Insteon Hub V1 vs V2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Hub V1 vs V2

I was planning to pick up one of the Insteon Hubs for my interface as I plan to SLOWLY move from X-10 lighting to Insteon. I can get a V2 Version of the hub alone (2244-222) for $39.99, or the starter kit with either a V1 (2244-234) or V2 (2244-224) for $100. Since the kit comes with 2 lamp modules, I think that's the better buy.

But, other that they V1 being square, and the V2 being rectangular, is there any other differences? Have firmware upgrades for the V1 made it almost the same as a V2? Or possibly the V1 is better maybe since it could have better parts/build quality? Or the V2 left some things out in the change? Just wondering. Or am I splitting hairs?

Or, convince me a different interface is better for the price.

rschildt,
    I do not think the v2 hub works with X10.
    If you are wanting the Hub to also operate your X10 devices, then you should get the 2242-222 Hub, as the 2245-222 Hub does not support X10. Or just get the 2413U for USB or the 2413S for serial Powerlink modem. Both support X10.

Comment

Well I picked up what I thought was the older V1 starter kit. I got the 2244-234 kit which included a square hub 2245-222. After opening it up, the hub is actually the V2 version. It does seem to work for controlling my X-10 stuff as well as the 2 Insteon lamp modules included in the kit.

INSTEON HUB2 Details
      Hub2-V04-20140904
      PLM Version:9D
      Firmware:1004 Build Nov 7 2014 09:30:40

Comment

That's strange on the SmartHome website it specifically mentions that the 2245-222 does not support X10 but the 2242-222 does.

See http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2245-222-hub.html bottom of the page.

Here is a screenshot...
        Attached Files
        Billy

Comment

Originally posted by bdraper View Post
          That's strange on the SmartHome website it specifically mentions that the 2245-222 does not support X10 but the 2242-222 does.

See http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2245-222-hub.html bottom of the page.

Here is a screenshot...
          Well I definitely have the 2245-222 one....
          Attached Files

Comment

I am intrigued since I just got the 2245-222 and it cannot find anything, even the switchlink I/O module that is insteon. I was on hold for over an hour only to be told that it did not work with x10 and I needed more insteon modules because there was probably line interference. In the instructions it says something about pressing the set button to where it is blinking and setting the find devices on the smartphone. I did that with my insteon iolink and nothing. How did you do it with your X-10 devices?

INSTEON HUB2 Details
            Hub2-V04-20140904

Thanks,
            TBG

Comment

Interesting, I am thinking about purchasing one of the 2245-222 since they are $39 on the SmartHome website, for a limited time. Does anyone know if this new hub works with Mark's Insteon plugin?
              Billy

Comment

Originally posted by texasbluesguitar View Post
                I am intrigued since I just got the 2245-222 and it cannot find anything, even the switchlink I/O module that is insteon. I was on hold for over an hour only to be told that it did not work with x10 and I needed more insteon modules because there was probably line interference. In the instructions it says something about pressing the set button to where it is blinking and setting the find devices on the smartphone. I did that with my insteon iolink and nothing. How did you do it with your X-10 devices?

INSTEON HUB2 Details
                Hub2-V04-20140904

Thanks,
                TBG

Well what started out pretty easy quickly became quite quirky. I started out using the Android app on my tablet to originally add just one of my X10 devices to see if the hub worked with X10, before I went too far in case I needed to return it. Low and behold, when I went to add a new device in the Android app, there was an icon to add an X10 device. I added my Great Room Lights (5 X-10 Lamp/Appliance modules) . I added them fine, and tested with the Android app, and they worked fine. So then I took the two included Insteon lamp modules out and figured I'd add them using Mark's plug-in (using the 30 day demo), but even with adding the 6 digit ID's, the plug-in couldn't find the modules in Homeseer. So then I tried to add them in the Android app, and after pressing the set button to make the module light flash, the hub and the modules still didn't find each other (only about 10 feet apart in the basement right by the fuse box). While trying to add them I noticed I needed to press the set button a couple of times after it started flashing to get the hub and the modules to "sync", then they started to talk to each other and the Android app found them. So at this point I re-tried to add them into Mark's plug-in, and now they were found. So I guess if your Insteon devices show up in the app, then the Homeseer plug-in can find them as well.

So now with both Insteon lamp modules, and one of my X-10 codes (A-1) working, I assumed everything was going to be okay. Well after seeing your problems posted, I grabbed my iPhone (not the Android tablet), and checked if the devices were there and still worked. They did, so I decided to try and add another of my X-10 device codes (A-15 for my outdoor lights). However I couldn't find the same icon that showed up in the Android app on my tablet to add any more X-10 devices. So I went back into the Android app on the tablet, and the icon to add X-10 devices was still there. Added the outdoor lights, and tested in the Android App, and they work. Fire up the iPhone app, and after updating / polling all devices show up and work.

Quite quirky, but working. I don't plan to use the Android or iPhone apps in the long run. I want to use Mark's plug-in for both the Insteon and X-10 devices, and get rid of my serial CM11A. I believe Mark stated using the app and his plug-in at the same time is not supported, but for initial setup of the V2 hub, it may be required from what my experience has been so far.

I'll be setting up everything in Homeseer this week. Getting the X-10 devices in the Android/iOS app is really not needed to have them work in Homeseer. I just wanted them to be in there as a backup way to control if I can.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks! So what you're saying is that the ability to add X10 devices is found in the android app but not the ios or wp8 app. So the x10 functionality exists in the hub, it is just hidden! I'd end up using marks plugin if this works for initial setup.Thanks!

Comment

So I did what you said and my android device did have the ability to add X10 devices through the hub app. However, whenever I turn them on or off nothing happens. I can go to my ipad and see the devices there as well. I think maybe the X10 communication comes from the hub 2, but it has to be picked up by a controller on the line. When you tested it did you have your CM11a plugged in? Thanks,
                    TBG

Comment

Working...
                    X