Tips for sucessful multi-mic VR installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for sucessful multi-mic VR installation

Here is some advice I thought might be helpful for those of you installing (or contemplating) a whole-house VR installation using multiple microphones. I've been a heavy implementer/user of VR for over 4 years now and here is some of what I've learned.

HARDWARE:
    I use a combination of Crown PZM-11 and Crown MB-3 microphones installed throughout the house connected to Gentner AP800 microphone mixers that are designed for teleconferencing applications. The older series Gentner MPA & Peoplelink mixers work equally as well, but lack some of the additional features on the AP800 such as matrix mixing and better software management (cool stuff, but not required for good VR). I originally started with 8-mics connected to Biamp Advantage mixer and gate equipment. This worked quite well too, but my VR system has expanded and been upgraded as I've moved and re-installed 3 times now. Others are using the Shure SCM-810 mixer with good results. Much of the hardware is detailed in this current thread in the hardware category:

Link to post containing hardware info & some photos

INSTALLATION:
    Mic placement is a trial and error kind of thing. I've never installed into ceilings as this seems to be against all the "best common practices" I found in my research. The PZM mics are a boundary mic and rely on the surrounding wall surface to function properly... most of mine are mounted 6-8 feet up on the wall near the center. Mounting close to door openings/windows is not recommended and other substantial wall hugging things like book cases, large pictures/artwork may also interfere.

The other big consideration is to keep them away from noise makers like HVAC vents, ticking clocks, refrigerators, etc. The mics are very sensitive and will easily pick up noise from such devices (a PZM-11 installed in a wall that has a computer placed against it will pick up the fan and drive noise easily even if located 10-15 feet away!). Don't be scared though, just play around... I actually mounted my first PZM-11 in a 4' x 4' piece of 1/2" plywood so I could move it around the rooms and experiment. I spent a few weeks moving it around before cutting any holes in the walls and this helped me find spots that worked the best...

Also keep in mind where you will most often be standing/sitting when you issue voice commands in each the room. If you spend a lot of time on a sofa or chair in your living room... it would be best to have the mic located in the opposing wall across from you rather than in the wall behind your head (even if it's closer by distance). Also think about your walking patterns and what direction you might be walking when issuing commands while on the move. For instance, if a bedroom has only one entrance door from a hallway, you'll be better off placing the mic in the bedroom wall you are facing as
    you walk into the room. This will help pick up your voice as you are walking down the hall towards the room and eliminate dead spots. If you placed the same mic on the opposite wall of the bedroom, it probably won't pick up well until you are already in the room.

TUNING:
    Take things in baby steps to get started... I would recommend plugging in a single mic through your mic mixer to your sound card and use the "Sound Recorder" app that's included with Windows (or similar recording app as Sound Recorder will only allow 60secs recording time) to record the audio that is coming through... this is a great way to check the quality of the sound before attempting VR. Once you have the basics working and have installed multiple microphones around the house use the recording application again to help tune your microphones and make adjustments to your mixing hardware's mic level, gating, etc. When I was tuning my house, I would start the recorder and then walk through the entire house while continually talking and speaking my location, orientation and direction of travel. Playing back these recordings provides significant clues as to the coverage you are getting from your mics as well as possible noise sources that may interfere with good VR.

Example Banter:

"I'm standing in the kitchen facing the sink, now I'm turning and walking towards the living room, I am now sitting on the couch, I am now walking down the hall past the office door and towards the bedroom, I am now standing in the bedroom, I am now sitting on the bed. I'm now walking from the bedroom past the guest bath and into the office facing the computer. I am now sitting at the computer."

Once you have mics installed throughout the house this is invaluable to adjust levels, etc. When you play back the recording you will be able to tell where you voice is too loud or soft, also if there is any echo/reverberation as well as the general sound quality (am I picking up background noise from a fan, PC, or dishwasher that is interfering). Once you have what sounds like a good clear voice on the recordings in all areas you wish to issue voice commands from, then start with your VR. I used a wireless notebook terminal serviced to my HS server while doing the VR training. This allowed me to walk around the house while reading the training text so it was picked up from multiple mics and seemed to help as well.

Once everything was tuned I'm seeing ~95% VR accuracy with approximately 90% coverage including the garage on a 2800Sq ft two story house with only 12 mics. I listen to the TV and stereo at low volumes and have found that I can even issue VR commands while these are playing, but accuracy is probably around 80-85%.

ENVIRONMENT:
    I'm finding that this is one of the biggest factors that contributes to a successful VR installation. Your homes construction, surfaces, and furnishings will play a big role in how well VR works with multiple open air microphones. I'm working right now to re-install whole house VR in my current home and am battling to get things dialed back as they were at my previous homes. The new house has hardwood & tile flooring, Open wood ceilings, and solid walls of glass for many exterior walls (still furnished sparsely too). It's a charming place, but a harsh environment for VR! I'm finding that getting reliability up for commands is a challenge compared to previous homes that were carpeted, full of furniture, art and curtains. Seems that part of my VR install will include some home decorating as well.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by pkoslow; April 7, 2005, 10:43 AM.

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
    Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Thanks, Paul, that was very helpful!

--David

Comment

Thankyou that was very interesting VR is going to be one of my future projects

Tim Warner

Comment

I just got an Acoustic Magic mic (uses the line-in on your soundcard), but ran into a little snag. I want to put it in my living room, but my HS server is downstairs. I tried running it over cat 5 which obviously didn't work (I tried anyways as I had no problems using 1 pair for my PC speakers). So what's the cheapest solution to get my mic input to the HS machine? The cat5 drop is about 50ft, but I can run new wiring if needed, just need to know what kind. Do I need to get an amp? If so, what's the cheapest amp available? Thanks
        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
        (aka xplosiv)
        Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Acoustic Magic mic, but expect that it has a 1/8" phono plug for the output. What you will need is shielded cable designed for "line Level" audio.

At 50ft, you may have luck finding a "extension" cable with male and female ends that's premade for the 1/8" jacks. I've seen them before at the electronics stores (Radio Shack, etc.) but may have only been 25-30ft.

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
          Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

floowoing reading this is found an AP800 on ebay and ordered. it. looking forward to playing with it
            detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

It arrived today the ar800. any chance of soem tips on configuring it and connecting it . for 1 mic at first
              detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

humm having problems with getting HS to even reconise the attention phrase.

uner voice recognition i have then enable box checked and mircosoft english reconizer 5.1 is selected. ther attention phrase "wake up claire" is in the attention box. the boes " speak reconized commands and all commands require confirmation are checked. the always listen for commands is unchecked.

speaking the attention phrise dosnt seem to work at all. using the sound recorder i can recoded my voice and it sounds ok \does anyone have any sugestions?

Comment

here is a sample from sound recorder. not sure if this should be clear enougth for it to reconise the spoken words
                  Attached Files

Comment

Have you tried any of the Microsoft VR training? It should at least be able to recognize most of what you are saying without repeating. You can get to it from the HS GUI under Tools/Voice Recognition Training.

Shorter attention phrases seem to work better, although they are more prone to misfiring. The less inflection in speaking is better. Talk like a computer, the computer will recognize you more easily Start and end words cleanly, but don't talk slowly, and don't shout, talk at a normal voice level. It takes some practice, and the VR training also helped me in understanding how to say things.

Bill

Comment

yes, once i trained it and changed the attenbtion phrase it started to work, and quite well. so far so good. ok off to play soem more

Comment

My problem has always been with the TV triggering HomeSeer. I use the AcousticMagic mike. With more mikes I worried about more false triggers. I've never found a happy medium between a complex enough trigger phrase that works reliably, and a nearby TV that doesn't trigger it often enough.

Also, does anyone have any good advice on how to adjust the "sensitivity" adjustments for VR? Also, when you have multiple mikes, how in the world do you train it? Seems that every mike would need its own training.

Comment

I ordered some pzm11 and a shure scm810. I plugged one in last night and got one working- but this should prove to be good advice for me doing multiple.

One question- what color are your pzm11s? Mine is a "bisc" color. Ie. not white like my wall switches- they are off white. This could prove to have very low WAF. Do they make them in pure white? If not- I will have to pull the olde "Wouldn't it be nice to get some bisc color wallplates to match the baseboards?" trick.

What about the speak back feature- what is everyone doing there?
                          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                          Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                          weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wpiman:
                            One question- what color are your pzm11s? Mine is a "bisc" color. Ie. not white like my wall switches- they are off white. This could prove to have very low WAF. Do they make them in pure white? If not- I will have to pull the olde "Wouldn't it be nice to get some bisc color wallplates to match the baseboards?" trick.
                            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wpiman... Agree 100% Now why couldn't they come from the factory in a color that matches... oh, anything (who has anything in Bisque?!?!)

I painted mine shiny gloss white to match! Obviously, you need to be super-careful! I placed a small piece of foam rubber in the mic opening, sprayed them at careful angles, and then removed the foam before everything dried and it works just fine.

Cheers,
                            Jcd

Comment

Actually, those microphones are made of a finish that was designed to be painted to match the interior. Thus go ahead and paint them, but do be cautious in doing so as jcd was.
                              Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
                              X