No announcement yet.

Start With Windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's good news. I think there must be an issue if you use NSSM then.
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
      Would you try my test above please (call Test.aspx in HS3 Web server)
      Yes... good here. But again, what's it suppose to do? It won't turn on my lights - whichever that one is/how specified
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

OK, now that I'm thoroughly confused...

First, do I take it correctly that the startup folder only works on programs installed in the regular Programs folder, and not the Programs x86? That may explain some of my other (non-HS) problems. But this would require an uninstall/reinstall, which I don't really have time nor stomach for.

Second, do I recall correctly that starting a program as a service makes it start and run at boot-up, even if no one logs in? This doesn't affect me, as I have my Windows 8 set to log in to the admin account automatically. But am I correct that I can still run it as a service and it will work?

Third, do I take it correctly that this problem is due to changes in Windows (starting with 7?), and not any oversight on the part of the HS3 wizards?

So to review, my choices are:
        1. Reinstall HS3 to Programs folder, and place icon in Startup folder
        2. Use "AlwaysUp" or "Fire Demon" to make HS3 a service.
        3. Create a scheduled task

Which is the easiest, least time-consuming...most recommended?

Jim Speiser
        38-year veteran of Home Automation
        Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
          OK, now that I'm thoroughly confused...

First, do I take it correctly that the startup folder only works on programs installed in the regular Programs folder, and not the Programs x86? That may explain some of my other (non-HS) problems. But this would require an uninstall/reinstall, which I don't really have time nor stomach for.

Second, do I recall correctly that starting a program as a service makes it start and run at boot-up, even if no one logs in? This doesn't affect me, as I have my Windows 8 set to log in to the admin account automatically. But am I correct that I can still run it as a service and it will work?

Third, do I take it correctly that this problem is due to changes in Windows (starting with 7?), and not any oversight on the part of the HS3 wizards?

So to review, my choices are:
          1. Reinstall HS3 to Programs folder, and place icon in Startup folder
          2. Use "AlwaysUp" or "Fire Demon" to make HS3 a service.
          3. Create a scheduled task

Which is the easiest, least time-consuming...most recommended?
          You would not have to re-install HS3 in the Program files folder it could be done using the unreg and reall.bat files ( intructions can be found here http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=114324 )although this post was written for HS2 it should worrk.

after all is unregistered simply copy HS3 over to Program files and run regall

If you try this please post and let us know if it does work
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

And you should avoid "Program Files" since that is also a system folder where you shouldn't write user data or configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by HaPe View Post
              And you should avoid "Program Files" since that is also a system folder where you shouldn't write user data or configurations.
              s are you suggesting instal into c:

I understand that thinking
              sigpic
              A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
                You would not have to re-install HS3 in the Program files folder it could be done using the unreg and reall.bat files ( intructions can be found here http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=114324 )although this post was written for HS2 it should worrk.

after all is unregistered simply copy HS3 over to Program files and run regall

If you try this please post and let us know if it does work
                What? "Step 3: Re-install the OS"? Are you kidding? I'm here because I'm too lazy and pressed for time to manually turn on a light switch. I'm going to re-install Windows? No thanks.

Jim Speiser
                Still don't know squat

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
                  What? "Step 3: Re-install the OS"? Are you kidding? I'm here because I'm too lazy and pressed for time to manually turn on a light switch. I'm going to re-install Windows? No thanks.
                  No do not re-instal the OS, it was written for people doing a re-install, skip the parts that are not relevant
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
                    No do not re-instal the OS, it was written for people doing a re-install, skip the parts that are not relevant
                    So what's the relevant part, just the little .bat file at the end? ...I think I'll just try a scheduled task, but thanks anyway.

Jim Speiser
                    Still don't know squat

Comment

So on windows 10, I chose the the scheduled task option. And while it does start HS3, there are issues. Everything is sluggish, events get missed randomly and my connections to HStouch drop from time to time. Yet if I close HS3 and reopen it manually everything runs fine.

I totally agree that it shows very poor form that a program that is OBVIOUSLY designed to be running 24/7 not have an option to start on reboot. If the programmers hired for this project couldn't figure out how to do it, then they shouldn't be in the business. Every day I am reminded why I should never have upgraded to HS3. Such an expensive disappointment. Honestly I only did it because I couldn't get rid of the nag to upgrade the HSTouch app on my phone because if I let it update I would no longer be able to use it.
                      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition
                      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
                      Processor Type and Speed: i7 - 3.26 GHz
                      Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                        Yes... good here. But again, what's it suppose to do? It won't turn on my lights - whichever that one is/how specified
                        It should control your lights....perhaps it is not working correctly?

Can you run HS3 normally and try again?
                        Jon

Comment

Don;t know if anyone wants to try this, but here's how I do it.

Copy attached vbs file into hs3 folder & change extension to .vbs

Create a shortcut to this file in Startup Folder (Run shell:common startup)

Edit the VBS & set timeout to whatever you want - that gives the PC time to load all drivers etc...

Cheers
                          Scott
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ScottRennie View Post
                            Don;t know if anyone wants to try this, but here's how I do it.

Copy attached vbs file into hs3 folder & change extension to .vbs

Create a shortcut to this file in Startup Folder (Run shell:common startup)

Edit the VBS & set timeout to whatever you want - that gives the PC time to load all drivers etc...

Cheers
                            Scott
                            Looks interesting. Does it require a user to be logged on?

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
                              Looks interesting. Does it require a user to be logged on?
                              Yes it needs someone logged on, but I have my box set to automatically logon the user on startup.

Cheers
                              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by ScottRennie View Post
                                Yes it needs someone logged on, but I have my box set to automatically logon the user on startup.

Cheers
                                Scott
                                Thought so - thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X