www.homeseer.com

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Worldwide User Groups > Regional User Groups > UK/Europe

UK/Europe Discussions relating to the use of HomeSeer in the UK and Europe.

Old October 10th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Seer Deluxe

Anybody using this Shutter Switch?

I installed five units on five windows on my vacation home but I'm having some troubles to control.

No problem with UP (command ON) and DOWN (command OFF) but can't find a relliable way to move the shutter in beetween.

According to documentation when sending a Dim the shutter should go down 4%, and with bright 4% up, but what it does if I send a Dim command is the go down until I send another Dim command (the same for bright going up).

If I send a direct Dim value with the HomeSeer's "X10 Control" it looks to me like completly unpredictable.

I had a chat with the Intellihome pleople and they suggested me to ask here.

Thanks in advance.
Old October 10th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Seer Deluxe

You probably refer to the switch wich -among others- is sold as the Marmitek AW10 ()
Old October 10th, 2003, 08:54 AM
Seer Deluxe

Now for the complete answer:

You probably refer to the switch which is -among others- sold as the Marmitek SW10 (See Marmitek website).

I have no experience with this switch, but I do have experience with its brother, the LW11. If these two switches are based on the same chipset, you might have to set the shutter switch to "Leviton dim" in Homeseer. You can also programmatically "dim" the shutter using

hs.execX10 "Extended",x,49 with x as the dimlevel between 0 and 64.

Hope this helps,

Richard
Old October 10th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Seer Master

I'm using a SW10 to control a projector screen. In HS its defined as a 'Standard Dim' unit, and is wired so that off is up and on is down.

It behaves rather oddly when its dimmed to 10%, it seems to go down about halfway , i.e. 50%, then backs up to 10%. When its then dimmed to 20%, it performs a similar trick and comes down halfway, then goes up to 20%. When its dimmed to 80%, it goes fully down then back up to 80%.

What is really strange, is that if I have it fully down, i.e. ON, then dim it to 10%, it seems to have no idea what to do and goes to about 50%, then stays there. If I then send another dim to 10%, it goes down then back up to 50% again.

So the conclusion is that it seems to work OK if going from 'OFF' to a dim level, (if you ignore its little detour to 50%), but when going from 'ON' to a dim level, it is a complete mess.

Going first to OFF then to the dim level you want seems to work every time.

Richard, it must be a different chipset from the LW11, it doesn't seem able to work at all when its set to 'Leviton dim'
Old October 10th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Seer Deluxe

Thanks Richard and Michael for your answers.

I tried the LW11's extended codes as well and the SW10 didn't responds.

I'm sure the SW10 supports some others "secret" extended codes. In fact the people at IntelliHome told me but didn't told me witch codes.

Michael: I tried the standard Dim levels, starting from ON and OFF (all UP and all DOWN oposite to your setup :-? ) and mine doesnt work properly with any starting possition.

Tomorrow with the day ligth I will switch off the main fuse to try to "reset" the SW10 and program again.

I wonder if someone managed to control it the way we all imagine it should work.

Also I sent another email to intellihome asking for help. Lets see if they come with the fix.

Mario.
Old October 10th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Seer Deluxe

Using the document "Standard" and "Extended" X-10 Code Formats" from X10 inc. (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ncherr...x10.xtc797.txt) I found out that by sending extended codes the movement is a little more reliable.

You can try hs.ExecX10 "M04","Extended",x,3 changing x with the level you want the shutter open (low numbers between aprox 3 and 25). Change the "M04" with your Husecode and Unitcode but maintain the "0" in the Unitcode (if needed) as it appears to make some diference.

Starting from fully closed (OFF) I'm getting good results. Not always as good starting from fully open (ON).

I will let you know if I find out some thing more or intellihome answer my email with some usefull information.

Regards.

Mario.
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Seer

I used the shuttersitch in my old house controling a projector screen.

And if I remember correctly I had to adjust the shutter switch when the screen was up and when it
was down (so the switch only knew for how long time it was suposed to stay on).

So I think that it worked like this:
If I sent a On command it would connect to the
screen motor for say 6 seconds.
And if I sent a dim 50% command it would connect
to the motor for 3 seconds.

So I guess that it is almost impossible to get the shutterswitch and curtains/screens to work reliable with dim commands because the screen/curtain might go a little bit longer in one direction than the other.