• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap AirPlay speaker

Just ordered one of these its a great deal and has awesome reviews
    http://www.harmanaudio.com/jbl/JBL+S....html?CJPID=CJ

Nice find!

If you have an existing amp and speakers, I've found this solution to work great.

http://www.amazon.com/AirEnabler-Ada.../dp/B00EZWVZ44

The guy who sells it basically reconfigures some sort of TP-Link device. You can then reconfigure the device according to your needs. E.g., I have an existing amp and an existing router, so I put it in wired mode.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
      Nice find!

If you have an existing amp and speakers, I've found this solution to work great.

http://www.amazon.com/AirEnabler-Ada.../dp/B00EZWVZ44

The guy who sells it basically reconfigures some sort of TP-Link device. You can then reconfigure the device according to your needs. E.g., I have an existing amp and an existing router, so I put it in wired mode.

Have you compared it side by side to an airport express? Just wondering if you did and whether you thought it was comparable or even better than an airport? One thing I hate about my airports is how much heat they put out, just feels like a lot of wasted electricity, and I'm not really too sure they are rock solid.
      HS Install Date: Feb. 16, 2007

HS3 Pro, Z-Wave, Insteon, BLStat, HS Touch Server, MyQ

WeatherXML, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLLock, Restart, CaddX, OpenSprinkler

Comment

Originally posted by misraels View Post
        Have you compared it side by side to an airport express? Just wondering if you did and whether you thought it was comparable or even better than an airport? One thing I hate about my airports is how much heat they put out, just feels like a lot of wasted electricity, and I'm not really too sure they are rock solid.
        I had an airport express a long long while ago. Performance-wise, I don't see any difference between this device and the AE. Both work. This guy is tiny -- think maybe 3/4 of an inch high, but 3 or 4 inches square. Puts out no heat whatsoever. And I seemed to recall that with the AE, you couldn't turn off the wireless (although I could be wrong), whereas with this, you have three modes: stand-alone (it creates its own WiFi network); wireless client; wired client. Since I have it installed in the same closet as a switch, I'm using it in wired mode.

Comment

Originally posted by kideon View Post
          Just ordered one of these its a great deal and has awesome reviews
          http://www.harmanaudio.com/jbl/JBL+S....html?CJPID=CJ
          how did these speakers work out(sound quality)?
          I'm moving from squeezebox(software based) to airplay system, and trying to piece things together.
          How is your airplay system set up? Do you have a server with itune's running on it. Are you able to control your itunes remotely (say from a phone) telling it which speakers to play music on? And what other kinds of airplay speakers do you have?
          Sorry about all the questions but I've seen your post on various itunes threads.
          Tom
          baby steps...starting again with HS3
          HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
          HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
          Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
          In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
          System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Awesomely! I'm really impressed with the sound quality and there isn't a lag for asking up the device. Highly recommend it.

Comment

Oh answering the other questions I have a central wintel iTunes server and I use spuds itunesdaap plugin to control it. I use his airplayspeak plugin for anbouncements. It's been rock solid on the soundlfly, Apple TV, and airport express. Shairport4w on wintel and airpbubble on android with air float on iOS dinction but are kludgy but probably just need to to be tweaked out.

Comment

Based on this post I bought 2 Airfly speakers, they are great (I should have bought more) I also bought an airport express connected to my receiver all working well playing music & iTunes radio from my Homeseer PC,

Comment

Nice, I waited because I wasn't sure of the direction I should take. I'm still in the process of drawing out my setup from squeezebox...so I'll have to wait and see if there is another airplay speaker sale

Originally posted by rayvino View Post
                  Based on this post I bought 2 Airfly speakers, they are great (I should have bought more) I also bought an airport express connected to my receiver all working well playing music & iTunes radio from my Homeseer PC,
                  Tom

Comment

Originally posted by kideon View Post
                    Oh answering the other questions I have a central wintel iTunes server and I use spuds itunesdaap plugin to control it. I use his airplayspeak plugin for anbouncements. It's been rock solid on the soundlfly, Apple TV, and airport express. Shairport4w on wintel and airpbubble on android with air float on iOS dinction but are kludgy but probably just need to to be tweaked out.
                    Yeah, I've spent the weekend reading, searching, re-reading..

The current problem with my squeezebox player is the android app squeeze player disconnects when its in the background. This makes it useless as a whole house audio. I'm still searching for alternatives to squeeze player.
                    Surprising think is squeezebox servers show up as airplay devices.

Current plan is to have central itunes, doubletwist w Airysync and Airbuddy on andriod. Do you mean airfoil instead of air flot?
                    All my hs touchscreens are android, so using these apps I'm able to make them airplay speakers and stream music from central itunes.

Does itunesdapp plugin allow you to use it as whole house audio. Meaning with one itunes (central ) running, can one android device stream a podcast while another one is playing a radio channel?
                    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post

Does itunesdapp plugin allow you to use it as whole house audio. Meaning with one itunes (central ) running, can one android device stream a podcast while another one is playing a radio channel?
                      to do that you need two instances of iTunes running, unfortunately Apple prevent iTunes to be run more than once on the same computer, so you would need to run iTunes on two different computers or virtual machines.

then you can have 2 instance of iTunes DAAP controlling your two iTunes instances.

Comment

kideon, As mentioned above I purchased 2 of the JBL Soundfly speakers and an Apple Airport Express (to feed my audio receiver) to play ITunes music.

I have been thinking of getting Spuds Airspeak plugin for HS announcements but since the Soundfly speakers go to sleep after no music is played for a little while and take a bit of time to wake up.

How does that delay affect the HS announcements?

Comment

Airfloat it's a jailbreak app that emulates an AirPlay speaker. The only bad thing is that it doesn't support background operation and background manager is not updated for ios8 so you have to use the device as a dedicated speaker. The sleep delay hasn't been an issue on the soundfly it wakes up and speaks the message. Spuds right about the multiple iTunes instances so if you want to have more than one audio stream playing then it may not be the solution for you (Sonos probably would be better). AirPlay is the most cost effective way to set up multiple zone audio since it can run on any device.

Comment

Working...
                          X