Raspberry PI2 Install for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry PI2 Install for Dummies

Wanted to make a simple qwiki for those in future that may be running on Pi2...

First download the pre built image that rmasonjr has compiled and graciously hosted for us to use (big ups to him : http://1drv.ms/1DKWYW8

Following rmasonjr's directions:
    There are 3 users on this distro, all with the same password: homeseer
    The users are root, pi, homeseer

***After booting the image, login as homeseer and:
    sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Mono 3.2.8 is installed along with flite (TTS) and chromium.

Once you boot into the Pi you will want to use wget command to download HS3 as outline by PosterBoy (publishing the link for the HS3 linux files is yet to be addressed from what I gather thus far):

wget http://homeseer.com/updates3/hs3_linux_3_0_0_149.tar.gz
    tar xvf hs3_linux_3_0_0_149.tar.gz
    rm hs3_linux_3_0_0_149.tar.gz
    cd HomeSeer
    wget http://homeseer.com/updates3/hslinux...0_0_174.tar.gz
    tar zxvf ~/hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_174.tar.gz
    rm hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_174.tar.gz
    cd ..
    sudo mv HomeSeer /usr/local

Once your in the Homeseer directory ./go will start the service. From there you if you log into the pi2 ip address on an http browser (port 80) it will take you to the homeseer webserver....

If you are using a USB port on the PI2, you will need to make a symlink for HS3 plugins using this or a similar command with your own port with the directions in this link, section 4.3.1:
    https://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-...s-to-configure

More to come with regard to setting up wifi, purging the ifplugd file etc...
    Last edited by IntegrationNoob; June 3, 2015, 10:30 AM.

Anyone struggling to get pico TTS tools installed on their Pi2? I can't find a repo source for it. It looks like they switched from flite to pico in the latest version of HS3.

/opt/HomeSeer/./speak.sh: 3: /opt/HomeSeer/./speak.sh: pico2wave: not found
    Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
      Anyone struggling to get pico TTS tools installed on their Pi2? I can't find a repo source for it. It looks like they switched from flite to pico in the latest version of HS3.

/opt/HomeSeer/./speak.sh: 3: /opt/HomeSeer/./speak.sh: pico2wave: not found
      +1
      In case you haven't seen this and want to roll your own:
      http://rpihome.blogspot.com/2015/02/...-pico-tts.html

Comment

Rich posted a quick way to get Google's TTS running on a Pi/Pi2/Linux install, and I must say, the Google TTS voice is outstanding:
        http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=175012
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          Rich posted a quick way to get Google's TTS running on a Pi/Pi2/Linux install, and I must say, the Google TTS voice is outstanding:
          http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=175012
          Nice.

Thanks,
          Z

Comment

Thanks for this!

I was looking for the image to download, but there are a lot of posts. This is a great help.

Will HS3Pro read the configuration file from my Windows machine? It seems like some folks were saying it was problematic.

Comment

I'm just learning the Pi and the commands associated with such. When I tried to install Mono, I've gotten an 404 error for some files. see attached. This is my second try can anyone tell me what might be going on, and how to get around it without starting again. Are there updates to the instructions due to changes in the associated file locations or updates? It might be some time before I learn this new OS but I'm trying.
              THanx

Update:
              I think I found I needed to update the OS first, before installing Mono and so by updating the OS with commands update, then upgrade (from the raspberry Pi site info) only then would Mono install. Mono is a C+ pluggin from what I gather. I'm not sure if updating knocked out some of the prep work that has been done, but it is easy to format the SD card and start again if wrong. I wonder if I'm on the right track. Pi and command line interface is all new to me. I'm using headless mode and logging in with Putty. I tried to give the Pi a static IP but that failed first attempt. Using the Pico (or nanao) editor will allow you to switch from DHCP to Static IP, by changing settings in a text file, there are some good examples to follow by googling them. Now I'm having trouble getting homeseer into a file and unpacking it to it can be installed then updated. One step at a time. Until confirmed by someone who knows what they are doing don't take this as fact, only as a clue to progress by someone wondering around in the dark. "I think I found the door handle".
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Daggy67; July 14, 2015, 05:20 AM.

Comment

I have been a HS1 and HS2 user for over 10 years and although I bought HS3 in June 2013 have been very reluctant to change over. I now have to as I am making most of my X10 devices redundant and changing to Z-Wave devices and adding some new ones which are not supported by HS2.

I have seen the Zee 2 but by the time it is shipped to the UK the overall cost is high and locally these units are in the GBP 250 upwards.

I need a totally independent HS3 as I don’t want to experiment on my live remote Windows PC. The Raspberry Pi 2 B seems to be the answer but I have zero knowledge of the operating system.

As I am one of the Dummies mentioned in the title I would like answers to some questions:

What are the benefits of using any of the operating systems Linux, Ubuntu, Raspian, Noobs, Daspian or any others I have not mentioned? Are the commands the same?

I have a requirement for

X10 via T103 (RS232/USB) or CM15 to control a few X10 DIN rail devices

Z-Wave for lights, curtains/drapes using Qubino and Aeon multi sensors

CurrenCost by MrHappy. Perfect plug-in for my needs (Answer from MrHappy only Windows option)

W800 on a USB to RS232 cable but not a must.

Also take camera snapshots from motion detection events. Is storage an issue? Or can images be stored on remote PC connected via LAN.

Can the optional internal Z-Wave add-on board be used rather than a USB stick which reduces the USB ports?

I have tried downloading the http://1drv.ms/1DKWYW8 image but this fails about 20 seconds from the end. Tried on 3 different PCs using IE and Mozilla with and without Webroot protection.

Looked at the very comprehensive instructions from stefxx (bedankt) and SteveMSJ and many more I now want to take the plunge. I presume the download removes the need to modify the basic fresh install of Linux/Ubuntu/Despian/Noobs/Raspian etc.

I am at the Dummy level but am from a technical background having used Pascal and machine code in the very distant past.

Thanks

Jo
                Last edited by Jo; August 16, 2015, 06:55 AM.

Comment

I'm no RPi or Linux expert myself, but was in a very similar position to you recently and I took the plunge. I absolutely love having HS on this tiny PC that uses very little power and I don't need to worry about keeping it up while I work on my larger PC when doing things like upgrading the hardware, upgrading to Windows 10, encoding videos (which makes HS commands really slow), and otherwise serving up Plex. I love having HS on a dedicated system and it's even better being able to do it for < $100.

I learned a few things recently which I'll share....

I have a requirement for

X10 via T103 (RS232/USB) or CM15 to control a few X10 DIN rail devices

Z-Wave for lights, curtains/drapes using Qubino and Aeon multi sensors

CurrenCost by MrHappy. Perfect plug-in for my needs (Answer from MrHappy only Windows option)

W800 on a USB to RS232 cable but not a must.

Also take camera snapshots from motion detection events. Is storage an issue? Or can images be stored on remote PC connected via LAN.
                  I use a CM15a and had some issues. The image by rmasonjr never worked properly for me as the CM15a never would be recognized by HS3. It would at the OS level but never in HS. I probably tried it 5-6 different times, manually loading the drivers, changing SD cards, etc. Nothing would work. So I strongly suggest starting with the HS3 RPi2 image and simply installing your HS3 over the HS3 RPi version in that image. That's what finally worked for me.

I also use a Razberry Zwave GPIO card. More on that below.

MrHappy's Current Cost plug in will not work on Linux. That is the only part of my system that hasn't made it over to the RPi2 from Windows. Not sure why or if he'll update it, but as of last week when I checked, it didn't work. The HomeSeer Current Cost plugin also doesn't seem to work (at least not for me). There are errors in the logs and the CPU usage when this plugin is enabled is like tripled (common with multiple complaints on the board). So I'm living without Current Cost for now.
                  If you absolutely must have this, you need to consider this.

Can the optional internal Z-Wave add-on board be used rather than a USB stick which reduces the USB ports?
                  Yes, this is the route I chose to go, primarily to save a USB port. The Razberry GPIO card has a new version just out recently (500 series) so make sure you get that one as it is Z-Wave Plus. The only downside I see to this internal card is that you can't disconnect it and take it to a device. You could add a WiFi adapter but I haven't gone that route, but rather chose to use long CAT6 cables to get closer to devices needing closer proximity (like garage door openers).

I have tried downloading the http://1drv.ms/1DKWYW8 image but this fails about 20 seconds from the end. Tried on 3 different PCs using IE and Mozilla with and without Webroot protection.

Looked at the very comprehensive instructions from stefxx (bedankt) and SteveMSJ and many more I now want to take the plunge. I presume the download removes the need to modify the basic fresh install of Linux/Ubuntu/Despian/Noobs/Raspian etc.
                  As recommended above, start with the HS RPi2 image on the downloads page. That's the only thing that ever worked with my CM15a.

There are several good posts that will be useful on the board. I don't know most of the Linux commands myself but between the board and internet searches, I can eventually figure out how to do what I need to do.

Make sure you install Webmin. It makes things very easy for management and monitoring.

Go for it and take the plunge. Good luck!

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Jo View Post
                    I missed one question of yours. On storage capacity, this shouldn't be an issue. HS and the OS and tools will probably use up less than 4GB. I have 16GB Micro SD cards and actually wish they were 8GB (although the choices are fewer at local stores). You can get a 32GB card for cheap (maybe even < $15) on sale most anywhere each week. Just make sure it is a good quality card, good name brand, and is Class 10+. The faster the better. The only downside to the larger cards is that you're encouraged to take image snapshots of your cards (I use w32DiskImager) and the larger the card is the longer it takes and the more space it takes on your backup system. 32GB, or probably even 16GB, would be plenty to store many surveillance images. Or you could always write them off to NAS to avoid the wear and tear on the SD card.

I started with a Samsung EVO 16GB which was recommended. Although I occasionally had boot up issues (had to repower the device several times for the card to be seen and boot). I had to do a checkdisk on the boot partition via Windows to recover it a couple times. I'm now using a 16GB PNY Turbo Class 10 UHS-1 and haven't had any issues. It is model P-SDU16GU190G-GE. $9.99 on sale at Frys.

Comment

Just a quickie note here relating to the hardware of the RPi2.

It is not a supercomputer in that it is only running at 900Mhz on 4 cores and only has 1Gb of internal memory.

That said where can you find a computer like this for $35 USD.

Here currently testing one RPi2 with RTC PiFace clock, GPIO Z-Wave Plus card and one USB 1-wire network stick in the attic via POE.

Quickie round numbers here.

1 - RPi2 $35.00 USD
                      2 - RPi2 power supply $5.95
                      3 - RPi2 PiFace Clock $12.00
                      4 - RPi2 GPIO card $50.00
                      5 - RPi2 case $5.95
                      6 - RPi2 base OS - Free
                      7 - RPi2 Homeseer3 Zee-2 Software
                      ================================
                      Price minus HS3 software = $108.90

With the new Intel Baytrail with capacitance screen you get Windows, RTC plus the cost of a USB Z-Wave + stick (note that it runs Ubuntu faster than Windows).

1 - Intel Baytrail PiPoX8 (with case, power supply, capacitance screen, NIC, WLAN, Bluetooth, RTC and Windows XX) $120.00 USD
                      2 - Homeseer Z-Wave Plus stick - $36.05
                      3 - HS3 software.
                      ================================
                      Price minus HS3 software = $156.05

Intel Haswell PC price was documented in the DIY build.

I haven't yet melted the RPI2 in the attic yet.

It can do a bunch running Homeseer 3 but you can take it over the edge running with hundreds of variables, events and so forth.

Homeseer 3 Zee-2 version which allows for up to 5 devices is really optimal for the RPi2 as long as you do not push it.

Here is a quickie comparision between the RPi2, Intel Baytrail and Intel Haswell relating to running HS3.

Note with the Intel Baytrail the price includes a Windows OS and nothing else. The Intel Baytrail CPU runs Ubuntu 64 bit faster than Windows 10 32 bit.

Will boot up the Baytrail in to Ubuntu 64 bit to do an apples for apples thing. (well it is still ARM versus Intel CPU).
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Pete; August 16, 2015, 02:21 PM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thank you all for your help and advice.

One question remains what are the differences between Linux, Ubuntu, Raspian, Noobs, Daspian or any others I have not mentioned?

I have managed to download Rpi2-4Gb.zip. Is this a good basis to learn.

I have ordered my Raspberry plus several 8Gb cards but will order several 16Gb cards.

Thanks

jo

Comment

The RPi2 Zee-2 is a standard Wheezy Linux build.

Rob Mason posted a good starter image a while ago here or you can just download the HS image for the Zee-2.

I do not know where on the forum Rob's image is right now on a quick search.

Note if you use the HS image; it is not meant to be OS updated rather it is a plug n play image with image recovery built in.

Easy maintenance is using Webmin. Personally you do want to keep your RPi2 updated.

Try both images; IE: put one image on one SD card and the other on another SD card. Keep a backup of your HS3 directory off of the SD card.

Here on my Homeseer 3 box on the iSeries the base OS is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS sans a bunch of stuff and plus Windows Server in a VB.

The base HS3 is running in Linux and suppliemental HS3 stuff is running on the Wintel server VB.

Issue is right now that most current version of the Wheezy Mono will not work with HS3 so you have to freeze it at one version of Mono which is easy to do.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

MrHappy's Current Cost plug in will not work on Linux. That is the only part of my system that hasn't made it over to the RPi2 from Windows. Not sure why or if he'll update it, but as of last week when I checked, it didn't work. The HomeSeer Current Cost plugin also doesn't seem to work (at least not for me). There are errors in the logs and the CPU usage when this plugin is enabled is like tripled (common with multiple complaints on the board). So I'm living without Current Cost for now.
                            If you absolutely must have this, you need to consider this.
                            It is the only plugin that would prevent me updating! Just to explain, I have said this before but just for info;

My plugin uses the System.IO.Ports class for serial port communication, as part of that class there is an event handler that is raised whenever the serial data reaches a character, which is usually the line feed/carriage return (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...v=vs.110).aspx). When the serial data arrives and reaches this character it raises this event, I can then make efforts to parse the serial data to extract the relevant information.

MONO (probably for reasons of the fact that people don't really use serial ports before or if they do on Linux they do it with some native code) do not implement this event (http://www.mono-project.com/archived...systemioports/). This then means the plugin just sits there and does not realise that there is data available to deal with.

HS say that they changed their code to cater for this so I thought - OK then I will cheat just for Linux and combine the plugin with a script, use hs.opencomport and then pass the data from the script into the plugin. Fine in principle but the commands do not support Linux because Linux have string serial port names, a Bugzilla reporting this bug here http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=1457 and the fix was apparently going to be done "pretty quickly", that was 11 months ago. The bug itself being reported 20 months ago.

The answer is probably to run a thread, sit in that thread and try and read the port to establish whether or not the termination character is there. I made changes to determine the OS type and if it was Linux then I started this thread. I then tried testing it and I only have the facility to try and run a Linux install in a VM. I loaded VMWare player and what do you know, I cannot get the COM port to pass through at all and no serial ports appear to be presented. I have no other testing facilities and I am not buying a R-Pi just for testing when there is not necessarily a guarantee what I have written will work or whether or not I could ever get it to work.

What I am very cautious of is the limited processing power of the Pi and the fact that there is some increased use on the HS released version may even be as a result of a similar thread running in the background I don't know. Threading is not something I know anything about and I am worried that if I am somewhat lax in the code of a thread that run every 500ms that it could cause some issues.

There was an additional little issue with the SQLite library but I think I fixed that last time I was messing.

So at the minute it will sit at Windows only...

Me as well there would be little point changing to Linux with the PED issues would potentially prevent my database being copied from Windows to Linux and I don't really want to create events/devices again.

Comment

Dummy Progress

Thought I would post an update after receiving my Raspberry Pi2 B+ and 4 x 16Gb SD class 10 cards

Having done lots of research and been given some very helpful advice here and on the rest of the forum.

I had problems downloading the original Pi2 image (http://1drv.ms/1DKWYW8) around 20 seconds before the end. Got someone else to download onto their PC and unzipped and using Win32DiskImager created a 16Gb SD card with all I needed.

Connected Pi2 to LAN and temporary installed mouse, keyboard and screen. Powered up and eventually could log in using root, pi and homeseer.

Followed by sudo apt-get install mono-complete. Not sure how to check if this is the right version or not.

I went straight into wget http://homeseer.com/updates3/hs3_linux_3_0_0_182.tar.gz followed after with the tar zxvf ~hs3_linux_3_0_0_182.tar.gz command

Used the first post and typed all the commands. There are a few typo such as HomeSeer should be homeseer but all was well. I then used vi to change the dhcp address to a static one. Having used vi in the 80's my nightmares returned! :q!

Re-booted and saw 'Homeseer is starting...' . I tested the install, using Putty and via a web browser on port 80 (your ip address:80). You need to check your router for ip address if using dhcp. All seems well but I cannot register either of my licenses. Expect a reply from support.

Phase 2 is next. I have decided to start from a fresh install and enter all my events and may improve them. I have a simple system both X10, Z-Wave and provisionally W800. Curtains open/close, lights on/off, Record camera on motion, switch lights on when luminosity reaching a minimum level.

Not sure at what point I have to change my location to UK date, time and numbers. Or if there are any OS updates I should consider. Also need to find a way to copy my MASTER SD card. Solved using Win32DiskImager created a Raspberry.img file.

Hope it helps someone.

Jo
                              Last edited by Jo; August 22, 2015, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X