Automating a new Samsung TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automating a new Samsung TV

I just bought a JS8500, so of course, I've been thinking about how to automate it. After a few hours of research I've learned:

IP Control:
    It seems like most Samsungs can't be powered on via ethernet, although I'm not sure if that's just primarily with older models (most discussions I've found are a few years or more older). I haven't yet found any information confirming that's the case with current models. Also, people seem to complain that IP commands change almost every year.

IR Control:
    This seems to usually be the safe bet, but I tend to find IR control the least reliable (not that I have experience with remote IR control of TVs).

EX-Link port:
    Those that have successfully implemented this seem to favor this approach, assuming one can find the commands and how to send them. They've talked about using a 3.5mm to Serial cable combined with a global cache component.

So, I guess I'm asking... Has anyone had good success with automating current model samsungs? If so, what methods are you using? What hardware, and using any plugins?

My primary use will be for turning on the set and switching to various inputs. I've already tested out the DirecTV plugin and that works well, I just have to automate the part of getting to the DirecTV screen. That and maybe automatically getting to the built in netflix app or something.

I haven't automated mine yet, but I plan to experiment using serial control. Since I don't have any extra twisted pair running near the TV, I'm going to go wireless. Global cache seems WAY too expensive for what it does, so I'm going to roll my own with a Photon. It's a $19 programmable microcontroller similar to Arduino with WiFi. I have a couple of them but haven't yet found the time to play.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I control our few Samsung TVs through the exlink together with IR. The reason, if I am recalling correctly, is that some of the commands for the Smart TV features are not available through the exlink jack. So when possible, I send the command via exlink, and for the few other commands, through the IR. You can find the cables for exlink cheap on Amazon.

Edit: Here is the cable.
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IY4L86
      Last edited by Automated; November 10, 2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
        some of the commands for the Smart TV features are not available through the exlink jack.
        I did read about some users having that problem, I think it was a thread in the Creston forums, saying the Creston drivers could do pretty much everything through the Ex-Link, but couldn't open up the smart apps menu. No one seemed to know if it was a problem with the Creston drivers or the ex-link port.

Though, I also saw some talk of some models having a command that can launch Netflix (and maybe some other apps) directly, without having to navigate through the smart apps menu. Again, no idea if my model supports any of that.

I think I'll give the ex-link port a go, and then maybe combine that with IP if need to. I've also read that ex-link provides two-way communication whereas IP is one way... so that's something I'd like as well.

Do you know if there exists any good sites/forums that keep update information on commands and their format?

Comment

It is as you wrote. My TV needs IR control for opening some smart app screens. I do not recall any web sites with the codes, but they may exist. I used an exlink protocol document to generate my commands. If I recall correctly, I used a Global Cache capture device to collect my IR remote codes. I use UltraGCIR for the IR interface and the IP/Serial plugin for the exlink interface.
          Last edited by Automated; November 10, 2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Albeit my TV was much older (2007) I had no joy at all with the Ex-Link jack - even though it had the port it appeared to not accept or understand any data and I think I read that some models had the port but not for any user control. Wish I would've carried on with a Samsung now, got an LG with a very painful interface method...it hosts a USB>Serial adaptor that is locked down to a supported and relatively rare VID/PID, joy.

Comment

Hi DevinH,

If you have ever heard of KODI or formerly XBMC, found here:http://kodi.tv/about/ then look at this kit here:https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter
              Kodi is a free program which will bring joy to you and family. But if find that it's not for you then look at this kit here: http://www.kwikwai.com/

For the KWIKWAI you are going to need good programing skills. How they work with HomeSeer? For Pulse Eight HDMI-cec(easiest) connects interlinked through of course HDMI cable and the settings inside KODI and you are ready to go. So create events in HomeSeer to WOL your HTPC
              connected to your TV and your Amp. Everything start up together with the correct imput in the Amp. Vice-Vasa your remote can power on/off everything and control the KODI interface. For ready built KODI HTPCs look at Vidabox.com or Amazon
              You can also WIfi control KODI with XBMC Constellation For iPad/iPhone by FSS.cc and also the all so cool XBMC plugin for HomeSeer.

Again if you still think KODI is not for you, then it's time to do some programing with the KWIKWAI HDMI-cec. I think you can also look at this IP / Serial Plugin for HS3 (by "drule") found here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...17#post1132517

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Eman
              Last edited by Eman; November 10, 2015, 02:11 PM.
              TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
                Albeit my TV was much older (2007) I had no joy at all with the Ex-Link jack - even though it had the port it appeared to not accept or understand any data and I think I read that some models had the port but not for any user control. Wish I would've carried on with a Samsung now, got an LG with a very painful interface method...it hosts a USB>Serial adaptor that is locked down to a supported and relatively rare VID/PID, joy.
                I am using the Ex-link serial connection to power on my 2009 and 2012 models, using drule's Serial / IP plugin. I have a custom RJ45 to 3.5mm stereo cable on the TV end and run this over a direct CAT5 to Node Zero, where I have a custom RJ45 to Serial cable going to an IP/serial server. I then use dcorsus's MediaController to control them via IP. PITA but it works.

I do not know whether switching on is easier in the newer models, but I was playing with my Father-in-Law's 2015 model over the weekend and they have completely replaced the OS. I believe it's now a version of Android. They have also switched the ARC port to HDMI 4 from HDMI 2. This is causing mayhem with integrators (those that haven't already dumped Samsung) and hobbyists alike, as Samsung has failed to provide a working discrete command for HDMI4. Nobody, including the likes of Logitech and many individuals have been able to extract a working command from Samsung. It's all over Logitech, AVS and Remote Central forums. I tried all afternoon yesterday and am now waiting for a 'technical email response', which I suspect was just a way of getting me off the chat that I'd been hammering them on for 4 hours!

So, if anyone is looking to integrate new Sammy TVs into HS or even a Harmony or other programmable, activity based remote, I would seriously give it a 2nd thought for now.

In the unlikely event that I make any headway with this, I will update here
                cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                X