I just want HS3 to play me music!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want HS3 to play me music!

I want events to play specific music. Can this be done without converting said songs to .wav? I tried BLMediaPlayer but that seems to be geared for HSTouch, which I don't use currently. I tried the DLNA plugin but It was completely confused all the time and failed to play songs I had selected when events ran. Does anyone have any idea how to accomplish this? Am I really the only person on the forum who is interested in this functionality?
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Have you tried choosing the "Speak Something" event action and then in the data field, enter the full path to your desired MP3 file? It seems counter intuitive to use the "speak something " vs "play something" but Dirk (dcorsus) explains this is how you do it for his Sonos plugin. I haven't tried MP3 but it definitely works for a .wav file and is supposed to work for MP3 also.
    cheeryfool

Comment

And I don't think the Sonos plugin is required to do this as it still plays on HS Speaker clients (if you want it to) and Dirk hijacks this with a speaker proxy for Sonos players.
      cheeryfool

Comment

Alas this doesn't seem to work! If it did it would answer my prayers. No errors in the log or anything.

Does anyone else have an idea?

EDIT:

It won't play a .wav either. Am I doing something wrong? I just put the full address of the .wav in the text to be spoken box.

Comment

I know this works with the SONOS PI, but I think you will need an mp3 file. If you here the file path spoken instead of the mp3 file, your path is wrong.

Bob

Comment

It doesn't say or play anything. I have tried both .mp3 and .wav files.

So this is working for other people?

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
              It doesn't say or play anything. I have tried both .mp3 and .wav files.

So this is working for other people?
              it's working for me with mp3
              does the HS speaker client speak the file name?
              if not, maybe you have a plugin acting as a speak proxy which filters out the path. Try disabling any plugin that act as a speak proxy.

Comment

Yeah, well.... Kinda embarrassing, but, I had do not run event again for XX selected. I figured that would be overridden by running the event manually. For the record IT ISN'T!

Now on to brighter horizons. It does indeed work! It even will respect the BLSpeech special tags. This is too cool. You guys are fantastic human beings.

I don't suppose that there is a way to play a playlist this way is there?

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post

I don't suppose that there is a way to play a playlist this way is there?
                  I don't think so. With that, your are getting in to the realm of media plugins - like the ones from Dirk, Spud and others.
                  cheeryfool

Comment

Yeah, it's looking like this isn't all it's cracked up to be. I can't see a way to pause it in the event that I have another TTS message needing to come through. None of the media players do what I want. Really the best would be for me to be able to control WinAmp on my PC but that seems fruitless. I already have all of the events in place to turn audio on and off depending on occupancy and the status of WinAmp but I can't control it per se.

Did the HS2 media player plugin offer the ability to play an individual song?

Comment

I'm using Winamp as well until Homeseer decides to put some resources on their media plugin.

It's clunky but i use events like you to play and pause music and contol volume as well as show title info. I'm using a utility called CLAmp.exe which let's u control winamp from the command line. My events launch CLAmp with the right parameters.

Comment

iTunes? There is a HS plugin for it albeit I have not tried it myself, could import your own library in and just use it to play media and playlists. Failing that as above something like winamp with command line/http control to select a playlist.

Comment

@ mrhappy,

Yeah I saw that there was an itunes plugin. I have an aversion to itunes though. It seems to take over and provides an interface I dislike. I don't use any media browsers at all. I intelligently organize all of my movies, music, pictures and so on.

@ the plant,

Could you point me to some resources on clamp and tell me a little more about your events? I can't seem to find a reliable source for clamp.exe and documentation. Also my winamp instance is on a different system than HS3. I suppose I could use jon00's network and computer control plugin to send the commands. Seems like a real PITA hack though.

Comment

I use Squeezebox players here with and without Homeseer. Squeeze box server is free. The Squeezebox server is running on the MythTV box (with 6 tuners these days). For a while I was also running a Plex server concurrent to the MythTV stuff.

You can run the players on anything these days. XBMC catalogs my stuff (music and video) live these days. I can though export the DB for my own use if I want.

I have one player connected to my Russound zoned amps. I am currently modding a box that already has digital audio outputs but not wiring for it such that I am adding an internal optical output on it. That said I already use the box with a usb dac on it.

A while back you had mentioned the use of VM's for Homeseer. Just build a small Ubuntu Squeezebox server VM. OR you can install a Plex server for music and video and streaming stuff to anything these days.

I have quit collecting music CDs and Movies (DVD's-Blue Ray). Years ago though did purchase a bar code reader and would input my stuff in to a DB. It was fast at the time.

The above noted I have never used Homeseer (1 or 2) to manage my media; but that is me. I did play with it and just utilized too much automation CPU for me. There are plenty of users here that have done just that over the years.
                            Last edited by Pete; February 19, 2015, 01:34 PM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

As you may have gathered from my earlier post, I now have a couple of Sonos Players and they do JUST WORK. Dirk's plugin has enabled me to pause/resume for TTS and play pretty much anything. Play 1 model is $199 but I was lucky enough to pick one up cheaper thanks to Rupp highlighting a lightning sale on Amazon just before Christmas
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                              X