No announcement yet.

FilterLinc 5Amp vs. 10Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve P:
    On a good note, they make very hackable modules.

I hacked my plug in modules to be inline modules and it went very well.

SteveP

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you tell me where I can find the hack to do that?

TIA
    Jim

Comment

Very interesting reading.

Have you looked at the 15 amp filter? Just kidding. I know it's a totally different model.

I also once asked Smarthome (a director level guy) about the pretty big price difference in the KeypadLincs (difference between the colors). They said that the white and blue diodes cost them a lot more than the amber ones. I seem to remember him saying that their cost was about a $1 more per diode ($6-$8 more per keypadlinc)....

Martin Custer
      Martin@AutomatedOutlet.com
      www.AutomatedOutlet.com
      Authorized HomeSeer Distributor
      Martin Custer

Comment

Radio Shack do have 10amp 'microwave oven' fuses. The part number is 270-1039 for a 4-pack that costs $2.49.

Comment

My 5 amp failed because the fuse failed... I underestimated the "start-up" draw and blow one. Once replaced with a 10amp all is well.

I too would like to see the hack.

Dennis
          Not too old to learn

Comment

I don't have any FilterLincs yet. How hard is it to open then to replace the fuses? Are they glued together, or screwed, or snap-apart?

Comment

Not as pretty but ...

Maybe the Act Homepro Filter's aren't as cool looking but the 15 Amp is $29.99 at AutomatedOutlet. I say just go that route.
              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

I guess I'll answer my own question. I have four 5A filterlincs and two 15A Homepro's on order. I'd have just ordered the Homepros, but they're out of stock at you-know-where.

Comment

We have plenty of the 15 amp HomePro filters in stock.
                  Martin Custer

Comment

The FilterLinc has 4 small screws in the back. No glue, no snaps, no tamper-resistant tape. It opens up easily.

The fuse is not designed to be replaced. It is held in by the fuseholder, which is of the through-hole soldered two-piece variety. It may be possible to bend the fuse holder with pliers, replace the fuse, and bend it back--but de-soldering one end of the holder looks like a better bet.

The circuit board can be removed with 4 more screws. It has some captive wires, so it doesn't come totally out, but it's easy enough to work on.

In fact, I may just replace the fuse holders entirely with the in-line type sold at radio shack. That way if I ever blow a fuse I can replace it easily.

I'd say that if your time is worth more than a few bucks an hour, this hack isn't worth it! Stick with the Homepro, which has an external, user-replacable fuse.
                    Last edited by Bicster; August 3, 2005, 01:59 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity

Comment

Ok, a few things:

The fuses are soldered into the fuse holders on my FilterLincs... So I removed the whole thing with some soldering wick and some flux. Then I added a fuse holder with pigtails. I soldered the pigtail leads to the back of the PCB because the holes weren't drilled out enough to accomodate the 14-gauge stranded wire pigtails. If you decide to do this, have a pair of vise-grips handy to hold the wire in place while you solder.

The Radio Shack 270-1217 "Heavy Duty In-Line Fuse Holder" looked promising, but a bit large, and the packaging did not give an AC current rating. (The web site says 250VAC @ 20A.) I ended up using the 270-1281 "Automotive In-Line Fuse Holder" which is rated 250VAC @ 10A. It's a bit smaller and fits well within the confines of the FilterLinc.

The fuses suggested by drule, Radio Shack 270-1039, do not fit the FilterLincs. The FilterLinc fuse is much smaller, probably a metric 5x20 fuse. The Radio Shack fuses are 1.25" inches. They do fit the fuse holders I mentioned above, however.

Everything works great. The modification took about 15 minutes.

Comment

They're apparently different enough that if you use the 5amp version on a Wine Cooler eventually the 5amp version no longer works

Comment

I have a 10 filterlink and had to open it up to have a look. The main power flow carried through the coils (donuts with copper wire wrapped around them) the gauge of this copper wire is what would make the biggest difference between the 5 amp and 10 amp units. I mic'd the 10 Amp unit I have. The wire diameter is .07 inches. Is it the same in the 5 Amp filter? and also, are the values of the capacitors the same?

Comment

As has been said already, the only difference between the 5A and 10A units is the fuse. The fuse is not designed to be replaced. If you blow the fuse, like wirebook did, then 'game over!'

I'd just skip the Smarthome filters altogether and go with the ACT ones. The ACT is a 15A unit, and has a fuse that can be replaced easily. They only cost a few bucks more, and you get the flexibility of being able to use them anywhere in your home.

Comment

FilterLinc circuit

Does anyone have the circuit to build a replica of the FilterLinc module? Seems like it should be pretty simple, and less than $40 for the 10amp?

Comment

I have a 10 amp for sale (new):
                                http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...546#post693546
                                Will save you a ton of effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X