Upgraded to HomeSeer 3.0.0.298 from 3.0.0.218

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded to HomeSeer 3.0.0.298 from 3.0.0.218

Over the last week, I upgraded HomeSeer to version 3.0.0.298 from version 3.0.0.218. I am running Windows 10, 16GB of RAM and HomeSeer is the only application on the server. The server is a ASUS VM42-S075V. The upgrade went well with no issues. The system started up and ran, well better than I expected... I have a series of test that I ran after an upgrade and all completed with no issues. Then of course some time went by and a strange thing happened. The issue appears to be related to events... after some time, I noticed that none of my events were running, so I looked at the system and noticed that HomeSeer was using roughly 50% of the CPU continuously. I tested a few things, tried controlling Zwave devices, these worked with no issues... I was also able to control Insteon devices via the device management page... if I controlled a switch locally (Insteon or Zwave), HomeSeer was updated immediately. I have two Ardiuino UNOs that monitor 20 DS18B20 temperature sensors and have several inputs and outputs, these were still working well. I started looking at events and tried copying one this did not work...

I restarted HomeSeer and all was well for a number of hours and then the same thing happens all over again. I can usually get around 8 or so hours before events stop executing, however sometimes it might be a little longer or shorter just depends on... well I have no clue really. I reverted back to HomeSeer 3.0.0.218 and the system does not have this issue... I go back to HomeSeer 3.0.0.298 and the problem is back. No errors in the HomeSeer log...

I am really at a loss. Anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks
    Billy

Have you 'browsed' in task manager to see which process(es) are hogging cpu use?

I might be tempted to disable interfaces one by one and see if one of those is the culprit

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
      Have you 'browsed' in task manager to see which process(es) are hogging cpu use?

I might be tempted to disable interfaces one by one and see if one of those is the culprit
      I have, it is the HS3.exe process. I plan on disabling plug-ins tonight. The number of plugins running, is quite small and from what I can tell, seem to function without any problem. The only issue at this point appears to be with the HomeSeer event engine. Events will not run even if manually kicked off, after some time passes... I also cannot copy an event.
      Billy

Comment

I run 3.0.0.307 and have the same issues.
        After a few hours some events don't run anymore.
        Restarting HS solves the problem.
        Sometimes it is only 2 or 3 hours, sometimes 1 or 2 days.
        Peter

http://ohh.pcgsm.nl

Comment

I'm on .297 - haven't seen any issues!

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
            I'm on .297 - haven't seen any issues!
            I was on .297 for a while and now on .304 and have not seen this issue. I'm wondering if an upgrade with that large of a "jump" between versions is related? Perhaps something changed in between that the latest versions require to be there. I would also check for .net issues and run a repair on it.

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Here still running V.291 on HS3 Pro / Zee (Linux) with no issues at this time.

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.291 (Linux)
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.291
              HSTouch Server 3.0.0.94 (both computers)
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by peterpc View Post
                I run 3.0.0.307 and have the same issues.
                After a few hours some events don't run anymore.
                Restarting HS solves the problem.
                Sometimes it is only 2 or 3 hours, sometimes 1 or 2 days.
                Are you serious? Well at least I'm not crazy... LOL. Maybe we have something in common with our systems? Did you make a huge upgrade jump at some time in the past? I upgraded from version 3.0.0.218 to 3.0.0.298

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                I was on .297 for a while and now on .304 and have not seen this issue. I'm wondering if an upgrade with that large of a "jump" between versions is related? Perhaps something changed in between that the latest versions require to be there. I would also check for .net issues and run a repair on it.
                Cheers
                Al
                Al, interesting comment on the version jump, I was thinking about that myself. What would be your suggestion on a next version upgrade if I went back to my original version 3.0.0.218?

On .net how do you initiate a repair on it with Windows 10? I will do a Google search, it appears that .net is almost built in at the OS level.

I have stayed on version 3.0.0.218 because it was really stable for me. Once I diabled the Windows Update service the server just runs... However we are wanting to integrate a Amazon Echo sometime, and probably should make the jump to a later release to catch up on all the new exciting stuff.

Thanks
                Billy

Comment

Latest updates to Windows 10 disable the ability to stop your machine from updating.

You can delay it but not stop it.

I have attached a couple of dot net utilities that show versions and repairs (or re installs). Not sure if these work with W10 today but worked fine with W7.

Back when running HS2 on Windows Server I would always shut down HS before doing any updates to the OS just in case.

For a while while running Linux I would update the box in vivo with Homeseer running. That isn't working anymore as there are dependencies running now that get updated and shut down parts of my HS stuff (Oracle VBs)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pete; February 6, 2017, 10:26 AM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                    Latest updates to Windows 10 disable the ability to stop your machine from updating.

You can delay it but not stop it.
                    Thanks Pete. Yea I know... The machine I have has the latest updates as of last week. I also checked again before preforming the HomeSeer update and was up-to-date. I manually start up the service and do the check myself. Just want to have a little control over the process rather than Windows deciding to do it when it wants too... this approach seems to work better for me.
                    Billy

Comment

Billy,

Just a shot in the dark, but did you update any of the 3 files for Jon's charting utility yet in the bin directory with the new ones from .298?

Robert

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by langenet; February 6, 2017, 04:23 PM.
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet
                        Billy,

Just a shot in the dark, but did you update any of the 3 files for Jon's charting utility yet in the bin directory with the new ones from .298?

Robert

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                        Thanks Robert great suggestion, however I did update the files for Jon's plugin.
                        Billy

Comment

Not sure it helps, other than to give info. I know the event engine had a massive overhaul in relation to handling scripts (another bug). I can't remember the version it started, but do know that .29x has those changes. I also vaguely remember hearing about this issue during that change. I am on .293 and scared to go higher because of the mess I went thru during the script issues last summer and my system is currently stable.

I think Al might be onto something though with the massive jump in versions you are trying to take and the changes that were put in for the event engine.

I don't know if there is a repository out there for older versions, but if there is, maybe do baby jumps up in versions? It wouldn't surprise me if there is a dependency needed somewhere in previously released versions that later versions expect to be there and it was removed?? I am just guessing now though.

Edit: Oh and they threaded the event engine during those changes too, which i suspect is related to the issue you are seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                            Not sure it helps, other than to give info. I know the event engine had a massive overhaul in relation to handling scripts (another bug). I can't remember the version it started, but do know that .29x has those changes. I also vaguely remember hearing about this issue during that change. I am on .293 and scared to go higher because of the mess I went thru during the script issues last summer and my system is currently stable.

I think Al might be onto something though with the massive jump in versions you are trying to take and the changes that were put in for the event engine.

I don't know if there is a repository out there for older versions, but if there is, maybe do baby jumps up in versions? It wouldn't surprise me if there is a dependency needed somewhere in previously released versions that later versions expect to be there and it was removed?? I am just guessing now though.

Edit: Oh and they threaded the event engine during those changes too, which i suspect is related to the issue you are seeing.
                            Thanks, I appreciate the information. I reverted back to version 3.0.0.218 last night as with version 3.0.0.298 the events had stopped processing again. I did not spot anything in the HomeSeer log, or the Windows logs that points to any problem... I will try making a smaller version jump and see if this helps.

Looking at the release notes here https://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176440

I was able to find and download version 3.0.0.241, I will start here and install this version and climb up the list to see if the event issue pops back up. I will keep a record of what the versions installed and hopefully this will somehow solve this issue.

I will let you know and post the findings.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
                            Billy

Comment

Taking the advice of others, I decided to take smaller leaps of updates until reaching HomeSeer version 3.0.0.298, below are my results.

HomeSeer 3 Stats
                              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.298
                              Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home - Work Station
                              Number of Devices: 685
                              Number of Events: 260
                              Available Threads: 200

Enabled Plug-Ins and Scripts
                              3.2.0.5: APCUPSD
                              1.0.0.131: Arduino Plugin
                              0.0.0.33: Current Cost 3P
                              3.0.0.56: DSC Security
                              3.0.0.1: HS iTunes
                              3.0.0.104: HSTouch Server
                              3.0.6.0: Insteon
                              3.0.0.11: NetCAM
                              3.0.1.75: PHLocation
                              2.0.0.0: Random
                              3.0.0.62: weatherXML
                              3.0.1.74: Z-Wave
                              1.1.3: Jon00 Database Graphing Utility
                              1.0.2: Jon00 Device List Viewer
                              1.0.2: Jon00 Event List Viewer
                              1.0.3: Jon00 Horoscopes
                              1.0.0: Jon00 HTML to Image
                              1.0.0: Jon00 IPUpdate
                              1.0.2: Jon00 Performance Monitor
                              1.0.3: Jon00 Process Monitor
                              1.0.8: Jon00 Remote Computer Control & Network Monitor
                              1.0.3: Jon00 Virtual Device Graphing
                              1.0.4: Jon00 Web Page Builder
                              1.0.0: Jon00 Whois

These steps were followed to upgrade HomeSeer version 3.0.0.218 to 3.0.0.298. Each time the system was started after an upgrade, HomeSeer was left on-line for a little over 1 hour before the next upgrade.

Shutdown HomeSeer 3.0.0.218
                              Backup HomeSeer 3.0.0.218 for possible restore

Upgrade to HomeSeer 3.0.0.241 - no issues during upgrade
                              Startup HomeSeer 3.0.0.241 - no issues reported in HomeSeer log
                              Checked HomeSeer version, plugins, devices and events. Operated devices and ran test events, no issues reported
                              Shutdown HomeSeer 3.0.0.241

Upgrade to HomeSeer 3.0.0.243 - no issues during upgrade
                              Startup HomeSeer 3.0.0.243 - no issues reported in HomeSeer log
                              Checked HomeSeer version, plugins, devices and events. Operated devices and ran test events, no issues reported
                              Shutdown HomeSeer 3.0.0.243

Upgrade to HomeSeer 3.0.0.258 - no issues during upgrade
                              Startup HomeSeer 3.0.0.258 - no issues reported in HomeSeer log
                              Shutdown HomeSeer 3.0.0.258

Upgrade to HomeSeer 3.0.0.280 - no issues during upgrade
                              Startup HomeSeer 3.0.0.280 - no issues reported in HomeSeer log
                              Shutdown HomeSeer 3.0.0.280

Upgrade to HomeSeer 3.0.0.281 - no issues during upgrade
                              Startup HomeSeer 3.0.0.281 - no issues reported in HomeSeer log
                              Shutdown HomeSeer 3.0.0.281

Upgrade to HomeSeer 3.0.0.283 - no issues during upgrade
                              Startup HomeSeer 3.0.0.283 - no issues reported in HomeSeer log
                              Shutdown HomeSeer 3.0.0.283

Upgrade to HomeSeer 3.0.0.288 - no issues during upgrade
                              Startup HomeSeer 3.0.0.288 - no issues reported in HomeSeer log
                              Shutdown HomeSeer 3.0.0.288

Upgrade to HomeSeer 3.0.0.293 - no issues during upgrade
                              Startup HomeSeer 3.0.0.292 - no issues reported in HomeSeer log
                              Shutdown HomeSeer 3.0.0.293

Upgrade to HomeSeer 3.0.0.298 - no issues during upgrade
                              Startup HomeSeer 3.0.0.298 - no issues reported in HomeSeer log

So then I rebooted the entire system, HomeSeer version 3.0.0.298 came on-line without any issues and I waited to see how long it would run... My wait was roughly 9 to 10 hours until events stopped running, this happened 4 times and was roughly the same every time. I was still able to control all devices, however when I executed a event from the events page, the log would indicate the action by displaying "Event <Event Name> triggered by the event page 'Run' button" but the event never executed... What was even more interesting is that I could not copy an event after events stopped executing. That one was just strange and thought it was worth mentioning.

At a loss, I figured that I had several ways to go, I could roll back to version 3.0.0.218 and start again by just upgrading by one version and waiting several days before attempting the next upgrade to see when or if the issue starts or I could apply version 3.0.0.307 and see how that goes... I applied this beta version and have been running fine for over 24 hours. It is much better than 8 hours, but to early to tell if I am out of the woods yet.

I found this post https://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=184678 and it seems similar to the issue I was experiencing...

Going to let a little time pass and see how this goes...

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help ad suggestions.
                              Billy

Comment

Working...
                              X