Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get HS3 to reload settings.ini after hs.SaveINISetting

Hello,

I'm sorry but I searched for a solution but couldn't find.

By default, I use a personal email server to send HS generated emails through. If that server goes down I want emails to go to a different server. I've discovered how to change the values in settings.ini, but I cannot find out how to get HS3 to reload and use those settings.

After I run my test script I can open settings.ini and see the new values. However, the UI is still displaying the old value and the system is also still using the old value.

How do I get HS to start using the new settings?

Much thanks!
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

BTW, I am using the following:

hs.SaveINISetting "Settings","gSMTPServer","192.168.1.xxx","settings.ini"
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

My guess is that those settings are only read on startup, so you'll likely need to restart HS for your changes to take effect. This can be done through an event or script. There are a few mail related third party plugins that may accomplish what you need. Ultrajones, Blade and jon00's come to mind.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I hope that's not the case. Restarting HS seems too clunky of a solution. This seems like something that can be done programmatically. After all, how do your settings changes via the UI take effect immediately if there were not a mechanism to do so? Perhaps it's a different mechanism than hs.SaveINISetting, and perhaps it is not possible to access this ability via scripting or the API. If not, I will be filing a feature request. :-)

Does anyone else know definitively if this is possible or not? Any way to ask the dev staff directly?

Comment

Pretty sure Sparkman is correct.

with my weatherXML plugin, I read the ini file when the plugin starts up and then I don't read it again.

When you make changes via the web page UI, the plugin has access to the variables that I store the ini values in. So I just change the value of the variable and save the change to the ini file but I don't read the ini file again. If you have a lot of ini reads it slows the program down.
          --
          Jeff Farmer
          HS 3, HSPhone
          My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Thank you for your input.

Ok. I can understand not reading the file again until restart, but HS settings changes via the UI still take effect immediately so I am hopeful there is a way to programmatically accomplish this.

I only see weatherXML variables in the Global Variables page so I'm guessing that's not how the HS system does it for HS settings.

Any other insights?

Is there any way to get in touch w/ a HS developer?

Is there an official location for feature requests?

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
              Is there any way to get in touch w/ a HS developer?
              Call the Help Desk - number is on the main web-site.

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
              Is there an official location for feature requests?
              http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzilla

Cheers
              Al
              HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I opened up a support ticket. They confirmed it wasn't currently possible and told me they would not be considering this as an enhancement :-( I'm now looking into creating a custom function, script, or event that can accept parameters, do some simple logic, and then sending the email manually via a .Net class or vbscript CDO*.

Comment

Working...
                X