HS3 doesn't run in windows start folder at startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 doesn't run in windows start folder at startup

I am at my wits end. I have gone through the now clunky process of finding the start folder, and added a shortcut to HS3 any app I put there runs except HS3.

I also read that Win8 won't run apps set as run as administrator, so I have deselected that option in both the shortcut and app properties.

The problem with putting it in the start folder is that you have to log in to run it. If your system reboots for some reason and you are away it does not start. A better way is to create a task in the task scheduler to start it when the system starts up.

Click on the start button then type taskschd in the search box then click Create task... on the right hand side. Next fill out the tabs something like I have done below.
    Attached Files

Comment

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Policies\System]
      "EnableLUA"=dword:00000000

This worked for me

Comment

I had the same problem. I solved it by making af startHS.cmd and used that instead.

StartHS.cmd:
        cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3"
        HS3.exe

Regards
        Morten

Comment

I just took the easy way

Downloaded and ran UACPass.
          Works well on both Windows 10 and 7 for me.
          Almost idiot proof.

Comment

The technique in post #2 by JMJones did not work for me on windows 8 platform... I will try another of the options mentions here

Comment

Running Win 10 Pro 64 bit, this almost works - HS3 starts but I am logging this message 3 times:

ASP.Net page: Could not load file or assembly 'HomeSeerUtil, Version=3.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

This is the same error that is logged trying to run HS3 as a service but at least the task scheduler approach leaves HS3 running. So far, I haven't found an error in HS3 but I don't yet trust the approach. Does anyone else have any insight?

Thanks,

Comment

I used something similar to post 2 on Win 8.1 Pro. UAC is disabled. I have no problems and it runs fine on its own at every boot without having to log in at all. The Windows installation was built up from scratch, with default configuration, other than disabling UAC. I installed HS on a drive other than C as that is how I like to configure it, and set up the scheduled tasks to start HS. It does work.

Comment

One other change, that I just thought about this morning, which you really should do if you set HS to autostart, is to disable the HS updater. When HS starts, it runs a separate updater exe to see if there are any updates available. If there are any updates that you have not applied, then HS will pop up a message regarding them, which will of course halt the startup. To avoid this, just rename HS3Updater.exe to HS3Updater.exe.bak in the Homeseer program directory. Any time you actually do download and apply a Homeseer update, this updater will get put back again, so don't forget to rename this file again after each update (main program updates, not individual plugin updates).

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
                    One other change, that I just thought about this morning, which you really should do if you set HS to autostart, is to disable the HS updater. When HS starts, it runs a separate updater exe to see if there are any updates available. If there are any updates that you have not applied, then HS will pop up a message regarding them, which will of course halt the startup. To avoid this, just rename HS3Updater.exe to HS3Updater.exe.bak in the Homeseer program directory. Any time you actually do download and apply a Homeseer update, this updater will get put back again, so don't forget to rename this file again after each update (main program updates, not individual plugin updates).
                    There's an option now under setup where you can disable automatic checks for updates. No need to rename the file anymore.

Cheers
                    Al
                    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Wow, thanks. I had not realized they added that.

Comment

Startup HS3 shouldn't be this hard....

I have been working on this for a few hours and can't get this to work. I want to start HS3 v 208 on a scheduled reboot

I created a .cmd file

StartHS.cmd

HS3.ex

If I run as administrator from the desktop it successfully opens HS3 and Speaker

However if I try to create a Scheduled Task and run the task. HS3 or the Speaker is not seen on the desktop. The Odd part is when I open the Task Manager HS3 shows up as running, yet it's desktop window is not accessible. I can access the system with my web browser and make live changes to events or view any devices status .

Click image for larger version

Name:	HS3 CMD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1182371

I had the same result if I created a Scheduled Task and tried to launch HS3.exe

Name:	HS3 Scheduler.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1182372

Also tried this without any success

Name:	HS3 LUA.jpg
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1182375

I could really use some pointers here.
                        Last edited by devoir; December 19, 2015, 06:02 PM. Reason: update steps

Comment

Originally posted by devoir View Post
                          I have been working on this for a few hours and can't get this to work. I want to start HS3 v 208 on a scheduled reboot

I created a .cmd file

StartHS.cmd

HS3.ex

If I run as administrator from the desktop it successfully opens HS3 and Speaker

However if I try to create a Scheduled Task and run the task. HS3 or the Speaker is not seen on the desktop. The Odd part is when I open the Task Manager HS3 shows up as running, yet it's desktop window is not accessible. I can access the system with my web browser and make live changes to events or view any devices status .

[ATTACH]50663[/ATTACH]

I had the same result if I created a Scheduled Task and tried to launch HS3.exe

[ATTACH]50664[/ATTACH]

Also tried this without any success

[ATTACH]50667[/ATTACH]

I could really use some pointers here.
                          There should be an option in the task schedule that says "Run only when the user is logged on". It must be checked for a task to interact with the desktop.

Comment

I have found the easiest method by far is to use Startup Delayer from R2 Studios. It is free. I have deployed it on dozens of Windows 10 (and earlier version) machines and it is by far the easiest solution. I also add about a 15 second delay so that the O/S has time to settle down before starting HS3. This is especially useful for Virtual Serial Port Emulators and other background tasks that should be up and running before HomeSeer starts. I don't delay the other programs, just HS. I also set UAC to the minimum setting.

I also usually have it password protected but to startup without using a password using netplwiz.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by randy; December 19, 2015, 08:43 PM.
                            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
                              There should be an option in the task schedule that says "Run only when the user is logged on". It must be checked for a task to interact with the desktop.
                              But that would defeat the OP's objective: to start HS3 at boot up.

Comment

Working...
                              X