www.homeseer.com  

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer > General Discussion Area

General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old October 6th, 2004, 01:05 PM
OverSeer

Guys,
My PC at work is missing the Internet Time tab on date and time properties window. Any ideas why it would be available? I'm running XP Pro with SP2.
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Seer Master

Rupp, the Internet Time tab is not built in to the date and time properties window, but is added there by the time service. In the registry, make sure W32Time is listed under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\

Also make sure w32time.dll is in your System32 directory.
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Seer Deluxe

Your work computer is probably on a domain. Computers on domains sync the clocks automatically to the domain controller, not the internet. It may not get it quite right if your clock is quite a bit off though.
\was once at a customer site trying to figure this problem out for about a half hour
Old October 6th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Seer Deluxe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>work computer is probably on a domain <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and you're not really going to want to sync to a different clock. If you're in a windows domain that's using Active Directory it can be very picky about your computers time being more than a couple of minutes off of the domain controllers time. You'll see all sorts of sharing and logon/logoff errors.
Old October 6th, 2004, 07:34 PM
OverSeer

Rocco,
I have the W32Time service and it is running. This is odd. Any other suggestions?

Fireball this is a laptop and it is off the network as much as it is on so this is why I was looking for the tab.
Old October 6th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Seer Deluxe

As long as its set so that logging onto the domain is an option you won't see the internet time option. I would imagine that if you take it off the domain (actually take it off, not just log on locally) that the tab would reappear. I have seen some securtiy items that would still retain their domain settings after removing the machine from the domain but I'm pretty sure that the time option is one thing that will change.
Wasn't there a post somewhere on here about using third party apps for net time syncing? That's going to be your best bet for this as long as you have sufficient rights to install it on there.
Old October 6th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Seer Master

I have the tab on my work laptop, but it's a NT 4.0 domain, I do not have the tabs at home, where I run an AD based domain, so it looks like it depends on the type of domain you joined. Here is an interesting PDF about using NTP on a windows machine:

http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq.../win2000xp.pdf
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Seer Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by electron:
I have the tab on my work laptop, but it's a NT 4.0 domain, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Same here. NT4 domain, Internet Time tabs on all of my XPpro machines.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I do not have the tabs at home, where I run an AD based domain, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What is an AD based domain?
Old October 7th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Seer Master

Sorry, it means Active Directory (Windows 2000+), had a little geek moment there