 20 minutes so that is when I am seeing it run randomly.

Question, has anyone run in to the same problem? If you have how did you overcome it?

Comment

Working...
                              X